Major League Soccer today unveiled MLS Unites, a league-wide platform that highlights all of the efforts that MLS players, coaches, clubs and the league are doing to address the important messages and programs taking place during the COVID-19 pandemic. The new initiative was launched in partnership with the Major League Soccer Players Association.
As part of MLS Unites, the league will have a series of programs involving MLS clubs, players, coaches, staff, partners and fans, that will encompass the following:
Educate and inform fans on the importance of key health and safety messaging.
Provide some fun and engaging content featuring MLS players that will keep them connected to our fans and drive relevance during the postponement of the season.
Showcase and celebrate community “heroes,” those who are fighting the pandemic on the frontlines.
“Bringing together our Major League Soccer community, all while staying apart, is the spirit of MLS Unites,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “During this challenging moment in history, I know we can count on the MLS family to come together when we need each other most. Together with our fans, players, teams and partners, we will shine a light on what can be done, and on the heroes leading the way.”
The first element of MLS Unites was unveiled this afternoon with a VIDEO featuring social content from MLS players and coaches. In addition, a website dedicated to the new initiative can be found at https://www.mlssoccer.com/mlsunites.
As part of today’s launch, MLS clubs, players, coaches, fans, partners and staff are joining forces on social media to celebrate community heroes fighting on the frontlines and thanking doctors, nurses and all healthcare professionals in conjunction with National Doctors’ Day in the United States. Fans are invited to join the league in MLS Unites with their ideas, work, contributions, and creativity, and on social media using #MLSUnites.
Below is a sampling of how our MLS community is uniting to inspire, inform and engage.
MLS WORKS, the League’s social responsibility platform will highlight those in communities across the U.S. and Canada that are making a difference in the fight against COVID-19 through a Community Heroes program. More details to come at a later date.
In the meantime, MLS encourages our fans and the entire soccer community to use #MLSUnites to share how they are doing their part and recognizing their local community heroes on the front lines including healthcare workers, small business owners and/or other members of the community who are helping us all get through these difficult times. Select stories will be featured weekly through League and club channels.
MLS is consulting with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Health Canada (HC), infectious disease specialists and other public health entities to receive and share the most updated information and guidance. An essential guide about COVID-19 information for all fans can be found at mlssoccer.com/2020/covid-19 including a six-step graphic on how to prevent the spread, along with mental health information and coping tips, ways to support relief efforts and more.
MLS is joining with its media partners in the U.S., Canada and throughout the world to bring a robust programming plan to fans over the coming weeks. MLS is leveraging technology to bring the soccer community together during this time of social distancing through an enhanced fan engagement plan featuring dynamic programming and groundbreaking new content experiences. Each week classic MLS matches and new original programming will air across partner broadcast and digital channels as well as across MLSsoccer.com, the MLS app and MLS social channels.
Fans are encouraged to stay connected to their club and the MLS community through player chats, live-at-home workouts, classic games and more. Additionally, eMLS will be rolling out a robust programming lineup in the coming weeks with both esports players and MLS players.
A sampling of how clubs are impacting local communities is detailed below. For more information on “MLS Unites,” visit MLSsoccer.com/MLSUnites.
Other news - MLS
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales
- 22:30 NYCFC in talks to sign Fortuna Dusseldorf midfielder Alfredo Morales
- 21:37 New York City FC, Thiago is coming from Bahia
- 14:00 NYCFC, Sergio Aguero is free: a difficult but not impossible business
- 18:06 New York City FC’s preseason friendly with Nashville SC has been cancelled
- 16:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "We are strong, we are training hard "
- 15:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "This season will be much better than last season"
- 14:00 Ian Paul Joy of YESNetwork assures: "It will be a positive season for NYCFC"
- 21:56 NYCFC announced the full MLS 2021 schedule
- 00:05 NYCFC, the dangers of playing the MLS and the Leagues Cup
- 23:20 Deila: "We can't wait to face the challenge in this year's League Cup"
- 22:48 New York City FC will participate in the 2021 Leagues Cup
- 23:00 Lee: "Gloster is young but he has already great experience"
- 22:15 Gloster: "It's a great honor to be part of NYCFC"
- 21:51 OFFICIAL - NYCFC sign US youth international Chris Gloster from PSV
- 22:28 NYCFC, Deila on transfer market: "We look at different players"
- 18:26 NYCFC, Ronny Deila admits: "We need more quality players"
- 01:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We know how we can improve from the last season"
- 00:05 NYCFC, Brad Sims: "We are optimistic that we'll be able to welcome ourfans back to Yankee Stadium on April 24th"
- 23:10 MLS - CF Montréal named Wilfried Nancy head coach
- 22:00 NYCFC, David Lee: "We are delighted to welcome Gedion back for another season"
- 21:23 New York City FC announced the Club’s preseason roster for the 2021 season
- 21:15 NYCFC, Juan Pablo Torres Loaned Out
- 21:13 NYCFC, Gedion Zelalem re-signed a new contract