Victor Wanyama’s head coach Thierry Henry has taken the blame after Montreal Impact went down 3-1 to New York FC on Saturday.
Montreal Impact remained firm until midway through the second half when they leaked the first goal which was scored by Jesus Medina after an error in judgment by Rudy Camacho.
The other goals were scored by Maxi Moralez and Tony Rocha. Romell Quioto scored Montreal Impact's consolation goal and missed an opportunity to add one more while Maximiliano Urruti and Bojan Krkic would have scored but were caught offside.
“It was my fault. Maybe we should have stayed [in New York] and trained,” Henry said in reference to the travel back to Montreal in the week.
“I wanted to have faith in my guys and think about the mental aspect. But it’s my fault, no problem. We made, again, a clear mistake that changed the rhythm of the game and changed everything.
“But I take the blame. For everything that’s been happening, I take the blame. Those guys are dealing with something that’s very difficult and I take the blame. It’s as simple as that.”
The French tactician claimed his side would have, however, emerged winners had they been clinical enough.
“It was a game in which we were in control and in which we needed to score much earlier. And once again, we put ourselves in trouble,” Henry added.
“We could have been ahead in this game, let’s be honest, before [the first goal] easily. We disturbed them easily.
“They couldn’t play through us apart from maybe two plays in the first half. But then, obviously, when you do this type of thing, you punish yourself.”
Other news - The Opponent
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales
- 22:30 NYCFC in talks to sign Fortuna Dusseldorf midfielder Alfredo Morales
- 21:37 New York City FC, Thiago is coming from Bahia
- 14:00 NYCFC, Sergio Aguero is free: a difficult but not impossible business
- 18:06 New York City FC’s preseason friendly with Nashville SC has been cancelled
- 16:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "We are strong, we are training hard "
- 15:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "This season will be much better than last season"
- 14:00 Ian Paul Joy of YESNetwork assures: "It will be a positive season for NYCFC"
- 21:56 NYCFC announced the full MLS 2021 schedule
- 00:05 NYCFC, the dangers of playing the MLS and the Leagues Cup
- 23:20 Deila: "We can't wait to face the challenge in this year's League Cup"
- 22:48 New York City FC will participate in the 2021 Leagues Cup
- 23:00 Lee: "Gloster is young but he has already great experience"
- 22:15 Gloster: "It's a great honor to be part of NYCFC"
- 21:51 OFFICIAL - NYCFC sign US youth international Chris Gloster from PSV
- 22:28 NYCFC, Deila on transfer market: "We look at different players"
- 18:26 NYCFC, Ronny Deila admits: "We need more quality players"
- 01:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We know how we can improve from the last season"
- 00:05 NYCFC, Brad Sims: "We are optimistic that we'll be able to welcome ourfans back to Yankee Stadium on April 24th"
- 23:10 MLS - CF Montréal named Wilfried Nancy head coach
- 22:00 NYCFC, David Lee: "We are delighted to welcome Gedion back for another season"
- 21:23 New York City FC announced the Club’s preseason roster for the 2021 season
- 21:15 NYCFC, Juan Pablo Torres Loaned Out
- 21:13 NYCFC, Gedion Zelalem re-signed a new contract
- 02:30 Ronny Deila: "Cody Mizell the right guy for us"
- 01:30 Cody Mizell: "Thanks to New York City FC for believing in me"
- 00:30 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "Sands has a bright future"
- 23:30 NYCFC, David Lee: "Sands has become an integral part of our team"
- 22:53 New York City FC signs goalkeeper Cody Mizell
- 22:45 NYCFC, Sands: "This is a time of celebration"
- 22:43 New York City FC, James Sands Signs Contract Extension
- 00:06 NYCFC, James Sands' thoughts on the new 'Bronx Blue' jersey
- 00:04 New York City FC has revealed the 2021 'Bronx Blue' primary kit