New York City FC was back at home in the BX after back-to-back road games to celebrate Manhattan Borough night and take on Sporting Kansas City.
As City looked to get their second consecutive win, Dome Torrent made three changes to his Starting XI. Maxime Chanot and Alex Ring were back in the starting lineup after serving a one-game suspension for yellow card accumulation.
Along with the two NYC stalwarts, Alexandru Mitriță was also making his comeback to the XI after starting on the bench against Colorado. The Romanian came up big for NYCFC after being subbed in, scoring the game-winning goal and securing the three points in the Mile High City.
Mitrita was lively from the start here on home turf. He had the ball in the net in the 12th minute after latching onto a loose ball but it was ruled out for offside.
At the other end of the pitch, Sporting Kansas City was threatening the NYCFC box. Gerso took a shot on goal in the 22nd minute but, luckily for the home team, Sean Johnson was in net and able to make the save.
As play went on, the hunt for the lead continued and City almost had it on 34’. Their second shot on goal came courtesy of Maxi Moralez, who headed a Ronald Matarrita cross towards goal but Tim Melia came up with a brilliant one-handed save to tip it over.
The Boys in Blue remained undeterred, as the opportunities rolled on, they finally found the back of the net for the lead in the 41st minute, thanks to in-form Anton Tinnerholm.
It was a beautiful, sweeping team goal which culminated in a precise cross from Ring for Anton to tap in at the back post for his first goal of the season.
New York City’s Football Club secured the lead before the half-time whistle blew.
The second half of the match was equally as intense as the first, as the Boys in Blue came out of the locker room looking to emphasize their advantage.
The goal which doubled the lead came in the 53rd minute courtesy of Héber, the team’s lead-scorer, who broke out his signature celebration after the Ringleader passed the ball through SKC defenders to find him.
Our Brazilian number 9 led the charge beating Melia to double the lead with his ninth goal of the season, also becoming the first NYCFC player to score in five consecutive MLS games.
Johnson maintained his clean sheet until the 73rd minute, when Illie Sanchez got a goal past the ‘keeper to put themselves on the board, 2-1.
NYCFC didn’t let that concession get them down. In the 77th minute Gary Mackay-Steven, who came in as a sub, set Ring up to strike the ball from outside the box for his third goal of the season.
That’s how it ended, giving NYCFC back-to-back wins and moving the team up to third in the East.
Altre notizie - Focus
- 14:00 MLS Players Association Approves Restart Plan
- 13:00 Plan set for MLS return to full team training with testing ahead of season restart
- 21:24 Sean Johnson on Hudson River Derby, players he most wants to beat
- 18:53 New York Governor Cuomo: "Encourage major sports to plan for reopening"
- 22:00 Why Jack Harrison saw NYCFC as his best bet to get back home to England
- 21:48 David Villa's MVP talent, everyman work ethic put NYCFC on the map
- 21:48 FC Cincinnati had contact with Dome Torrent for head coach, but no interview
- 15:00 Ronny Deila watching every 2019 match, learning Spanish during break
- 14:00 Ronald Matarrita: Costa Rica is the best team in Concacaf
- 19:00 NYCFC donates 100,000 meals to NY Common Pantry in coronavirus relief effort
- 18:27 NYCFC, An Update from Brad Sims
- 20:00 NYCFC helping with coronavirus impact close to home
- 19:39 NYCFC Meets with Ian Joy Powered by Cisco Webex | Ronny Deila
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York