We said it even before the start of the season. New York City FC lacks a real number 9. The start of the season confirms it. Nick Cushing tried Talles Magno in that position, but the player doesn't have the characteristics to play in that position.
Magno, even if he is very tall, is a player who prefers to play on the outside. In that position he expresses himself at his best. Nick Cushing used him as number 9 in the first five games of the season, but in that role he never managed to produce anything positive. It's a different matter if Magno plays as a winger.
The music changes. Magno moves a lot, he is an agile player who manages to create numerical superiority and is even more at the service of the team. Playing as a winger, he managed to score both assists and goals.
That's Magno's role, therefore a confirmation that New York City FC still needs a true number nine and the team's lack of goals is yet another confirmation of how incomplete the Blues' attack is.
Autore: Stefano Bentivogli
Other news - The Opinion
- 22:34 MLS statement on Lionel Messi and Inter Miami CF
- 21:54 OFFICIAL - Messi is a new player of Inter Miami FC
- 19:09 Messi's signing with Inter Miami FC
- 12:00 A new player could soon land in MLS
- 10:23 OFFICIAL - Inter Miami have parted ways with head coach Phil Neville
- 15:00 NYCFC must rebuild its fortress
- 13:30 NYCFC wants to get back to winning for their fans
- 12:00 NYCFC, Cushing: “We will definitely be rotating 100% in the coming weeks"
- 07:12 NYCFC, Cushing: "Ledezma is ok, Thiago Martins will not be available"
- 20:51 NYCFC, morale is down but not all is lost
- 19:59 New York City FC is called to the reaction
- 09:05 NYCFC, Nick Cushing could be sacked
- 23:22 New York City FC, the attack doesn't work, a no 9 is missing
- 22:30 Finally NYCFC returns home, an opportunity to return to winning
- 17:43 NYCFC on the mend but confirmation now needed
- 13:14 Gabe Segal is incredulous: "I still don't believe it"
- 19:14 NYCFC, worry about the physical and mental condition of the team
- 16:13 New York City FC, Nick Cushing is gambling his future
- 23:35 Santiago Rodriguez: "We need to start winning away"
- 00:19 NYCFC, Cushing. "Good mood but there is disappointment"
- 02:30 NYCFC, Luis Barraza proves to be an important part of the club
- 01:30 NYCFC, Sean Johnson's leadership in the team is missing
- 00:30 NYCFC, James Sands returns to talk about the defeat against Toronto FC
- 16:00 Cushing: "We have to solve the problem away from home"
- 14:00 NYCFC, the travel pain continues
- 12:00 Nick Cushing admits: "We didn't start the game well enough"
- 10:31 NYCFC defeated in Toronto: CJ Sapong's goal was decisive 1-0
- 21:46 Thiago Martins: "I feel the responsibility, I'm here to help everyone"
- 19:24 Cushing: "Barraza has become a leader of the squad"
- 19:21 Thiago Martins: "We have establish ourselves away from home"
- 02:00 Two NYCFC players in the MLS Team of the Matchday
- 01:00 Ledezma: "I fell good. I love New York, I feel at home here"
- 23:00 NYCFC, Cushing on James Sands: "He's available to play"
- 22:17 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: "We love our fans, they are the best in MLS"
- 23:18 Richy Ledezma shines in his first game as a starter
- 22:21 David Villa's emotion recalling his time at NYCFC with Andrea Pirlo
- 21:49 New York City FC wins thanks also to the surprise Luis Barraza
- 15:07 NYCFC, Cushing praises Sands: "His performance was flawless"
- 13:41 Cushing: "We are young but we have shown that we know how to suffer"
- 12:18 NYCFC 2-1 Nashville SC: the Blues get back to winning ways