There was palpable frustration in the New England Revolution locker room following their 2-1 loss to New York City FC on Saturday afternoon, as the Revs put in a diligent shift while playing with 10 men for more than 80 minutes.
“There was a chance for this to be a real good game today,” said sporting director and head coach Bruce Arena. “It had the makings of a real good game. It’s a shame we didn’t get a chance to do that.
“I’m just sorry for the fans that came out today, and for the players that we weren’t afforded the opportunity to have a good game.”
The match started out fast and furious as Juan Fernando Caicedo found the back of the net in just the second minute to give New England an early lead. With the visitors on the front foot, the tone changed in an instant just seven minutes later when defender Antonio Delamea - who was initially shown a yellow card for a foul on Valentin Castellanos - was sent off following a Video Review.
“I thought I played the ball back to (goalkeeper) Matt (Turner),” said Delamea. “Maybe I touched him with a hand afterward, but that was just because the guy came into my way of running.
“I just think that was the wrong decision that cost us, probably, a win, because I think when I was sent off we were the better team on the field.”
New England kept it 1-1 until the 96th minute when NYCFC’s Jesus Medina - who also scored the equalizer in the 70th minute - converted a penalty.
“Decisions are made on the field and you have to be able to perform regardless,” said Turner, who tied his single-game career high with nine saves. “The referee can be a variable and you just have to go out there and do your job, and we did that for the majority of the game.
“We were up 1-0 and we were pretty compact. We looked pretty organized. [Then] just two plays, and they were clinical.”
Although it was tough outcome for the group, the players all put in a valiant shift and will now look ahead to their next match at Orlando City SC next weekend.
“I still think it's very positive despite the result because the team fought,” J. Caicedo said through an interpreter. “Obviously after their first goal and the penalty at the end, it stung and it's hard to lose.
“I think what we have to do now is we have to turn the page and get ready for Orlando, because that’s going to be a really important game and that’s a game on the road, as well.”
Altre notizie - The Opponent
- 23:00 Tinnerholm is decisive: he is the leader of New York
- 21:35 Ronny Deila expressed his satisfaction with the victory against FC Cincinnati
- 19:57 NYCFC, a growing concern for injured Maxi Moralez
- 18:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Mackay-Steven Reaction
- 16:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 14:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Ronny Reaction on the injuries of Matarrita and Maxi
- 12:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Highlights
- 10:26 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Match Recap
- 23:00 NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx during COVID-19
- 22:18 NYCFC vs. FC Cincinnati - Ronny Deila Preview
- 08:26 Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan
- 14:00 Seitz makes 4 saves, DC United ties NYCFC 0-0 without a shot
- 12:00 New York City FC little cynical and unlucky
- 10:00 DC United 0, New York City FC 0 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:10 D.C. United 0-0 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 18:00 James Sands at risk of disqualification
- 16:00 New York City FC - Only two absent against DC United
- 14:00 DC UNITED vs NYCFC: PROBABLE STARTING XI
- 23:30 Bruce Arena: NYCFC the best team we've played this year
- 22:39 Messi's arrival at New York City FC is postponed
- 23:30 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Joe Scally's Reaction
- 23:00 NE Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Héber Reaction
- 22:23 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 16:00 Fagundez: "We need to learn from" loss to New York City FC
- 14:00 Turner: "We were physically just dominated all night"
- 12:00 Arena: "On the night we were thoroughly outplayed"
- 10:00 New England Revolution 0, New York City FC 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:21 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 16:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Keaton Parks Preview
- 15:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 13:00 NYCFC, offer to Benfica for Cristian Lema
- 22:30 Tinnerholm: "We don't have to think we are the best"
- 21:19 Ronny Deila relies on Maxi Moralez for the third win in a row of NYCFC
- 18:43 Arena | "We're going to anticipate some changes on Wednesday" vs. NYCFC
- 19:00 New York City FC finds the best Anton Tinnerholm
- 17:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Maxi Moralez Reaction
- 15:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 21:48 Maxi Moralez is back and NYCFC is amazing
- 20:59 Breaking News: Messi's future first in Manchester then in New York
- 18:00 New York veterans make the Blues shine again
- 17:00 New York City FC vs. Chicago Fire FC - MLS Highlights
- 16:00 With Maxi Moralez back, NYCFC play best 45 minutes of season in 3-1 win over Chicago Fire FC
- 14:26 Messi does not show up for the Barça tests. NYCFC and MLS continue to pray
- 08:19 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire - Match Recap
- 21:30 A British reporter puts Messi away from NYCFC
- 21:00 NYCFC vs Chicago Fire: Here's how it went last time
- 20:36 Johnson: "We are always on the front line"
- 15:00 Lionel Messi expected to break silence amid NYCFC rumors
- 13:00 Tajouri-Shradi and Maxi Moralez have recovered from their injuries
- 19:02 MLS Report: Lionel Messi move to NYCFC part of Manchester City contract offer
- 16:15 Sundas: “Messi wants join NYCFC”
- 15:17 Leo Messi can finish his career at NYCFC