David Villa is definitely the leading player in New York City FC. Also against D.C. United, El Guaje was decisive, avoiding the City defeat at Yankee Stadium.
Losing back at home would have been detrimental for New York, but fortunately it took a great effort from the captain, with a masterpiece on a free kick five minutes from the end of the match, to avoid defeat.
The game against D.C. United could have given NYC FC the second consecutive defeat at home for New York, the first being a defeat by New England. Saturday’s game was similar, with New York dominating then suffering from the first attack of the opponent. The opportunities for the Blues were not lacking, but only David Villa managed to hit the goal and score the equalizer.
New York City suffered from the captain’s absence in the season. Villa was often left out due to injury, but on the pitch he always gave his best. With that goal against D.C.United, he now has 11 goals scored in MLS, despite El Guaje missing several games due to injury. Numbers show how dependent New York is on the Spanish striker, who is the most decisive player on the team. Without detracting from the other players and the other strikers of the City, Villa is the true leader of the Blues.
Other news - Top Stories
- 01:00 Leeds United, interest in Valentin Castellanos persists
- 00:04 Taty Castellanos transfer latest: NYCFC maintain $15 million valuation
- 23:31 NYCFC, David Lee: "Cushing is a fantastic coach"
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: "It's A Huge Privilege To Lead The Team"
- 22:37 Ronny Deila leaves NYCFC: replaced by Nick Cushing
- 20:46 OFFICIAL - Chiellini is a new player of LAFC
- 09:59 NYCFC coach Ronny Deila "in conversations" with Standard Liège of Belgium
- 23:49 New York City FC, solid team and iron defense
- 23:25 NYCFC, the dream of getting Leo Messi vanishes
- 21:00 Kickoff Times Announced for Hudson River Derby and Matches Against Charlotte FC
- 20:04 #NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "Today We Showed How To Win Away"
- 20:30 Deila on Castellanos: "He goes 100% in every challenge"
- 20:00 D.C.UNITED vs NYCFC, Deila: "It's a tough game"
- 19:18 NYCFC extend Maxime Chanot contract through 2024 MLS season
- 18:30 #NYCFC, a young team with a great future
- 17:00 #NYCFC, Maxi Moralez gives more depth to the team
- 15:30 #NYCFC, Talles Magno ne striker of the Blues
- 14:00 #NYCFC, strong finish at Yankee Stadium
- 16:00 NYCFC 2 - 0 Columbus Crew: Match Highlights - VIDEO
- 15:00 #NYCFC Deila on Maxi Moralez: “He is the smartest football player on that pitch"
- 13:55 #NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We Have Been Consistent"
- 21:27 NYCFC, Two Questionable For Columbus Crew
- 21:21 #NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We Are Prepared For Columbus"
- 16:00 Deila: "It wasn’t our best day but at the same time we get a point"
- 15:00 NYCFC 0 - 0 Sporting Kansas City: Match Highlights - VIDEO
- 14:51 #NYCFCSKC, Ronny Deila: "We Defended Really Well"
- 20:00 NYCFC, Maxime Chanot is available but will have to wear a mask
- 18:30 Kansas City, four players out against New York City FC
- 17:00 NYCFC, two out against Kansas. Castellanos is questionable
- 15:30 Ronny Deila on Talles Magno: "I am very happy with the progress he has made"
- 14:00 NYCFC, Deila: "I hope for the support of many fans"
- 10:04 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "You Cannot Underestimate Kansas"
- 23:00 NYCFC, Maxi Moralez and Thiago Martins are available against San Jose Earthquakes
- 22:30 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "It's very important to play in front of our fans"
- 21:56 #NYCFCSJEARTHQUAKES, Ronny Deila: "We Must Match Their Intensity"
- 21:56 NYCFC vs Seattle Sounders, Ronny Deila: "We Must Attack The Situation"
- 21:52 NYCFC, two key players out for the CONCACAF Champions League semifinal
- 16:00 NYCFC, hunt for the first goal of the season in MLS
- 15:00 New York City FC, Ronny Deila: "We missed our fans"
- 17:00 NYCFC, clean sheet but the attack is sterile
- 16:01 Vancouver Whitecaps 0-0 NYCFC, Deila: "We didn't take our chances"
- 15:44 NYCFC: first point won, victory postponed
- 19:00 NYCFC Signs Academy Product Maximo Carrizo
- 17:54 New York City FC, good performance but bitter result for the Blues