There’s a new highest paid player in Major League Soccer and yes, your first guess is correct.
When the LA Galaxy re-signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic to a Designated Player contract before the season, they made the Swedish icon the highest paid player in the league. Ibrahimovic makes $7.2 million in 2019, according to the latest numbers released Wednesday by the MLS Players Association.
It’s about $100,000 more than last year’s highest paid player, Toronto FC’s Sebastian Giovinco, pulled in.
With his play on the field — Ibrahimovic has 11 goals and three assists in 12 matches this season after 22 goals and 10 assists in 27 appearances a year ago — as well as his effect on the box office, especially for road games and his overall marketability, it’s clear Ibrahimovic is worth the hefty price tag.
Across town, LAFC’s Carlos Vela is on track to set a new single-season record for goals scored and run away with the league’s MVP trophy, but he’s somewhat of a bargain at $4.5 million base salary and $6.3 in guaranteed compensation.
That’s not the second highest salary, though. Toronto FC’s Michael Bradley ($6,428,571) and Jozy Altidore ($6,332,250) both bring in more guaranteed money.
A year ago, Josef Martinez shattered the league’s single-season goal record with 31 in 34 appearances, won the MVP and helped lead Atlanta United to the MLS Cup title. He signed a five-year contract extension in January that pays him $3 million in base salary with another $58K in guaranteed compensation
Among the new big signings to the league in 2019, Toronto FC playmaker Alejandro Pozuelo is pulling in $3.8 million this season, Orlando City SC’s Nani is earning $2.4 million in guaranteed compensation
Perhaps another sign of their youth movement, previous big spenders New York City FChave just one millionaire on their roster — Maxi Moralez, who is making $2M in 2019. Their big signings, Heber, who has six goals and three assists in 10 appearances, and Alexandru Mitrita, who was signed to a Designated Player contract, are making $788,750 and $500,000, respectively.
According to the MLSPA, the average base salary for non-Designated Players has increased 150 percent over the last five years, from $138,140 in 2014 to $345,867 in 2019. It is the eighth consecutive year the average base salary increased.
For senior roster spots 10 through 18 on an MLS roster, salaries grew more than 10 percent per year over the last five years, according to the MLSPA.
Autore: Stefano Bentivogli
Other news - MLS
- 16:00 Lee: "We just have to thank Tinnerholm for what he has done for us"
- 14:00 David Lee reveals the reasons behind the departure of Alex Callens from New York City FC
- 07:00 NYCFC, David Lee praises great players who have left the club
- 21:30 Lee: "It was exciting to be back at Yankee Stadium with our fans"
- 20:30 Fans and the will to win: the perfect combination for NYCFC
- 20:00 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal bring back defender Gabriele Corbo from Italy's Bologna FC
- 19:45 OFFICIAL - DC United sign Lewis O'Brien on loan from Nottingham Forest
- 19:00 MLS - Colorado Rapids captain Jack Price out for 2023 with Achilles tendon injury
- 18:30 PSG, Barcelona or MLS: Leo Messi's great dilemma
- 17:36 NYCFC, Talles Magno's return to score is extremely important
- 13:30 NYCFC 3-2 DC UNITED: THE HIGHLIGHTS
- 12:30 NYCFC-DC United 3-2, Cushing: "I can't praise our fans enough"
- 11:10 NYCFC-DC United 3-2: second straight win
- 22:31 NYCFC, there are no injuries. Full squad against DC United
- 01:00 Cushing: "We have to fight to get as many playoff games here in front of our fans"
- 23:30 NYCFC, must turn Yankee Stadium into its fortress
- 22:40 NYCFC, Cushing: "We must have more consistency in performance"
- 21:54 NYCFC vs DC United, Cushing: "We have to play the best for our fans"
- 21:31 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Signs Midfielder Jonathan Shore to a Homegrown Contract
- 13:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "We wanted to win for our fans"
- 11:30 NYCFC 1-0 INTER MIAMI CF: the Blues take their first victory
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: “We’re really excited to play at home"
- 22:17 Leagues Cup - NYCFC To Face Toronto FC & Atlas FC
- 23:34 Here we are! The blue tide is ready to welcome NYCFC
- 22:22 Cushing on Sands: "He acquired great maturity in Europe"
- 11:54 eSports - Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, this is how it ended with Fifa23 | VIDEO
- 11:33 Chicago Fire 1-1 NYCFC, first point of the season
- 23:44 NYCFC, Sands crucial player already available against Chicago Fire
- 21:41 Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, two players unavailable for Cushing
- 15:35 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Acquired Midfielder Santiago Rodriguez
- 01:52 Cufrè: "Exciting debut, we want to improve against Chicago"
- 00:50 Nick Cushing on Tayvon Gray's condition: 'He's still working, but it will be difficult for him'
- 23:15 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: ”We Have To Create The Moment"
- 11:08 NYCFC, incomplete team, there's a lot to work for Cushing
- 14:30 NYCFC, Chanot: "We’re very excited for the beginning of the season"
- 13:12 Injury Report | Clean Bill of Health For Nashville Trip
- 19:13 NYCFC ends the preseason with a loss. Cufre's debut
- 15:44 OFFICIAL - Charlotte FC exercise offseason buyout on Yordy Reyna
- 15:12 OFFICIAL - Houston Dynamo FC have signed defender Tate Schmitt
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing has no doubts about the great help that the newcomer will be able to give
- 22:39 NYCFC, Cushing: "I rely heavily on the leadership of veterans"
- 18:31 OFFICIAL - Sebastián Driussi signs long-term extension with Austin FC
- 15:02 OFFICIAL - Real Salt Lake sign Colombian defender Brayan Vera
- 13:46 Preseason Update: NYCFC vs. San Diego Loyal friendly has been cancelled
- 23:09 Callens debuts in Spain but leaves a void in New York
- 21:46 New York City FC restarts from veteran players
- 20:25 Jankto reveals: "I'm gay and I don't want to hide anymore". Homosexuality in soccer remains a taboo
- 17:22 NYCFC will be a season of great responsibility for Alfredo Morales
- 15:27 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal have signed forward Jules-Anthony Vilsaint
- 12:40 NYCFC, Santi Rodriguez is ready to make a comeback