New York City FC defeated Philadelphia Union 4-2 on Saturday night in the Bronx, thanks to goals from two Argentine Blues: Maxi Moralez and Valentin Castellanos.
Coming into the match, the team knew the task of going head-to-head with the Eastern Conference leaders without seven first-teamers would be tough but NYC's Albiceleste duo came through in fine style.
Moralez, one of MLS’s best playmakers over the last three seasons, scored twice from the penalty spot and made both assists for two goals from Castellanos to cap the night and secure the three points for their team.
Maxi is also viewed as a role model for young Latin Americans pursuing a career in the world’s game which is a mantle he takes seriously.
Maxi explained post-game: “As someone who is Latin, it's always important to have your family with you and have their support. You can always reach your dream. We know what it is to be Latin in the United States and in this league there are many, so fight for your dream.”
Castellanos is the perfect example of a young Latin player pursuing his dream and he earned the opportunity to start for City in the absence of the injured Héber.
To say he seized would be an understatement.
“I know I also had several chances to create opportunities with penalties and to score. Honestly, I am very happy because it helped the team and I felt very comfortable in that position,” Taty said. “Dome told me to stay around the box because they were crossing the ball over and the ball kept bouncing in the box with no one around, so I focused on that and tried to improve and I think it worked well for the team.”
Dome certainly approved.
“You know, it’s very important that I say that all of them deserve to play and that I don’t have a doubt about Taty because I say many times in the facilities, he never gave up and he did everything he could to convince the coaches,” Dome Torrent stated.
Taty’s presence on the field paid off, but he couldn’t do it without veteran, Maxi Moralez.
The team’s 2018 Player of the Season, Moralez, scored his fourth and fifth goals of the season and showed exactly why All-Star Head Coach, James O’Connor, selected him to be on the 26-man roster.
Continuing to blaze the trail for Latin players in MLS, Moralez will be making his first All-Star cap on July 31, in Orlando, with the league's top players, such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Carlos Vela, and Wayne Rooney.
As for the team, NYCFC has now only tasted defeat once this season, extended their unbeaten streak to 13 games in all tournaments and now have the best points per game rate in the East.
But we’re just getting started.
Other news - Top Stories
- 20:03 Sean Johnson best player in the Hudson River Derby: a reason for pride but also for concern
- 19:23 NYCFC, Ronny Deila under accusation: an immediate change of direction is needed
- 15:55 Ronny Deila: "We have lost three points, we can do better than that"
- 11:18 NYCFC 0-1 Red Bulls: the Blues defeated in the Hudson River Derby
- 00:17 NYCFC, Deila: "We are one, we are a family"
- 14:54 NYCFC, Ronny Deila prepares tactical changes in the Hudson River Derby
- 13:09 NYCFC, two heavy absences for Deila in view of the Hudson River Derby
- 14:32 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Match Highlights
- 13:33 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Taty Castellanos is immediately decisive
- 15:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We need to simplify the way we play"
- 14:00 New York City FC is ready to embrace Taty Castellanos again
- 10:44 NYCFC, two players out against FC Cincinnati
- 23:22 Deila: "“There's a big chance that Heber is back in the squad for the game"
- 22:29 NYCFC, Castellanos unavailable against FC Dallas. Ronny Deila evaluates the alternatives
- 19:00 NYCFC's Injury Report - Heber and Telles Magno out against Toronto FC
- 18:30 Ibeagha: "I will truly miss NYCFC"
- 18:08 OFFICIAL - New York City FC trades Sebastien Ibeagha to Los Angeles FC
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales