Head Coach Ronny Deila made two changes to his lineup for this latest showdown with D.C., bringing Gary Mackay-Steven and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi in for Jesus Medina and Alexandru Mitrița.
In the hunt for three successive wins following a dramatic 3-2 road win in Miami on Saturday night, NYCFC were making their first appearance at Yankee Stadium in more than a year against a team they met only recently in the nation’s capital.
On that occasion, City had been left frustrated after a wholly dominant but fruitless night at Audi Field, coming out with just one point from a game in which they faced no shots for the first time in club history.
This time, City had no such issues breaking through, with Taty Castellanos earning and scoring a penalty inside four minutes after he was barged in the back before he slotted past Bill Hamid from 12 yards for the 1-0 lead.
In control and dominating against a D.C. side once again looking content to invite pressure, a goal was scored against the run of play on 12’, when Castellanos was on the wrong side of another penalty kick call, this time being adjudged to have handled in the area.
Ola Kamara assumed responsibility for the spot kick and beat Sean Johnson to draw the road team back level and pave the way for an attritional first half of play which was reminiscent of the last meeting, with NYC beating at the door without reward.
Playing in the no.10 role, Alex Ring saw a couple of strong efforts go close, while Ismael Tajouri-Shradi looked dangerous every time he picked up the ball on the right, backed by the Etihad Player of the Month Anton Tinnerholm, but Deila’s men could not find a way through before the interval.
That changed in the second half, as NYCFC stepped up the intensity and immediately set about taking the lead, eventually putting their noses back in front when a third penalty was awarded after another handball call on 55'.
Tajouri-Shradi stepped up to convert the PK and the Libyan international was also responsible for the goal which gave NYCFC a two-goal advantage on 63’.
This one was from open play, conjured up by Tinnerholm who provided the cross from the right for Isi to stroke home a goal which gave him his fifth two-goal game for the Boys in Blue.
3-1 up with half an hour to go, there was some D.C. pressure to endure in the closing stages as the visitors pressed for a second goal, but it was Deila’s men who got the game's fifth goal through the excellent Keaton Parks who headed in a brilliant cross from substitute Gudi Thórarinsson to make it a convincing victory for the home team.
Altre notizie - News
- 23:33 New York City FC selected Di Rosa and Latinovich
- 16:00 Former NYCFC Mix Diskerud joins the Denizlispor
- 15:00 New York City FC, Franco Cervi refuses transfer to the Blues
- 14:18 Injury to Sean Johnson forced to leave the USMNT training camp
- 23:14 New York City FC dismantled: it will be a tough season
- 22:57 City Football Group adds Bolivia's Club Bolivar as partner club
- 21:54 After Gomez even Ribery has been linked to NYCFC
- 16:31 NYCFC's Joe Scally makes move to Borussia Monchengladbach
- 22:02 Messi to MLS: bought a family apartment in Miami
- 20:00 Almeyda: "MLS wolud be the right league for Messi"
- 19:00 Papu Gomez linked to New York City FC
- 18:25 NYCFC, 2020 is a year of bitterness for fans
- 18:30 New York City FC, team weakened on the pitch and in the locker room
- 18:00 NYCFC's Alexandru Mitrita scores again in loan stint with Saudi Arabia's Al-Ahli
- 17:01 Austin FC sign former NYCFC goalkeeper Brad Stuver
- 22:48 Messi: "I always had the illusion of living in the US"
- 15:00 David Beckham tries to convince Messi to play for Inter Miami
- 14:00 New York City FC option for the future of Leo Messi
- 23:30 Keaton Parks Named NYCFC’s Young Player of the Year for 2020
- 23:00 Sean Johnson Named NYCFC’s Defensive Player of the Year for 2020
- 23:42 Austin FC, Reyna: "Ring will be a great addition to our club"
- 23:32 New York City FC, the Ring trade is a non sense choice
- 21:15 Sean Johnson out for Concacaf Champions League match against Tigres
- 21:07 Tigres UANL vs. NYCFC - Taty Castellanos Preview
- 21:05 Tigres UANL vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 22:13 Orlando City Goalkeeper Mason Stajduhar Loaned to NYCFC
- 22:12 New York City FC Announces Travel Plans for the Resumption of 2020 Concacaf Champions League
- 23:00 Stuver's emotional message after leaving NYCFC
- 22:39 NYCFC, Surgery for Alex Ring
- 17:36 NYCFC, exercise options for 5 players. Brad Stuver leaves NY
- 22:15 Sean Johnson: "Thanks to all the supporters who stuck with us through this challenging year"
- 21:51 New York City FC, Tinnerholm expressed his feelings
- 23:47 New York City FC, need to grow mentally and be more concrete
- 23:38 NYCFC, former intern describes sexual harassment allegations against David Villa
- 18:00 Tinnerholm: "It is brutal to lose this way"
- 17:00 Parks: "We deserved the victory"
- 16:00 Ronny Deila: "I'm devasteted"
- 15:30 New York City FC defeated: team without personality
- 15:00 NEW POLL - Orlando City 6 - 5 New York City FC: is it the worst defeat in the history of the Blues?
- 14:00 Orlando City (6) 1-1 (5) NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 00:01 What happened in the Orlando City vs. NYCFC penalty shootout? Here are the official explanations from PRO