Head Coach Ronny Deila has revealed his delight that a good crowd is expected for Wednesday night’s Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League quarterfinal first leg vs. Tigres.
With tickets for the lower bowl of Red Bull Arena snapped up by supporters excited for City’s first last eight clash in the tournament, Deila believes that the atmosphere could make all the difference.
NYCFC are taking on a side who’ve made the Champions League finals for three years out of the last four years, so is under no illusions that his side are slight underdogs, but he’s backing his team to perform.
Deila told reporters at his press conference: “It’s great news, I’m happy the supporters will be here - that our fans show up and support us. They’re going to be so important for us and we're just looking forward to get out tomorrow and play because I think it's going to be a great game between two good teams and a great atmosphere.”
Ronny continued: “As I said before, we're looking forward to the game. This is a big game for us. Of course, Tigres is the favorites but we know what we can do when we are at our best and we will do everything we can to be there tomorrow.”
Ronny was left frustrated by a 1-0 road defeat to Toronto on Saturday and he’s called upon his side to raise their “bottom level” in order to advance to the Champions League semifinals.
“Of course Tigres is a very good football team,” Ronny said, “The Mexican league is good, so it's going to be tough but at the same time you see opportunities.
“We need for our bottom level to be higher, because our top level is good. It’s about performance - when you meet good teams, they punish you much more when you do stupid mistakes. If you make mistakes, then they will score. So that's the big difference.”
Altre notizie - News
- 16:00 NYCFC, a mountain to climb
- 15:00 Alexander Ring, 100 in NYCFC
- 14:00 New York City FC, Qualification Hopes
- 13:00 Finally good news for NYCFC: Maxi Moralez can return against Inter Miami
- 16:00 VIDEO - The perfect Half-Volley of Jesus Medina
- 15:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 14:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Medina Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City, Sean Johnson Reaction
- 08:00 Match Recap - NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City
- 15:00 Tinnerholm: The next game will be crucial for us
- 14:00 New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK
- 15:00 NYCFC, Luckless Concession
- 14:00 New York City FC, A Narrow Loss
- 13:00 New York City FC: All Change
- 01:00 Tinnerholm: Its frustrating to not score the goals
- 00:16 NYCFC face "must-win" game against Orlando City SC after loss to Philadelphia Union
- 13:00 Ibeagha and Rocha are questionable for the game against Philadelphia
- 12:00 NYCFC stadium search slowed by COVID-19: "It just wasn’t anyone’s top priority"
- 22:10 Full Team Training | Gary Mackay-Steven
- 21:59 Sean Johnson on NYCFC's MLS is Back Tournament group draw: We're not looking for excuses
- 15:00 Keaton Parks: "We're excited to get back and play again"
- 14:00 Deila Reaction to Group Stage Draw
- 22:46 Ronny Deila: It will be hard for NYCFC to keep James Sands from European offers
- 14:00 MLS is Back - The thoughts of Ronny Deila
- 07:56 MLS is Back Tournament - Maxi Moralez shares his thoughts
- 22:30 MLS is Back!
- 15:00 NYCFC is working on the second start of the MLS
- 14:00 The meteors passed in New York: Eloi Amagat
- 14:00 MLS Players Association Approves Restart Plan
- 13:00 Plan set for MLS return to full team training with testing ahead of season restart
- 21:24 Sean Johnson on Hudson River Derby, players he most wants to beat
- 18:53 New York Governor Cuomo: "Encourage major sports to plan for reopening"
- 22:00 Why Jack Harrison saw NYCFC as his best bet to get back home to England
- 21:48 David Villa's MVP talent, everyman work ethic put NYCFC on the map