Head Coach Ronny Deila made two changes to his lineup for this latest showdown with D.C., bringing Gary Mackay-Steven and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi in for Jesus Medina and Alexandru Mitrița.
In the hunt for three successive wins following a dramatic 3-2 road win in Miami on Saturday night, NYCFC were making their first appearance at Yankee Stadium in more than a year against a team they met only recently in the nation’s capital.
On that occasion, City had been left frustrated after a wholly dominant but fruitless night at Audi Field, coming out with just one point from a game in which they faced no shots for the first time in club history.
This time, City had no such issues breaking through, with Taty Castellanos earning and scoring a penalty inside four minutes after he was barged in the back before he slotted past Bill Hamid from 12 yards for the 1-0 lead.
In control and dominating against a D.C. side once again looking content to invite pressure, a goal was scored against the run of play on 12’, when Castellanos was on the wrong side of another penalty kick call, this time being adjudged to have handled in the area.
Ola Kamara assumed responsibility for the spot kick and beat Sean Johnson to draw the road team back level and pave the way for an attritional first half of play which was reminiscent of the last meeting, with NYC beating at the door without reward.
Playing in the no.10 role, Alex Ring saw a couple of strong efforts go close, while Ismael Tajouri-Shradi looked dangerous every time he picked up the ball on the right, backed by the Etihad Player of the Month Anton Tinnerholm, but Deila’s men could not find a way through before the interval.
That changed in the second half, as NYCFC stepped up the intensity and immediately set about taking the lead, eventually putting their noses back in front when a third penalty was awarded after another handball call on 55'.
Tajouri-Shradi stepped up to convert the PK and the Libyan international was also responsible for the goal which gave NYCFC a two-goal advantage on 63’.
This one was from open play, conjured up by Tinnerholm who provided the cross from the right for Isi to stroke home a goal which gave him his fifth two-goal game for the Boys in Blue.
3-1 up with half an hour to go, there was some D.C. pressure to endure in the closing stages as the visitors pressed for a second goal, but it was Deila’s men who got the game's fifth goal through the excellent Keaton Parks who headed in a brilliant cross from substitute Gudi Thórarinsson to make it a convincing victory for the home team.
Altre notizie - News
- 21:24 New York City FC, many players unavailable against Toronto FC
- 20:58 Tony Rocha symbol of a team made up of an amazing group
- 21:33 Maxi Moralez inserted into the MLS team of the week
- 17:14 Maxi Moralez the key of the las win of NYCFC
- 18:00 Highlights | NYCFC 3-1 Montreal Impact - VIDEO
- 17:00 Montreal Impact, Henry: "It was my fault"
- 16:00 NCYFC CEO provides update on stadium project, says it will be "transformational for the South Bronx"
- 15:00 NYCFC 3-1 Montreal Impact - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 14:00 NYCFC 3-1 Montreal Impact - Tony Rocha Reaction - VIDEO
- 10:50 New York City FC Confirm Positive COVID-19 Case
- 08:22 NYCFC 3-1 Montreal Impact - Match Recap
- 16:00 New York City FC in trouble: six players out against Montreal Impact
- 14:00 NYCFC vs. Montreal Impact - Ronny Deila Preview
- 23:45 Orlando City 1-1 NYCFC - Keaton Parks Reaction
- 22:46 Orlando City 1-1 NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 14:00 Orlando City 1-1 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 15:00 Maxi Moralez could return from MCL injury this weekend
- 14:00 New York City FC: four players still unavailable
- 16:00 Bruce Arena: "Certainly happy with the three points on the road"
- 15:00 NYCFC 1-2 New England Revolution - James Sands Reaction
- 14:00 NYCFC 1-2 New England Revolution - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 00:31 NYCFC does not shine, team without a true identity
- 00:26 New York City FC, a dangerous step back
- 21:40 NYCFC vs New England Revolution 1-2: match ends
- 21:09 New York City FC, the goal is the fourth victory
- 18:00 NYCFC, Nikola Ninkovic possibile target
- 17:00 Ronny Deila: Maxi Moralez could return from knee injury next week
- 16:00 NYCFC, four players out against New England Revolution
- 15:00 NYCFC vs. New England Revolution - Matarrita Preview
- 14:00 NYCFC vs. New England Revolution - Ronny Preview
- 17:00 NYCFC, another revolution after Mitrita's farewell
- 16:00 NYC native Henry Kessler "really excited to go back" for NYCFC meeting
- 15:00 Tommy McNamara: "We've put ourselves in positions to win games"
- 14:00 Bruce Arena: Revs will be prepared for "unique" challenges at Yankee Stadium
- 18:00 New York City FC vs. D.C. United - Highlights
- 17:00 NYCFC 4-1 D.C. United - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 16:00 NYCFC 4-1 D.C. United - Tajouri-Shradi Reaction
- 15:00 NYCFC 4-1 D.C. United - Thórarinsson Reaction
- 14:00 NYCFC 4-1 D.C. United - Match Recap
- 01:00 Deila confirms the departure of Mitrita: "There have been some talks"
- 00:00 NYCFC vs. DC United - Sands Preview
- 21:30 Inter Miami 2-3 NYCFC - Sean Johnson Reaction
- 20:30 Inter Miami 2-3 NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 19:42 Inter Miami 2-3 NYCFC - Ibeagha Reaction
- 18:00 Johnson: "We're playing well, we have something more than before"
- 17:00 Ronny Deila: "Great team spirit, we must continue like this"
- 16:00 HIGHLIGHTS: Inter Miami CF vs. New York City FC - VIDEO
- 15:00 Impressive NYCFC: humility and work to keep dreaming
- 14:00 Inter Miami 2-3 NYCFC - Match Recap