Valentin Castellanos has taken an unusual route in his playing career, but the road is paved with rewards for the youngster.
The 20-year-old NYCFC attacker received a call-up to Argentina's U-23 squad for two friendlies against Mexico next month, and that selection has helped validate the decisions he's made in his career.
"Personally, I am very happy with this start with the national team, so it is very nice for me," Castellanos told Futbol MLS's Ariel Judas on Friday. "I always dreamed of wearing the Argentina shirt, as a kid, and it is when the club is in the playoffs and we are having a good time with New York City FC."
The Mendoza, Argentina native has not played in his native country at the pro level, instead kicking off his first-team career in Chile at Universidad de Chile and then heading to Uruguay to play at Torque. From the latter club, owned by the same City Football Group as NYCFC, he joined the MLS outfit during the 2018 season and the Cityzens picked up his loan option in the offseason.
This year, following an acclimation period Castellanos has truly taken off, notching 11 goals and five assists in 29 league matches to date, and at times carrying the side when other attackers have been out of the lineup.
The success this year demonstrates that making the move to MLS was the right move for Castellanos.
"I knew it was the right decision to come to MLS. Everyone sees this league. It is growing much more. As I always say: Here players not only come to retire, but there are young players, with much potential in almost all the teams. I take it as something very positive. I never gave up; I knew that at some point [the Argentine national team] were going to be watching the league. There are many people who already see it. I'm having a good time and now I'm enjoying it."
And Castellanos' coach Dome Torrent, one of his biggest backers, is pleased the budding star is getting more recognition.
"I'm happy for Taty, because I think he deserves to play with his team," he said. "In the last six months he played at an outstanding level for us. He is a warrior. I knew he was close to being able to play with the national team. It's good news."
Other news - Top Stories
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales
- 22:30 NYCFC in talks to sign Fortuna Dusseldorf midfielder Alfredo Morales
- 21:37 New York City FC, Thiago is coming from Bahia
- 14:00 NYCFC, Sergio Aguero is free: a difficult but not impossible business
- 18:06 New York City FC’s preseason friendly with Nashville SC has been cancelled
- 16:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "We are strong, we are training hard "
- 15:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "This season will be much better than last season"
- 14:00 Ian Paul Joy of YESNetwork assures: "It will be a positive season for NYCFC"
- 21:56 NYCFC announced the full MLS 2021 schedule
- 00:05 NYCFC, the dangers of playing the MLS and the Leagues Cup
- 23:20 Deila: "We can't wait to face the challenge in this year's League Cup"
- 22:48 New York City FC will participate in the 2021 Leagues Cup
- 23:00 Lee: "Gloster is young but he has already great experience"
- 22:15 Gloster: "It's a great honor to be part of NYCFC"
- 21:51 OFFICIAL - NYCFC sign US youth international Chris Gloster from PSV
- 22:28 NYCFC, Deila on transfer market: "We look at different players"
- 18:26 NYCFC, Ronny Deila admits: "We need more quality players"
- 01:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We know how we can improve from the last season"
- 00:05 NYCFC, Brad Sims: "We are optimistic that we'll be able to welcome ourfans back to Yankee Stadium on April 24th"
- 23:10 MLS - CF Montréal named Wilfried Nancy head coach
- 22:00 NYCFC, David Lee: "We are delighted to welcome Gedion back for another season"
- 21:23 New York City FC announced the Club’s preseason roster for the 2021 season
- 21:15 NYCFC, Juan Pablo Torres Loaned Out
- 21:13 NYCFC, Gedion Zelalem re-signed a new contract