New York City FC was back at home in the BX after back-to-back road games to celebrate Manhattan Borough night and take on Sporting Kansas City. 

As City looked to get their second consecutive win, Dome Torrent made three changes to his Starting XI. Maxime Chanot and Alex Ring were back in the starting lineup after serving a one-game suspension for yellow card accumulation. 

Along with the two NYC stalwarts, Alexandru Mitriță was also making his comeback to the XI after starting on the bench against Colorado. The Romanian came up big for NYCFC after being subbed in, scoring the game-winning goal and securing the three points in the Mile High City.

Mitrita was lively from the start here on home turf. He had the ball in the net in the 12th minute after latching onto a loose ball but it was ruled out for offside.

At the other end of the pitch, Sporting Kansas City was threatening the NYCFC box. Gerso took a shot on goal in the 22nd minute but, luckily for the home team, Sean Johnson was in net and able to make the save. 

As play went on, the hunt for the lead continued and City almost had it on 34’. Their second shot on goal came courtesy of Maxi Moralez, who headed a Ronald Matarrita cross towards goal but Tim Melia came up with a brilliant one-handed save to tip it over.

The Boys in Blue remained undeterred, as the opportunities rolled on, they finally found the back of the net for the lead in the 41st minute, thanks to in-form Anton Tinnerholm. 

It was a beautiful, sweeping team goal which culminated in a precise cross from Ring for Anton to tap in at the back post for his first goal of the season.

New York City’s Football Club secured the lead before the half-time whistle blew. 

The second half of the match was equally as intense as the first, as the Boys in Blue came out of the locker room looking to emphasize their advantage. 

The goal which doubled the lead came in the 53rd minute courtesy of Héber, the team’s lead-scorer, who broke out his signature celebration after the Ringleader passed the ball through SKC defenders to find him.

Our Brazilian number 9 led the charge beating Melia to double the lead with his ninth goal of the season, also becoming the first NYCFC player to score in five consecutive MLS games. 

Johnson maintained his clean sheet until the 73rd minute, when Illie Sanchez got a goal past the ‘keeper to put themselves on the board, 2-1. 

NYCFC didn’t let that concession get them down. In the 77th minute Gary Mackay-Steven, who came in as a sub, set Ring up to strike the ball from outside the box for his third goal of the season.

That’s how it ended, giving NYCFC back-to-back wins and moving the team up to third in the East.

Sezione: Focus / Data: Sab 27 luglio 2019 alle 16:29 / Fonte: NYCFC.COM
Autore: Stefano Bentivogli
Vedi letture