The playing surface at Yankee Stadium has been a hot topic around MLS for a while, and star winger Nani experienced it for the first time during Orlando City’s 1-1 draw with New York City FC.
“To tell the truth, it was not the best field I’ve played in my life,” Nani said. “It was very windy, and the pitch was dry. I was a little bit confused, the position of the pitch. But this is not an excuse, because we played with the ball.”
“We did well in the first half. We created our chances. We could score. … We had the opportunity to get the lead. But at the end, one point, if we think about it is not so bad. We must continue to work hard.”
NYCFC is 1-0-4 (7 points) at home so far this season.
“You feel for [NYCFC coach] Domènec [Torrent], you know, as the coach, if that’s the field you’ve got to play on every week,” Orlando City coach James O’Connor said. “You feel for him and the staff and for the players. It’s a difficult field for them to have to go and play on. A lot of people have expressed their view, and everyone knows the situation, but having experienced it, it’s definitely a difficult arena and a difficult field.”
Orlando City completed 65.4 percent of its 327 passes at Yankee Stadium.
“I mean, you can play soccer on it,” goalkeeper Brian Rowe said.
“It’s not the best to really move the ball and conducive to a pretty style of soccer on it. But some games, you know, you just got to dig down and you know what you’re going to get, and I think we did well battling, given the conditions.”
Other news - The Opponent
- 21:00 NYCFC, Sims: "The return of the fans this year has been an incredible boost for our team and for the entire Club"
- 20:19 NYCFC, unveiled the first three games of MLS 2022
- 20:03 Sean Johnson best player in the Hudson River Derby: a reason for pride but also for concern
- 19:23 NYCFC, Ronny Deila under accusation: an immediate change of direction is needed
- 15:55 Ronny Deila: "We have lost three points, we can do better than that"
- 11:18 NYCFC 0-1 Red Bulls: the Blues defeated in the Hudson River Derby
- 00:17 NYCFC, Deila: "We are one, we are a family"
- 14:54 NYCFC, Ronny Deila prepares tactical changes in the Hudson River Derby
- 13:09 NYCFC, two heavy absences for Deila in view of the Hudson River Derby
- 14:32 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Match Highlights
- 13:33 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Taty Castellanos is immediately decisive
- 15:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We need to simplify the way we play"
- 14:00 New York City FC is ready to embrace Taty Castellanos again
- 10:44 NYCFC, two players out against FC Cincinnati
- 23:22 Deila: "“There's a big chance that Heber is back in the squad for the game"
- 22:29 NYCFC, Castellanos unavailable against FC Dallas. Ronny Deila evaluates the alternatives
- 19:00 NYCFC's Injury Report - Heber and Telles Magno out against Toronto FC
- 18:30 Ibeagha: "I will truly miss NYCFC"
- 18:08 OFFICIAL - New York City FC trades Sebastien Ibeagha to Los Angeles FC
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila