New York City FC extended its unbeaten streak to seven games with a 2-0 victory over the LA Galaxy in a match marred by an incident between Galaxy striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and NYCFC goalkeeper Sean Johnson.
Ibrahimovic was held without a goal for the second consecutive game as Los Angeles' losing streak reached three games, and his frustration seemed to rise to the surface in the 87th minute when he grabbed Johnson on the side of the neck after his near goal. The players tumbled to the ground with both earning yellow cards.
Ibrahimovic's incident came a day after he was fined an undisclosed amount for diving in Wednesday's loss to the Columbus Crew.The Swedish striker also made news last week for alleged verbal threats and a post-match confrontation with Real Salt Lake defender Nedum Onuoha.
Saturday's match was the first time the Galaxy (7-4-1, 22 points) has lost at home this season in seven games.
NYCFC's goals came on when Heber struck first in the 44th minute, for his third on the season. Maximiliano Moralez added a score from the penalty spot six minutes into first-half stoppage time. It is the first time in team history NYCFC (4-1-6, 18 points) has won three consecutive road games.
Midfielder Anton Tinnerholm fired a left-footed shot that was turned away on a diving save by Galaxy goalkeeper David Bingham. Hebert jumped on the rebound and fired his own left-footed shot into the net.
Tinnerholm was at it again a few minutes later, earning a shot from the penalty kick when his cross into the penalty area rebounded off the raised arm of Uriel Antuna for a hand ball. Moralez delivered to the bottom left corner of the goal past a diving Bingham for his second tally of the season.
The Galaxy had multiple scoring chances in the 86th minute when Ibrahimovic and Chris Pontius both hit the crossbar.
The Galaxy's much-improved defense has been exposed of late. After giving up a combined eight goals in the first nine matches of the season, Los Angeles has allowed eight during its three-game skid.
The Galaxy was without offensive playmaker Jonathan Dos Santos, sidelined with a left hamstring injury that occurred during Wednesday's 3-1 loss to the Columbus Crew. Also out for a third consecutive game was right back Julian Araujo (ankle).
Other news - The Opponent
- 21:00 NYCFC, Sims: "The return of the fans this year has been an incredible boost for our team and for the entire Club"
- 20:19 NYCFC, unveiled the first three games of MLS 2022
- 20:03 Sean Johnson best player in the Hudson River Derby: a reason for pride but also for concern
- 19:23 NYCFC, Ronny Deila under accusation: an immediate change of direction is needed
- 15:55 Ronny Deila: "We have lost three points, we can do better than that"
- 11:18 NYCFC 0-1 Red Bulls: the Blues defeated in the Hudson River Derby
- 00:17 NYCFC, Deila: "We are one, we are a family"
- 14:54 NYCFC, Ronny Deila prepares tactical changes in the Hudson River Derby
- 13:09 NYCFC, two heavy absences for Deila in view of the Hudson River Derby
- 14:32 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Match Highlights
- 13:33 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Taty Castellanos is immediately decisive
- 15:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We need to simplify the way we play"
- 14:00 New York City FC is ready to embrace Taty Castellanos again
- 10:44 NYCFC, two players out against FC Cincinnati
- 23:22 Deila: "“There's a big chance that Heber is back in the squad for the game"
- 22:29 NYCFC, Castellanos unavailable against FC Dallas. Ronny Deila evaluates the alternatives
- 19:00 NYCFC's Injury Report - Heber and Telles Magno out against Toronto FC
- 18:30 Ibeagha: "I will truly miss NYCFC"
- 18:08 OFFICIAL - New York City FC trades Sebastien Ibeagha to Los Angeles FC
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila