NYCFC had booked their spot in the quarterfinals thanks to back-to-back wins over Inter Miami and Toronto, while Portland had yet to taste defeat in the bubble, qualifying from Group F along with LAFC and besting FC Cincinnati on penalties in the previous round.
Head Coach Ronny Deila made one enforced change to the lineup which got it done in the Round of 16, bringing in Gary Mackay-Steven for the injury Ismael Tajouri-Shradi on the right wing. Elsewhere, it was as you were, with Héber and Maxi Moralez both once again named among the substitutes for this last eight showdown.
Chasing a second-ever win vs. the Timbers in the sixth meeting, City made a strong start to the game, picking up where they left off last time out with fierce pressing and quick interplay characterizing the start. Taty Castellanos went closest to opening the scoring in the early going with an audacious attempt from his own half which only sailed a foot over Steve Clark’s goal with the ‘keeper chasing back.
The breakthrough for the Boys in Blue came through Jesus Medina’s third goal of the competition, an expertly-taken penalty on 27’ which came as a result of the Paraguayan being tripped inside the area. City would have been decent value going in one-up at the break but Sebastian Blanca prevented that with an instinctive snapshot from just inside the box which left Sean Johnson no chance and made it 1-1 at the interval.
Level at the break, Deila was indebted to his goalkeeper on 54’ when Johnson denied Jeremy Ebobisse with a point-blank save to preserve parity at the end of a Portland break.
Moralez was introduced from the bench on 55’, replacing Mackay-Steven, but it was Medina who almost scored his second of the night moments later after a one-two with Anton Tinnerholm presented him with an opportunity from an acute angle, but Clark narrowed the angle well to make the save.
10 minutes later, Portland completed the turnaround through Diego Valeri, who came off the bench to finish from close range after a loose ball broke to him close to goal.
Chasing for the first time on the night, Héber and Keaton Parks were sent on to try and rescue the situation for NYCFC with 20’ to go, but Andy Polo scored the crucial fourth goal of the match to make it 3-1 on 76’, with an unstoppable long range hit into the top corner, consigning NYC to their tournament exit.
Other news - Focus
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales
- 22:30 NYCFC in talks to sign Fortuna Dusseldorf midfielder Alfredo Morales
- 21:37 New York City FC, Thiago is coming from Bahia
- 14:00 NYCFC, Sergio Aguero is free: a difficult but not impossible business
- 18:06 New York City FC’s preseason friendly with Nashville SC has been cancelled
- 16:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "We are strong, we are training hard "
- 15:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "This season will be much better than last season"
- 14:00 Ian Paul Joy of YESNetwork assures: "It will be a positive season for NYCFC"
- 21:56 NYCFC announced the full MLS 2021 schedule
- 00:05 NYCFC, the dangers of playing the MLS and the Leagues Cup
- 23:20 Deila: "We can't wait to face the challenge in this year's League Cup"
- 22:48 New York City FC will participate in the 2021 Leagues Cup
- 23:00 Lee: "Gloster is young but he has already great experience"
- 22:15 Gloster: "It's a great honor to be part of NYCFC"
- 21:51 OFFICIAL - NYCFC sign US youth international Chris Gloster from PSV
- 22:28 NYCFC, Deila on transfer market: "We look at different players"
- 18:26 NYCFC, Ronny Deila admits: "We need more quality players"
- 01:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We know how we can improve from the last season"
- 00:05 NYCFC, Brad Sims: "We are optimistic that we'll be able to welcome ourfans back to Yankee Stadium on April 24th"
- 23:10 MLS - CF Montréal named Wilfried Nancy head coach
- 22:00 NYCFC, David Lee: "We are delighted to welcome Gedion back for another season"
- 21:23 New York City FC announced the Club’s preseason roster for the 2021 season
- 21:15 NYCFC, Juan Pablo Torres Loaned Out
- 21:13 NYCFC, Gedion Zelalem re-signed a new contract
- 02:30 Ronny Deila: "Cody Mizell the right guy for us"
- 01:30 Cody Mizell: "Thanks to New York City FC for believing in me"
- 00:30 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "Sands has a bright future"
- 23:30 NYCFC, David Lee: "Sands has become an integral part of our team"
- 22:53 New York City FC signs goalkeeper Cody Mizell
- 22:45 NYCFC, Sands: "This is a time of celebration"
- 22:43 New York City FC, James Sands Signs Contract Extension
- 00:06 NYCFC, James Sands' thoughts on the new 'Bronx Blue' jersey
- 00:04 New York City FC has revealed the 2021 'Bronx Blue' primary kit