Zlatan season is officially upon us.
After weeks of heavy rumors and reports, the LA Galaxy announced the signing of Swedish megastar Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Friday, signing the 36-year-old striker via Targeted Allocation Moneyone day after he parted ways with Manchester United.
Arguably the greatest No. 9 of his generation, Ibrahimovic has won more than 30 trophies over an illustrious career at some of the biggest clubs in the world, scoring more than 400 goals over 19 years at Malmo, Ajax, Juventus, Inter Milan, FC Barcelona, AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain and MUFC. He also netted 62 goals in 116 caps for Sweden, playing in two World Cups and four European Championships.
“Coming to play in the United States, it is only fitting for me to join the most successful team in Major League Soccer, the LA Galaxy,” said Ibrahimovic in a team statement. “I am excited to join a club with a winning legacy that has embodied soccer in Los Angeles for over 20 years. I would like to thank everyone at the club for making it possible to play for the LA Galaxy. I am looking forward to joining my teammates, playing at StubHub Center in front of our fans and helping our team compete this season.”
Ibrahimovic has won league championships in Spain, Italy, France and the Netherlands, as well as the UEFA Europa League and FIFA Club World Cup. While he's been unable to capture the UEFA Champions League trophy, he's the only player in that competition's history to play for seven different teams in it. The top scorer in Swedish national team history, Ibrahimovic retired from international play in 2016 but has publicly mulled returning to the squad in order to take part in this summer's World Cup.
“Adding one of the finest goal scorers in this sport’s history to our roster will tremendously help our club in the hunt for a sixth MLS Cup,” said LA Galaxy head coach Sigi Schmid. “As one of the winningest players of all time, we believe he’ll have a very positive impact on our team. We are confident that Zlatan can be one of the most dangerous strikers in our league and we are excited to integrate him into our club.”
Famously bold, brash and charismatic, “Ibra” has repeatedly been linked to MLS over the years most often LA, but injury and circumstance have intervened at various times. He was reportedly close to signing with the Galaxy a year ago, only to suffer a serious knee injury in Europa League action.
He subsequently signed a new one-year contract with the Red Devils last summer and recovered from a torn ACL ahead of schedule, but he made only seven match appearances for Man United this season, limited by nagging injuries and fierce competition along the MUFC frontline.
Ibrahimovic joins a Galaxy squad looking to rebound from a 2017 campaign that ranks as the worst in the proud club’s history. Coach Sigi Schmid’s side have made a promising start to the new season, but have already seen Designated Players Romain Alessandrini and Giovani and Jonathan dos Santos sidelined by hamstring injuries.
The Galaxy visit Vancouver on Saturday (10 pm ET | TSN1 in Canada, MLS LIVE in US) before facing off with their new crosstown rivals LAFC for the first time on March 31 at StubHub Center (3 pm ET | FOX). Ibrahimovic is believed to be in contention for selection for the gameday roster for that Southern California showdown.
Other news - MLS
- 01:00 Leeds United, interest in Valentin Castellanos persists
- 00:04 Taty Castellanos transfer latest: NYCFC maintain $15 million valuation
- 23:31 NYCFC, David Lee: "Cushing is a fantastic coach"
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: "It's A Huge Privilege To Lead The Team"
- 22:37 Ronny Deila leaves NYCFC: replaced by Nick Cushing
- 20:46 OFFICIAL - Chiellini is a new player of LAFC
- 09:59 NYCFC coach Ronny Deila "in conversations" with Standard Liège of Belgium
- 23:49 New York City FC, solid team and iron defense
- 23:25 NYCFC, the dream of getting Leo Messi vanishes
- 21:00 Kickoff Times Announced for Hudson River Derby and Matches Against Charlotte FC
- 20:04 #NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "Today We Showed How To Win Away"
- 20:30 Deila on Castellanos: "He goes 100% in every challenge"
- 20:00 D.C.UNITED vs NYCFC, Deila: "It's a tough game"
- 19:18 NYCFC extend Maxime Chanot contract through 2024 MLS season
- 18:30 #NYCFC, a young team with a great future
- 17:00 #NYCFC, Maxi Moralez gives more depth to the team
- 15:30 #NYCFC, Talles Magno ne striker of the Blues
- 14:00 #NYCFC, strong finish at Yankee Stadium
- 16:00 NYCFC 2 - 0 Columbus Crew: Match Highlights - VIDEO
- 15:00 #NYCFC Deila on Maxi Moralez: “He is the smartest football player on that pitch"
- 13:55 #NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We Have Been Consistent"
- 21:27 NYCFC, Two Questionable For Columbus Crew
- 21:21 #NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We Are Prepared For Columbus"
- 16:00 Deila: "It wasn’t our best day but at the same time we get a point"
- 15:00 NYCFC 0 - 0 Sporting Kansas City: Match Highlights - VIDEO
- 14:51 #NYCFCSKC, Ronny Deila: "We Defended Really Well"
- 20:00 NYCFC, Maxime Chanot is available but will have to wear a mask
- 18:30 Kansas City, four players out against New York City FC
- 17:00 NYCFC, two out against Kansas. Castellanos is questionable
- 15:30 Ronny Deila on Talles Magno: "I am very happy with the progress he has made"
- 14:00 NYCFC, Deila: "I hope for the support of many fans"
- 10:04 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "You Cannot Underestimate Kansas"
- 23:00 NYCFC, Maxi Moralez and Thiago Martins are available against San Jose Earthquakes
- 22:30 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "It's very important to play in front of our fans"
- 21:56 #NYCFCSJEARTHQUAKES, Ronny Deila: "We Must Match Their Intensity"
- 21:56 NYCFC vs Seattle Sounders, Ronny Deila: "We Must Attack The Situation"
- 21:52 NYCFC, two key players out for the CONCACAF Champions League semifinal
- 16:00 NYCFC, hunt for the first goal of the season in MLS
- 15:00 New York City FC, Ronny Deila: "We missed our fans"
- 17:00 NYCFC, clean sheet but the attack is sterile
- 16:01 Vancouver Whitecaps 0-0 NYCFC, Deila: "We didn't take our chances"
- 15:44 NYCFC: first point won, victory postponed
- 19:00 NYCFC Signs Academy Product Maximo Carrizo
- 17:54 New York City FC, good performance but bitter result for the Blues