New York City FC has a multitude of issues to confront at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Sunday.
Atlanta United will host the Cityzens in the second leg of their MLS Eastern Conference semifinal series. The Five Stripes lead 1-0 on aggregate.
On the surface it looms to be a vital road goal for Atlanta but in the deeper psyche of the boys from the Bronx it may serve as a motivator for the team that was dreadful away from home in the regular year.
“We would have said 1-0 to us would have been a good result at home but then you have to go and think about defending that result,” NYCFC forward Jo Inge Berget told Pro Soccer USA. “Now its nothing to lose, we got a bad result so its just to go for it. We have to win away and that’s an easy mindset to have.”
Berget, along with City fullback Anton Tinnerholm, experienced the two-leg format in UEFA Champions League qualifying with Malmö FF last July. Malmö settled for a 1-1 home draw in the opening leg before losing 4-2 on aggregate to Macedonia side, Vardar.
New York City’s challenge is similar to Malmö’s according to Berget who has four goals and three assists in 24 matches for City.
“If we score they’re going to be nervous, they’ve (Atlanta) got the thing to lose now,” said Berget whose last goal was scored on June 30 against Chicago. “They’re at home and defending a lead. Its our time to go to their house and take something from them. I don’t say its an easy task to do but easy to be motivated.”
Little has been simple away from Yankee Stadium – New York City tied a franchise low with only four victories.
“In that perspective we have a lot of things to prove in this game,” Berget said. “We go to Atlanta 1-0 down and we have to win that game and we have to do it away. We’ve got a lot of things going against us but a lot of things to prove as well.”
In NYCFC’s only visit to Atlanta this year, the two sides played to an entertaining 2-2 draw. Berget drew a penalty that was converted by David Villa for City’s opening goal.
“It’s not going to be good enough now,” Berget said. “We have to go there for the win. I’m not sure how they are going to come out but I expect them to be a little bit aware that they are in the lead. We’ll have to fight to get our goal but at the same time our mind set will be extremely offensive all day knowing they have something to lose – that can work to our advantage if we use it right.”
Other news - Top Stories
- 20:03 Sean Johnson best player in the Hudson River Derby: a reason for pride but also for concern
- 19:23 NYCFC, Ronny Deila under accusation: an immediate change of direction is needed
- 15:55 Ronny Deila: "We have lost three points, we can do better than that"
- 11:18 NYCFC 0-1 Red Bulls: the Blues defeated in the Hudson River Derby
- 00:17 NYCFC, Deila: "We are one, we are a family"
- 14:54 NYCFC, Ronny Deila prepares tactical changes in the Hudson River Derby
- 13:09 NYCFC, two heavy absences for Deila in view of the Hudson River Derby
- 14:32 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Match Highlights
- 13:33 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Taty Castellanos is immediately decisive
- 15:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We need to simplify the way we play"
- 14:00 New York City FC is ready to embrace Taty Castellanos again
- 10:44 NYCFC, two players out against FC Cincinnati
- 23:22 Deila: "“There's a big chance that Heber is back in the squad for the game"
- 22:29 NYCFC, Castellanos unavailable against FC Dallas. Ronny Deila evaluates the alternatives
- 19:00 NYCFC's Injury Report - Heber and Telles Magno out against Toronto FC
- 18:30 Ibeagha: "I will truly miss NYCFC"
- 18:08 OFFICIAL - New York City FC trades Sebastien Ibeagha to Los Angeles FC
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales