With Atlanta United forward Josef Martinez scoring goals at a pace never before seen in MLS, there's no doubt other players worthy of Landon Donovan MVP Award consideration are drawing less attention than they might normally.
One of them, says New York City FC winger Rodney Wallace, is midfield teammate Maxi Moralez.
“He’s still underrated in my eyes,” Wallace told MLSsoccer.com. “He doesn’t get as much buzz as other players, but he’s [maybe putting in] more work than a lot of the players who get the shine. For me, he’s a player who should be considered for MVP where he is right now and where we know he can take us. We have a lot of season left, and I know he’s not done. And we’re not done collectively.”
Moralez is on pace to double his offensive statistical production from his debut MLS campaign a year ago, with eight goals and 12 assists in 23 games so far. The 31-year-old Argentine is second in the league in assists behind Kaku of the New York Red Bulls.
Moralez credits being more acclimated to the league, to his surroundings and to his teammates for his growth in production.
“I think now knowing the league and competition more, I feel more comfortable, more calm, and play with much more freedom,” Moralez told MLSsoccer.com. “You also notice that the team is improving, and that all ties in together.”
Having Moralez on the field is “like having extra eyes and extra legs out there because he does so much work," Wallace said. "Not only with the ball, but not many people notice what he does off the ball, how smart he is, his pressure.”
Moralez also feels more comfortable in a leadership role in his second season, which has been crucial with star striker David Villa limited to 10 games because of a variety of injuries.
“I think that this year he just took it up a notch, to a whole different level, and it starts with his leadership,” Wallace said. “He sets the tempo of the game and he’s embraced that role of ‘OK, I’m going to be the man, you give me the ball and I’m going to make things happen.’ We follow him, we bought into what his role is and we’re all just fortunate to be able to play around him and be able to contribute to the big picture of the team.”
For midfield partner Alex Ring, there’s been no change in Moralez’s play year over year. The difference is only more statistical results.
“I think he played like this last year too, minus the amount of goals he scored already and the assists, but I think offensively he was as big a key as this year,” Ring told MLSsoccer.com. “I know why you guys push him now because he has the stats to back it up. But he played like this last year. I think he was fantastic.”
NYCFC boss Dome Torrent, who took over the side in midseason, said Moralez is an invaluable resource for a coach in his position because of how he leads and especially interacts with the club’s younger players. He said he leans on Moralez and speaks with him after every training session about how he wants NYCFC to play.
“Maxi, right now without David, is a key man for us,” Torrent said. “Maxi is very important for us because Maxi and David are the bosses. They have more experience than others and they are amazing players, but amazing people especially with the young players like [Valentin Castellanos], like Jesus [Medina]. It’s very important for us to have two players like David and Maxi.”
Autore: Stefano Bentivogli / Twitter: @sbentivogli10
Other news - Top Stories
- 16:00 Lee: "We just have to thank Tinnerholm for what he has done for us"
- 14:00 David Lee reveals the reasons behind the departure of Alex Callens from New York City FC
- 07:00 NYCFC, David Lee praises great players who have left the club
- 21:30 Lee: "It was exciting to be back at Yankee Stadium with our fans"
- 20:30 Fans and the will to win: the perfect combination for NYCFC
- 20:00 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal bring back defender Gabriele Corbo from Italy's Bologna FC
- 19:45 OFFICIAL - DC United sign Lewis O'Brien on loan from Nottingham Forest
- 19:00 MLS - Colorado Rapids captain Jack Price out for 2023 with Achilles tendon injury
- 18:30 PSG, Barcelona or MLS: Leo Messi's great dilemma
- 17:36 NYCFC, Talles Magno's return to score is extremely important
- 13:30 NYCFC 3-2 DC UNITED: THE HIGHLIGHTS
- 12:30 NYCFC-DC United 3-2, Cushing: "I can't praise our fans enough"
- 11:10 NYCFC-DC United 3-2: second straight win
- 22:31 NYCFC, there are no injuries. Full squad against DC United
- 01:00 Cushing: "We have to fight to get as many playoff games here in front of our fans"
- 23:30 NYCFC, must turn Yankee Stadium into its fortress
- 22:40 NYCFC, Cushing: "We must have more consistency in performance"
- 21:54 NYCFC vs DC United, Cushing: "We have to play the best for our fans"
- 21:31 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Signs Midfielder Jonathan Shore to a Homegrown Contract
- 13:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "We wanted to win for our fans"
- 11:30 NYCFC 1-0 INTER MIAMI CF: the Blues take their first victory
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: “We’re really excited to play at home"
- 22:17 Leagues Cup - NYCFC To Face Toronto FC & Atlas FC
- 23:34 Here we are! The blue tide is ready to welcome NYCFC
- 22:22 Cushing on Sands: "He acquired great maturity in Europe"
- 11:54 eSports - Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, this is how it ended with Fifa23 | VIDEO
- 11:33 Chicago Fire 1-1 NYCFC, first point of the season
- 23:44 NYCFC, Sands crucial player already available against Chicago Fire
- 21:41 Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, two players unavailable for Cushing
- 15:35 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Acquired Midfielder Santiago Rodriguez
- 01:52 Cufrè: "Exciting debut, we want to improve against Chicago"
- 00:50 Nick Cushing on Tayvon Gray's condition: 'He's still working, but it will be difficult for him'
- 23:15 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: ”We Have To Create The Moment"
- 11:08 NYCFC, incomplete team, there's a lot to work for Cushing
- 14:30 NYCFC, Chanot: "We’re very excited for the beginning of the season"
- 13:12 Injury Report | Clean Bill of Health For Nashville Trip
- 19:13 NYCFC ends the preseason with a loss. Cufre's debut
- 15:44 OFFICIAL - Charlotte FC exercise offseason buyout on Yordy Reyna
- 15:12 OFFICIAL - Houston Dynamo FC have signed defender Tate Schmitt
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing has no doubts about the great help that the newcomer will be able to give
- 22:39 NYCFC, Cushing: "I rely heavily on the leadership of veterans"
- 18:31 OFFICIAL - Sebastián Driussi signs long-term extension with Austin FC
- 15:02 OFFICIAL - Real Salt Lake sign Colombian defender Brayan Vera
- 13:46 Preseason Update: NYCFC vs. San Diego Loyal friendly has been cancelled
- 23:09 Callens debuts in Spain but leaves a void in New York
- 21:46 New York City FC restarts from veteran players
- 20:25 Jankto reveals: "I'm gay and I don't want to hide anymore". Homosexuality in soccer remains a taboo
- 17:22 NYCFC will be a season of great responsibility for Alfredo Morales
- 15:27 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal have signed forward Jules-Anthony Vilsaint
- 12:40 NYCFC, Santi Rodriguez is ready to make a comeback