Anyone who thought that New York City FC could replace David Villa with another great striker would have to put his soul in peace. The feeling is indeed that New York will not take big names in attack. Domenec Torrent was clear by saying that it is almost impossible to replace David Villa. In part, the Blues coach is right. It is difficult to find on the market a player with the qualities and charisma of Villa. Probably, there are none of his level, yet the market offers names of great attackers available and ready for an adventure in MLS. But the line that wants to keep New York is to focus on the team and not on the individual.
For this reason reinforcements will come, but not a great one that can replace and make like David Villa. Rather, different players will arrive in New York and they will guarantee the number of goals, and maybe even more, of those who could guarantee Villa every season. New York City FC is working in this direction. No great striker, New York will bet everything on the collective.
Autore: Stefano Bentivogli
Other news - The Opinion
- 23:22 New York City FC, the attack doesn't work, a no 9 is missing
- 22:30 Finally NYCFC returns home, an opportunity to return to winning
- 17:43 NYCFC on the mend but confirmation now needed
- 13:14 Gabe Segal is incredulous: "I still don't believe it"
- 19:14 NYCFC, worry about the physical and mental condition of the team
- 16:13 New York City FC, Nick Cushing is gambling his future
- 23:35 Santiago Rodriguez: "We need to start winning away"
- 00:19 NYCFC, Cushing. "Good mood but there is disappointment"
- 02:30 NYCFC, Luis Barraza proves to be an important part of the club
- 01:30 NYCFC, Sean Johnson's leadership in the team is missing
- 00:30 NYCFC, James Sands returns to talk about the defeat against Toronto FC
- 16:00 Cushing: "We have to solve the problem away from home"
- 14:00 NYCFC, the travel pain continues
- 12:00 Nick Cushing admits: "We didn't start the game well enough"
- 10:31 NYCFC defeated in Toronto: CJ Sapong's goal was decisive 1-0
- 21:46 Thiago Martins: "I feel the responsibility, I'm here to help everyone"
- 19:24 Cushing: "Barraza has become a leader of the squad"
- 19:21 Thiago Martins: "We have establish ourselves away from home"
- 02:00 Two NYCFC players in the MLS Team of the Matchday
- 01:00 Ledezma: "I fell good. I love New York, I feel at home here"
- 23:00 NYCFC, Cushing on James Sands: "He's available to play"
- 22:17 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: "We love our fans, they are the best in MLS"
- 23:18 Richy Ledezma shines in his first game as a starter
- 22:21 David Villa's emotion recalling his time at NYCFC with Andrea Pirlo
- 21:49 New York City FC wins thanks also to the surprise Luis Barraza
- 15:07 NYCFC, Cushing praises Sands: "His performance was flawless"
- 13:41 Cushing: "We are young but we have shown that we know how to suffer"
- 12:18 NYCFC 2-1 Nashville SC: the Blues get back to winning ways
- 16:44 Chanot: "The way we live together is just amazing"
- 14:39 Dante Vanzeir suspended for racism by MLS
- 22:50 James Sands Selected To Represent The USMNT vs. Mexico
- 22:37 Cushing: "Sands is still in pain but the US game won't be a problem for him"
- 13:00 Andrés Jasson reveals what he needs to do to improve
- 00:16 Chanot: "We are a great group, we trust each other"
- 22:14 Chanot: "The next three home games will be crucial"
- 13:24 Frank Lampard officially returns to Chelsea
- 11:00 NYCFC, David Lee on Thiago's loan: "Great opportunity for him"
- 08:11 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Loans Thiago Andrade to Athletico Paranaense