Major League Soccer today unveiled MLS Unites, a league-wide platform that highlights all of the efforts that MLS players, coaches, clubs and the league are doing to address the important messages and programs taking place during the COVID-19 pandemic. The new initiative was launched in partnership with the Major League Soccer Players Association.
As part of MLS Unites, the league will have a series of programs involving MLS clubs, players, coaches, staff, partners and fans, that will encompass the following:
Educate and inform fans on the importance of key health and safety messaging.
Provide some fun and engaging content featuring MLS players that will keep them connected to our fans and drive relevance during the postponement of the season.
Showcase and celebrate community “heroes,” those who are fighting the pandemic on the frontlines.
“Bringing together our Major League Soccer community, all while staying apart, is the spirit of MLS Unites,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “During this challenging moment in history, I know we can count on the MLS family to come together when we need each other most. Together with our fans, players, teams and partners, we will shine a light on what can be done, and on the heroes leading the way.”
The first element of MLS Unites was unveiled this afternoon with a VIDEO featuring social content from MLS players and coaches. In addition, a website dedicated to the new initiative can be found at https://www.mlssoccer.com/mlsunites.
As part of today’s launch, MLS clubs, players, coaches, fans, partners and staff are joining forces on social media to celebrate community heroes fighting on the frontlines and thanking doctors, nurses and all healthcare professionals in conjunction with National Doctors’ Day in the United States. Fans are invited to join the league in MLS Unites with their ideas, work, contributions, and creativity, and on social media using #MLSUnites.
Below is a sampling of how our MLS community is uniting to inspire, inform and engage.
MLS WORKS, the League’s social responsibility platform will highlight those in communities across the U.S. and Canada that are making a difference in the fight against COVID-19 through a Community Heroes program. More details to come at a later date.
In the meantime, MLS encourages our fans and the entire soccer community to use #MLSUnites to share how they are doing their part and recognizing their local community heroes on the front lines including healthcare workers, small business owners and/or other members of the community who are helping us all get through these difficult times. Select stories will be featured weekly through League and club channels.
MLS is consulting with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Health Canada (HC), infectious disease specialists and other public health entities to receive and share the most updated information and guidance. An essential guide about COVID-19 information for all fans can be found at mlssoccer.com/2020/covid-19 including a six-step graphic on how to prevent the spread, along with mental health information and coping tips, ways to support relief efforts and more.
MLS is joining with its media partners in the U.S., Canada and throughout the world to bring a robust programming plan to fans over the coming weeks. MLS is leveraging technology to bring the soccer community together during this time of social distancing through an enhanced fan engagement plan featuring dynamic programming and groundbreaking new content experiences. Each week classic MLS matches and new original programming will air across partner broadcast and digital channels as well as across MLSsoccer.com, the MLS app and MLS social channels.
Fans are encouraged to stay connected to their club and the MLS community through player chats, live-at-home workouts, classic games and more. Additionally, eMLS will be rolling out a robust programming lineup in the coming weeks with both esports players and MLS players.
A sampling of how clubs are impacting local communities is detailed below. For more information on “MLS Unites,” visit MLSsoccer.com/MLSUnites.
Other news - MLS
- 01:00 Leeds United, interest in Valentin Castellanos persists
- 00:04 Taty Castellanos transfer latest: NYCFC maintain $15 million valuation
- 23:31 NYCFC, David Lee: "Cushing is a fantastic coach"
- 23:00 NYCFC, Nick Cushing: "It's A Huge Privilege To Lead The Team"
- 22:37 Ronny Deila leaves NYCFC: replaced by Nick Cushing
- 20:46 OFFICIAL - Chiellini is a new player of LAFC
- 09:59 NYCFC coach Ronny Deila "in conversations" with Standard Liège of Belgium
- 23:49 New York City FC, solid team and iron defense
- 23:25 NYCFC, the dream of getting Leo Messi vanishes
- 21:00 Kickoff Times Announced for Hudson River Derby and Matches Against Charlotte FC
- 20:04 #NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "Today We Showed How To Win Away"
- 20:30 Deila on Castellanos: "He goes 100% in every challenge"
- 20:00 D.C.UNITED vs NYCFC, Deila: "It's a tough game"
- 19:18 NYCFC extend Maxime Chanot contract through 2024 MLS season
- 18:30 #NYCFC, a young team with a great future
- 17:00 #NYCFC, Maxi Moralez gives more depth to the team
- 15:30 #NYCFC, Talles Magno ne striker of the Blues
- 14:00 #NYCFC, strong finish at Yankee Stadium
- 16:00 NYCFC 2 - 0 Columbus Crew: Match Highlights - VIDEO
- 15:00 #NYCFC Deila on Maxi Moralez: “He is the smartest football player on that pitch"
- 13:55 #NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We Have Been Consistent"
- 21:27 NYCFC, Two Questionable For Columbus Crew
- 21:21 #NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We Are Prepared For Columbus"
- 16:00 Deila: "It wasn’t our best day but at the same time we get a point"
- 15:00 NYCFC 0 - 0 Sporting Kansas City: Match Highlights - VIDEO
- 14:51 #NYCFCSKC, Ronny Deila: "We Defended Really Well"
- 20:00 NYCFC, Maxime Chanot is available but will have to wear a mask
- 18:30 Kansas City, four players out against New York City FC
- 17:00 NYCFC, two out against Kansas. Castellanos is questionable
- 15:30 Ronny Deila on Talles Magno: "I am very happy with the progress he has made"
- 14:00 NYCFC, Deila: "I hope for the support of many fans"
- 10:04 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "You Cannot Underestimate Kansas"
- 23:00 NYCFC, Maxi Moralez and Thiago Martins are available against San Jose Earthquakes
- 22:30 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "It's very important to play in front of our fans"
- 21:56 #NYCFCSJEARTHQUAKES, Ronny Deila: "We Must Match Their Intensity"
- 21:56 NYCFC vs Seattle Sounders, Ronny Deila: "We Must Attack The Situation"
- 21:52 NYCFC, two key players out for the CONCACAF Champions League semifinal
- 16:00 NYCFC, hunt for the first goal of the season in MLS
- 15:00 New York City FC, Ronny Deila: "We missed our fans"
- 17:00 NYCFC, clean sheet but the attack is sterile
- 16:01 Vancouver Whitecaps 0-0 NYCFC, Deila: "We didn't take our chances"
- 15:44 NYCFC: first point won, victory postponed
- 19:00 NYCFC Signs Academy Product Maximo Carrizo
- 17:54 New York City FC, good performance but bitter result for the Blues