New York City FC defeated Philadelphia Union 4-2 on Saturday night in the Bronx, thanks to goals from two Argentine Blues: Maxi Moralez and Valentin Castellanos.
Coming into the match, the team knew the task of going head-to-head with the Eastern Conference leaders without seven first-teamers would be tough but NYC's Albiceleste duo came through in fine style.
Moralez, one of MLS’s best playmakers over the last three seasons, scored twice from the penalty spot and made both assists for two goals from Castellanos to cap the night and secure the three points for their team.
Maxi is also viewed as a role model for young Latin Americans pursuing a career in the world’s game which is a mantle he takes seriously.
Maxi explained post-game: “As someone who is Latin, it's always important to have your family with you and have their support. You can always reach your dream. We know what it is to be Latin in the United States and in this league there are many, so fight for your dream.”
Castellanos is the perfect example of a young Latin player pursuing his dream and he earned the opportunity to start for City in the absence of the injured Héber.
To say he seized would be an understatement.
“I know I also had several chances to create opportunities with penalties and to score. Honestly, I am very happy because it helped the team and I felt very comfortable in that position,” Taty said. “Dome told me to stay around the box because they were crossing the ball over and the ball kept bouncing in the box with no one around, so I focused on that and tried to improve and I think it worked well for the team.”
Dome certainly approved.
“You know, it’s very important that I say that all of them deserve to play and that I don’t have a doubt about Taty because I say many times in the facilities, he never gave up and he did everything he could to convince the coaches,” Dome Torrent stated.
Taty’s presence on the field paid off, but he couldn’t do it without veteran, Maxi Moralez.
The team’s 2018 Player of the Season, Moralez, scored his fourth and fifth goals of the season and showed exactly why All-Star Head Coach, James O’Connor, selected him to be on the 26-man roster.
Continuing to blaze the trail for Latin players in MLS, Moralez will be making his first All-Star cap on July 31, in Orlando, with the league's top players, such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Carlos Vela, and Wayne Rooney.
As for the team, NYCFC has now only tasted defeat once this season, extended their unbeaten streak to 13 games in all tournaments and now have the best points per game rate in the East.
But we’re just getting started.
Autore: Stefano Bentivogli
Other news - Top Stories
- 16:00 Lee: "We just have to thank Tinnerholm for what he has done for us"
- 14:00 David Lee reveals the reasons behind the departure of Alex Callens from New York City FC
- 07:00 NYCFC, David Lee praises great players who have left the club
- 21:30 Lee: "It was exciting to be back at Yankee Stadium with our fans"
- 20:30 Fans and the will to win: the perfect combination for NYCFC
- 20:00 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal bring back defender Gabriele Corbo from Italy's Bologna FC
- 19:45 OFFICIAL - DC United sign Lewis O'Brien on loan from Nottingham Forest
- 19:00 MLS - Colorado Rapids captain Jack Price out for 2023 with Achilles tendon injury
- 18:30 PSG, Barcelona or MLS: Leo Messi's great dilemma
- 17:36 NYCFC, Talles Magno's return to score is extremely important
- 13:30 NYCFC 3-2 DC UNITED: THE HIGHLIGHTS
- 12:30 NYCFC-DC United 3-2, Cushing: "I can't praise our fans enough"
- 11:10 NYCFC-DC United 3-2: second straight win
- 22:31 NYCFC, there are no injuries. Full squad against DC United
- 01:00 Cushing: "We have to fight to get as many playoff games here in front of our fans"
- 23:30 NYCFC, must turn Yankee Stadium into its fortress
- 22:40 NYCFC, Cushing: "We must have more consistency in performance"
- 21:54 NYCFC vs DC United, Cushing: "We have to play the best for our fans"
- 21:31 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Signs Midfielder Jonathan Shore to a Homegrown Contract
- 13:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "We wanted to win for our fans"
- 11:30 NYCFC 1-0 INTER MIAMI CF: the Blues take their first victory
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: “We’re really excited to play at home"
- 22:17 Leagues Cup - NYCFC To Face Toronto FC & Atlas FC
- 23:34 Here we are! The blue tide is ready to welcome NYCFC
- 22:22 Cushing on Sands: "He acquired great maturity in Europe"
- 11:54 eSports - Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, this is how it ended with Fifa23 | VIDEO
- 11:33 Chicago Fire 1-1 NYCFC, first point of the season
- 23:44 NYCFC, Sands crucial player already available against Chicago Fire
- 21:41 Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, two players unavailable for Cushing
- 15:35 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Acquired Midfielder Santiago Rodriguez
- 01:52 Cufrè: "Exciting debut, we want to improve against Chicago"
- 00:50 Nick Cushing on Tayvon Gray's condition: 'He's still working, but it will be difficult for him'
- 23:15 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: ”We Have To Create The Moment"
- 11:08 NYCFC, incomplete team, there's a lot to work for Cushing
- 14:30 NYCFC, Chanot: "We’re very excited for the beginning of the season"
- 13:12 Injury Report | Clean Bill of Health For Nashville Trip
- 19:13 NYCFC ends the preseason with a loss. Cufre's debut
- 15:44 OFFICIAL - Charlotte FC exercise offseason buyout on Yordy Reyna
- 15:12 OFFICIAL - Houston Dynamo FC have signed defender Tate Schmitt
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing has no doubts about the great help that the newcomer will be able to give
- 22:39 NYCFC, Cushing: "I rely heavily on the leadership of veterans"
- 18:31 OFFICIAL - Sebastián Driussi signs long-term extension with Austin FC
- 15:02 OFFICIAL - Real Salt Lake sign Colombian defender Brayan Vera
- 13:46 Preseason Update: NYCFC vs. San Diego Loyal friendly has been cancelled
- 23:09 Callens debuts in Spain but leaves a void in New York
- 21:46 New York City FC restarts from veteran players
- 20:25 Jankto reveals: "I'm gay and I don't want to hide anymore". Homosexuality in soccer remains a taboo
- 17:22 NYCFC will be a season of great responsibility for Alfredo Morales
- 15:27 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal have signed forward Jules-Anthony Vilsaint
- 12:40 NYCFC, Santi Rodriguez is ready to make a comeback