Major League Soccer today unveiled MLS Unites, a league-wide platform that highlights all of the efforts that MLS players, coaches, clubs and the league are doing to address the important messages and programs taking place during the COVID-19 pandemic. The new initiative was launched in partnership with the Major League Soccer Players Association.
As part of MLS Unites, the league will have a series of programs involving MLS clubs, players, coaches, staff, partners and fans, that will encompass the following:
Educate and inform fans on the importance of key health and safety messaging.
Provide some fun and engaging content featuring MLS players that will keep them connected to our fans and drive relevance during the postponement of the season.
Showcase and celebrate community “heroes,” those who are fighting the pandemic on the frontlines.
“Bringing together our Major League Soccer community, all while staying apart, is the spirit of MLS Unites,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “During this challenging moment in history, I know we can count on the MLS family to come together when we need each other most. Together with our fans, players, teams and partners, we will shine a light on what can be done, and on the heroes leading the way.”
The first element of MLS Unites was unveiled this afternoon with a VIDEO featuring social content from MLS players and coaches. In addition, a website dedicated to the new initiative can be found at https://www.mlssoccer.com/mlsunites.
As part of today’s launch, MLS clubs, players, coaches, fans, partners and staff are joining forces on social media to celebrate community heroes fighting on the frontlines and thanking doctors, nurses and all healthcare professionals in conjunction with National Doctors’ Day in the United States. Fans are invited to join the league in MLS Unites with their ideas, work, contributions, and creativity, and on social media using #MLSUnites.
Below is a sampling of how our MLS community is uniting to inspire, inform and engage.
MLS WORKS, the League’s social responsibility platform will highlight those in communities across the U.S. and Canada that are making a difference in the fight against COVID-19 through a Community Heroes program. More details to come at a later date.
In the meantime, MLS encourages our fans and the entire soccer community to use #MLSUnites to share how they are doing their part and recognizing their local community heroes on the front lines including healthcare workers, small business owners and/or other members of the community who are helping us all get through these difficult times. Select stories will be featured weekly through League and club channels.
MLS is consulting with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Health Canada (HC), infectious disease specialists and other public health entities to receive and share the most updated information and guidance. An essential guide about COVID-19 information for all fans can be found at mlssoccer.com/2020/covid-19 including a six-step graphic on how to prevent the spread, along with mental health information and coping tips, ways to support relief efforts and more.
MLS is joining with its media partners in the U.S., Canada and throughout the world to bring a robust programming plan to fans over the coming weeks. MLS is leveraging technology to bring the soccer community together during this time of social distancing through an enhanced fan engagement plan featuring dynamic programming and groundbreaking new content experiences. Each week classic MLS matches and new original programming will air across partner broadcast and digital channels as well as across MLSsoccer.com, the MLS app and MLS social channels.
Fans are encouraged to stay connected to their club and the MLS community through player chats, live-at-home workouts, classic games and more. Additionally, eMLS will be rolling out a robust programming lineup in the coming weeks with both esports players and MLS players.
A sampling of how clubs are impacting local communities is detailed below. For more information on “MLS Unites,” visit MLSsoccer.com/MLSUnites.
Autore: Stefano Bentivogli
Other news - MLS
- 16:00 Lee: "We just have to thank Tinnerholm for what he has done for us"
- 14:00 David Lee reveals the reasons behind the departure of Alex Callens from New York City FC
- 07:00 NYCFC, David Lee praises great players who have left the club
- 21:30 Lee: "It was exciting to be back at Yankee Stadium with our fans"
- 20:30 Fans and the will to win: the perfect combination for NYCFC
- 20:00 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal bring back defender Gabriele Corbo from Italy's Bologna FC
- 19:45 OFFICIAL - DC United sign Lewis O'Brien on loan from Nottingham Forest
- 19:00 MLS - Colorado Rapids captain Jack Price out for 2023 with Achilles tendon injury
- 18:30 PSG, Barcelona or MLS: Leo Messi's great dilemma
- 17:36 NYCFC, Talles Magno's return to score is extremely important
- 13:30 NYCFC 3-2 DC UNITED: THE HIGHLIGHTS
- 12:30 NYCFC-DC United 3-2, Cushing: "I can't praise our fans enough"
- 11:10 NYCFC-DC United 3-2: second straight win
- 22:31 NYCFC, there are no injuries. Full squad against DC United
- 01:00 Cushing: "We have to fight to get as many playoff games here in front of our fans"
- 23:30 NYCFC, must turn Yankee Stadium into its fortress
- 22:40 NYCFC, Cushing: "We must have more consistency in performance"
- 21:54 NYCFC vs DC United, Cushing: "We have to play the best for our fans"
- 21:31 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Signs Midfielder Jonathan Shore to a Homegrown Contract
- 13:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "We wanted to win for our fans"
- 11:30 NYCFC 1-0 INTER MIAMI CF: the Blues take their first victory
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: “We’re really excited to play at home"
- 22:17 Leagues Cup - NYCFC To Face Toronto FC & Atlas FC
- 23:34 Here we are! The blue tide is ready to welcome NYCFC
- 22:22 Cushing on Sands: "He acquired great maturity in Europe"
- 11:54 eSports - Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, this is how it ended with Fifa23 | VIDEO
- 11:33 Chicago Fire 1-1 NYCFC, first point of the season
- 23:44 NYCFC, Sands crucial player already available against Chicago Fire
- 21:41 Chicago Fire vs NYCFC, two players unavailable for Cushing
- 15:35 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Acquired Midfielder Santiago Rodriguez
- 01:52 Cufrè: "Exciting debut, we want to improve against Chicago"
- 00:50 Nick Cushing on Tayvon Gray's condition: 'He's still working, but it will be difficult for him'
- 23:15 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: ”We Have To Create The Moment"
- 11:08 NYCFC, incomplete team, there's a lot to work for Cushing
- 14:30 NYCFC, Chanot: "We’re very excited for the beginning of the season"
- 13:12 Injury Report | Clean Bill of Health For Nashville Trip
- 19:13 NYCFC ends the preseason with a loss. Cufre's debut
- 15:44 OFFICIAL - Charlotte FC exercise offseason buyout on Yordy Reyna
- 15:12 OFFICIAL - Houston Dynamo FC have signed defender Tate Schmitt
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing has no doubts about the great help that the newcomer will be able to give
- 22:39 NYCFC, Cushing: "I rely heavily on the leadership of veterans"
- 18:31 OFFICIAL - Sebastián Driussi signs long-term extension with Austin FC
- 15:02 OFFICIAL - Real Salt Lake sign Colombian defender Brayan Vera
- 13:46 Preseason Update: NYCFC vs. San Diego Loyal friendly has been cancelled
- 23:09 Callens debuts in Spain but leaves a void in New York
- 21:46 New York City FC restarts from veteran players
- 20:25 Jankto reveals: "I'm gay and I don't want to hide anymore". Homosexuality in soccer remains a taboo
- 17:22 NYCFC will be a season of great responsibility for Alfredo Morales
- 15:27 OFFICIAL - CF Montréal have signed forward Jules-Anthony Vilsaint
- 12:40 NYCFC, Santi Rodriguez is ready to make a comeback