Valentin Castellanos has taken an unusual route in his playing career, but the road is paved with rewards for the youngster.
The 20-year-old NYCFC attacker received a call-up to Argentina's U-23 squad for two friendlies against Mexico next month, and that selection has helped validate the decisions he's made in his career.
"Personally, I am very happy with this start with the national team, so it is very nice for me," Castellanos told Futbol MLS's Ariel Judas on Friday. "I always dreamed of wearing the Argentina shirt, as a kid, and it is when the club is in the playoffs and we are having a good time with New York City FC."
The Mendoza, Argentina native has not played in his native country at the pro level, instead kicking off his first-team career in Chile at Universidad de Chile and then heading to Uruguay to play at Torque. From the latter club, owned by the same City Football Group as NYCFC, he joined the MLS outfit during the 2018 season and the Cityzens picked up his loan option in the offseason.
This year, following an acclimation period Castellanos has truly taken off, notching 11 goals and five assists in 29 league matches to date, and at times carrying the side when other attackers have been out of the lineup.
The success this year demonstrates that making the move to MLS was the right move for Castellanos.
"I knew it was the right decision to come to MLS. Everyone sees this league. It is growing much more. As I always say: Here players not only come to retire, but there are young players, with much potential in almost all the teams. I take it as something very positive. I never gave up; I knew that at some point [the Argentine national team] were going to be watching the league. There are many people who already see it. I'm having a good time and now I'm enjoying it."
And Castellanos' coach Dome Torrent, one of his biggest backers, is pleased the budding star is getting more recognition.
"I'm happy for Taty, because I think he deserves to play with his team," he said. "In the last six months he played at an outstanding level for us. He is a warrior. I knew he was close to being able to play with the national team. It's good news."
Autore: Stefano Bentivogli
Other news - Top Stories
- 16:00 Lee: "We just have to thank Tinnerholm for what he has done for us"
- 14:00 David Lee reveals the reasons behind the departure of Alex Callens from New York City FC
- 07:00 NYCFC, David Lee praises great players who have left the club
- 21:30 Lee: "It was exciting to be back at Yankee Stadium with our fans"
- 20:30 Fans and the will to win: the perfect combination for NYCFC
- 20:00 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal bring back defender Gabriele Corbo from Italy's Bologna FC
- 19:45 OFFICIAL - DC United sign Lewis O'Brien on loan from Nottingham Forest
- 19:00 MLS - Colorado Rapids captain Jack Price out for 2023 with Achilles tendon injury
- 18:30 PSG, Barcelona or MLS: Leo Messi's great dilemma
- 17:36 NYCFC, Talles Magno's return to score is extremely important
- 13:30 NYCFC 3-2 DC UNITED: THE HIGHLIGHTS
- 12:30 NYCFC-DC United 3-2, Cushing: "I can't praise our fans enough"
- 11:10 NYCFC-DC United 3-2: second straight win
- 22:31 NYCFC, there are no injuries. Full squad against DC United
- 01:00 Cushing: "We have to fight to get as many playoff games here in front of our fans"
- 23:30 NYCFC, must turn Yankee Stadium into its fortress
- 22:40 NYCFC, Cushing: "We must have more consistency in performance"
- 21:54 NYCFC vs DC United, Cushing: "We have to play the best for our fans"
- 21:31 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Signs Midfielder Jonathan Shore to a Homegrown Contract
- 13:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "We wanted to win for our fans"
- 11:30 NYCFC 1-0 INTER MIAMI CF: the Blues take their first victory
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: “We’re really excited to play at home"
- 22:17 Leagues Cup - NYCFC To Face Toronto FC & Atlas FC
- 23:34 Here we are! The blue tide is ready to welcome NYCFC
- 22:22 Cushing on Sands: "He acquired great maturity in Europe"
- 11:54 eSports - Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, this is how it ended with Fifa23 | VIDEO
- 11:33 Chicago Fire 1-1 NYCFC, first point of the season
- 23:44 NYCFC, Sands crucial player already available against Chicago Fire
- 21:41 Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, two players unavailable for Cushing
- 15:35 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Acquired Midfielder Santiago Rodriguez
- 01:52 Cufrè: "Exciting debut, we want to improve against Chicago"
- 00:50 Nick Cushing on Tayvon Gray's condition: 'He's still working, but it will be difficult for him'
- 23:15 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: ”We Have To Create The Moment"
- 11:08 NYCFC, incomplete team, there's a lot to work for Cushing
- 14:30 NYCFC, Chanot: "We’re very excited for the beginning of the season"
- 13:12 Injury Report | Clean Bill of Health For Nashville Trip
- 19:13 NYCFC ends the preseason with a loss. Cufre's debut
- 15:44 OFFICIAL - Charlotte FC exercise offseason buyout on Yordy Reyna
- 15:12 OFFICIAL - Houston Dynamo FC have signed defender Tate Schmitt
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing has no doubts about the great help that the newcomer will be able to give
- 22:39 NYCFC, Cushing: "I rely heavily on the leadership of veterans"
- 18:31 OFFICIAL - Sebastián Driussi signs long-term extension with Austin FC
- 15:02 OFFICIAL - Real Salt Lake sign Colombian defender Brayan Vera
- 13:46 Preseason Update: NYCFC vs. San Diego Loyal friendly has been cancelled
- 23:09 Callens debuts in Spain but leaves a void in New York
- 21:46 New York City FC restarts from veteran players
- 20:25 Jankto reveals: "I'm gay and I don't want to hide anymore". Homosexuality in soccer remains a taboo
- 17:22 NYCFC will be a season of great responsibility for Alfredo Morales
- 15:27 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal have signed forward Jules-Anthony Vilsaint
- 12:40 NYCFC, Santi Rodriguez is ready to make a comeback