Head Coach Ronny Deila brought Taty Castellanos and Maxime Chanot back into his lineup after the pair served one-match suspensions for yellow card accumulation over the weekend.
City got the job done on that occasion, ousting the Montreal Impact 3-1 at Yankee Stadium, but this time NYC were facing off against a familiar foe who had inflicted defeat on them twice already in 2020.
Returning to East Hartford, the temporary home of Toronto FC, NYCFC made a bright start to the teams' fourth clash of the season, dominating possession from the get-go.
There were numerous chances for Castellanos in the first period, as Maxi Moralez, Keaton Parks and Jesus Medina all combined beautifully to fashion opportunities but Quentin Westberg could not be beaten in the Toronto goal and it was Toronto who went closest in the first half when a rare shot on goal from Nick DeLeon hit the post.
The best opportunity of the first 45' for the road team fell for Taty on 29' but his fiercely struck effort was blocked by Westberg and, as as they did at Red Bull Arena on their last meeting, the teams went in somehow level despite NYCFC's domination.
Fearing a repeat of the suckerpunch encountered with the luckless late penalty in September's match, NYCFC kept up the pressure after the break and it didn't take long for them to get their reward.
The irrepressible Castellanos created the goal, hitting a thunderous shot towards goal which Westberg could only parry out to Medina who did the rest, opening up his body and slotting into the corner for his fourth goal of the regular season - and second vs. Toronto in 2020.
That put the Paraguayan joint-top of the goalscoring rankings for the regular season along with Anton Tinnerholm, and he could've gone out on top on his own if his volley at the back post had been on target from a cross midway through the second half, but unfortunately for Jesus, his shot went the wrong side of the post when he might've scored.
Acevedo, Sebastien Ibeagha and Gudi Thórarinsson were introduced as the second half wore on with TFC pushing on for the equalizer and NYC still carrying a threat on the break.
It was City who looked the most dangerous on their breaks as the hosts' committed men forward, but there would be no more scoring, meaning Deila's men held on for all three points, levelling the seasonal head-to-head vs. Toronto at 2-2.
Next up, it's a Hudson River Derby in the Bronx on Sunday as City step up their quest for a top four spot.
Other news - Focus
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales
- 22:30 NYCFC in talks to sign Fortuna Dusseldorf midfielder Alfredo Morales
- 21:37 New York City FC, Thiago is coming from Bahia
- 14:00 NYCFC, Sergio Aguero is free: a difficult but not impossible business
- 18:06 New York City FC’s preseason friendly with Nashville SC has been cancelled
- 16:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "We are strong, we are training hard "
- 15:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "This season will be much better than last season"
- 14:00 Ian Paul Joy of YESNetwork assures: "It will be a positive season for NYCFC"
- 21:56 NYCFC announced the full MLS 2021 schedule
- 00:05 NYCFC, the dangers of playing the MLS and the Leagues Cup
- 23:20 Deila: "We can't wait to face the challenge in this year's League Cup"
- 22:48 New York City FC will participate in the 2021 Leagues Cup
- 23:00 Lee: "Gloster is young but he has already great experience"
- 22:15 Gloster: "It's a great honor to be part of NYCFC"
- 21:51 OFFICIAL - NYCFC sign US youth international Chris Gloster from PSV
- 22:28 NYCFC, Deila on transfer market: "We look at different players"
- 18:26 NYCFC, Ronny Deila admits: "We need more quality players"
- 01:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We know how we can improve from the last season"
- 00:05 NYCFC, Brad Sims: "We are optimistic that we'll be able to welcome ourfans back to Yankee Stadium on April 24th"
- 23:10 MLS - CF Montréal named Wilfried Nancy head coach
- 22:00 NYCFC, David Lee: "We are delighted to welcome Gedion back for another season"
- 21:23 New York City FC announced the Club’s preseason roster for the 2021 season
- 21:15 NYCFC, Juan Pablo Torres Loaned Out
- 21:13 NYCFC, Gedion Zelalem re-signed a new contract
- 02:30 Ronny Deila: "Cody Mizell the right guy for us"
- 01:30 Cody Mizell: "Thanks to New York City FC for believing in me"
- 00:30 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "Sands has a bright future"
- 23:30 NYCFC, David Lee: "Sands has become an integral part of our team"
- 22:53 New York City FC signs goalkeeper Cody Mizell
- 22:45 NYCFC, Sands: "This is a time of celebration"
- 22:43 New York City FC, James Sands Signs Contract Extension
- 00:06 NYCFC, James Sands' thoughts on the new 'Bronx Blue' jersey
- 00:04 New York City FC has revealed the 2021 'Bronx Blue' primary kit