The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a new guideline Sunday suggesting mass gatherings of more than 50 people be restricted for an eight-week period, which would likely extend the suspension of all sports leagues.
The goal of the mandate is to slow the spread of the coronavirus pandemic by limiting the amount of large events that could spur mass transmission. Restricting these types of events can also reduce the introduction of the coronavirus into new communities.
The CDC listed sporting events as a form of mass gatherings that should avoided and suggested the cancellation or postponement of any event consisting of 50 people or more for the next eight weeks. While the guideline is not a government mandate, MLS, NWSL and USL have all followed previous CDC guidelines closely, including suggestions to self-quarantine players who have traveled from outside of the country.
MLS originally suspended all matches for 30 days and paused training through Friday this week.
The NWSL canceled all preseason matches and restricted training through March 22.
Both leagues issued statements the past week expressing their willingness to adhere to the suggestions of the CDC and other government health officials.
Altre notizie - News
- 22:10 Full Team Training | Gary Mackay-Steven
- 21:59 Sean Johnson on NYCFC's MLS is Back Tournament group draw: We're not looking for excuses
- 15:00 Keaton Parks: "We're excited to get back and play again"
- 14:00 Deila Reaction to Group Stage Draw
- 22:46 Ronny Deila: It will be hard for NYCFC to keep James Sands from European offers
- 14:00 MLS is Back - The thoughts of Ronny Deila
- 07:56 MLS is Back Tournament - Maxi Moralez shares his thoughts
- 22:30 MLS is Back!
- 15:00 NYCFC is working on the second start of the MLS
- 14:00 The meteors passed in New York: Eloi Amagat
- 14:00 MLS Players Association Approves Restart Plan
- 13:00 Plan set for MLS return to full team training with testing ahead of season restart
- 21:24 Sean Johnson on Hudson River Derby, players he most wants to beat
- 18:53 New York Governor Cuomo: "Encourage major sports to plan for reopening"
- 22:00 Why Jack Harrison saw NYCFC as his best bet to get back home to England
- 21:48 David Villa's MVP talent, everyman work ethic put NYCFC on the map
- 21:48 FC Cincinnati had contact with Dome Torrent for head coach, but no interview
- 15:00 Ronny Deila watching every 2019 match, learning Spanish during break
- 14:00 Ronald Matarrita: Costa Rica is the best team in Concacaf
- 19:00 NYCFC donates 100,000 meals to NY Common Pantry in coronavirus relief effort
- 18:27 NYCFC, An Update from Brad Sims
- 20:00 NYCFC helping with coronavirus impact close to home
- 19:39 NYCFC Meets with Ian Joy Powered by Cisco Webex | Ronny Deila
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos