New York City FC defeated Philadelphia Union 4-2 on Saturday night in the Bronx, thanks to goals from two Argentine Blues: Maxi Moralez and Valentin Castellanos.
Coming into the match, the team knew the task of going head-to-head with the Eastern Conference leaders without seven first-teamers would be tough but NYC's Albiceleste duo came through in fine style.
Moralez, one of MLS’s best playmakers over the last three seasons, scored twice from the penalty spot and made both assists for two goals from Castellanos to cap the night and secure the three points for their team.
Maxi is also viewed as a role model for young Latin Americans pursuing a career in the world’s game which is a mantle he takes seriously.
Maxi explained post-game: “As someone who is Latin, it's always important to have your family with you and have their support. You can always reach your dream. We know what it is to be Latin in the United States and in this league there are many, so fight for your dream.”
Castellanos is the perfect example of a young Latin player pursuing his dream and he earned the opportunity to start for City in the absence of the injured Héber.
To say he seized would be an understatement.
“I know I also had several chances to create opportunities with penalties and to score. Honestly, I am very happy because it helped the team and I felt very comfortable in that position,” Taty said. “Dome told me to stay around the box because they were crossing the ball over and the ball kept bouncing in the box with no one around, so I focused on that and tried to improve and I think it worked well for the team.”
Dome certainly approved.
“You know, it’s very important that I say that all of them deserve to play and that I don’t have a doubt about Taty because I say many times in the facilities, he never gave up and he did everything he could to convince the coaches,” Dome Torrent stated.
Taty’s presence on the field paid off, but he couldn’t do it without veteran, Maxi Moralez.
The team’s 2018 Player of the Season, Moralez, scored his fourth and fifth goals of the season and showed exactly why All-Star Head Coach, James O’Connor, selected him to be on the 26-man roster.
Continuing to blaze the trail for Latin players in MLS, Moralez will be making his first All-Star cap on July 31, in Orlando, with the league's top players, such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Carlos Vela, and Wayne Rooney.
As for the team, NYCFC has now only tasted defeat once this season, extended their unbeaten streak to 13 games in all tournaments and now have the best points per game rate in the East.
But we’re just getting started.
Altre notizie - Top Stories
- 22:10 Full Team Training | Gary Mackay-Steven
- 21:59 Sean Johnson on NYCFC's MLS is Back Tournament group draw: We're not looking for excuses
- 15:00 Keaton Parks: "We're excited to get back and play again"
- 14:00 Deila Reaction to Group Stage Draw
- 22:46 Ronny Deila: It will be hard for NYCFC to keep James Sands from European offers
- 14:00 MLS is Back - The thoughts of Ronny Deila
- 07:56 MLS is Back Tournament - Maxi Moralez shares his thoughts
- 22:30 MLS is Back!
- 15:00 NYCFC is working on the second start of the MLS
- 14:00 The meteors passed in New York: Eloi Amagat
- 14:00 MLS Players Association Approves Restart Plan
- 13:00 Plan set for MLS return to full team training with testing ahead of season restart
- 21:24 Sean Johnson on Hudson River Derby, players he most wants to beat
- 18:53 New York Governor Cuomo: "Encourage major sports to plan for reopening"
- 22:00 Why Jack Harrison saw NYCFC as his best bet to get back home to England
- 21:48 David Villa's MVP talent, everyman work ethic put NYCFC on the map
- 21:48 FC Cincinnati had contact with Dome Torrent for head coach, but no interview
- 15:00 Ronny Deila watching every 2019 match, learning Spanish during break
- 14:00 Ronald Matarrita: Costa Rica is the best team in Concacaf
- 19:00 NYCFC donates 100,000 meals to NY Common Pantry in coronavirus relief effort
- 18:27 NYCFC, An Update from Brad Sims
- 20:00 NYCFC helping with coronavirus impact close to home
- 19:39 NYCFC Meets with Ian Joy Powered by Cisco Webex | Ronny Deila
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos