Bradley Wright-Phillips wasn’t even thinking about scoring goals. The New York Red Bulls forward has been off the field so long he just wanted to accumulate enough minutes not to be sucking wind.
But coach Chris Armas said Wright-Phillips’ late equalizer in a wild 3-3 draw against Atlanta United was a “great moment for Brad,” and, he hopes, perhaps a harbinger for the future with the Hudson River Derby against New York City FC on the horizon this Sunday at Red Bull Arena.
“For any player coming off an injury, especially goal scorers, you want to play well, but you want to score goals and be sharp in that part of the field,” Armas said. “Brad’s one that doesn’t always get a ton of chances so to see him do that — we’ve seen that so, so many times — so for his confidence, for the team, It was a big moment.”
It was Wright-Phillips’ second goal of the season. His first came in a 4-1 win over San Jose March 16.
“Because I’ve been out for quite a while I haven’t really been thinking of goals. It’s more just trying to play longer than 15 minutes without being really tired,” Wright-Phillips said. “I think in Atlanta I felt good, after a couple of sprints I felt like I wasn’t unfit.”
In his first game back from a groin injury that sidelined him for two months, Wright-Phillips played 23 minutes off the bench in a 3-1 win over the Chicago Fire. After, he admitted feeling exhausted, like it was the first day of preseason.
He played another 17 minutes as a substitute in a 4-0 loss in Houston and the 13 minutes in Atlanta Sunday.
“I feel good, like every day getting stronger,” Wright-Phillips said.
Following a full week of training without limitation, is Wright-Phillips finally ready for his first start since late April?
“He’s definitely a consideration,” Armas said. “For what he lacks in complete fitness for 90 minutes he makes up with intelligence, the sharpness he does have, the fitness he has built, the adrenaline and energy naturally maybe you can go to another level.”
And then there’s Wright-Phillips’ remarkable strike rate against NYCFC. He’s scored 12 goals in 12 all-time regular season meetings.
“It’s obviously a derby match so in the morning I’m excited, a little nervous,” Wright-Phillips said. “I wouldn’t say that has anything to do with it, but I think I’ve just been fortunate for the players I’ve had around me and the teams we’ve put out, it just seemed to fall my way. The ball just seems to drop in the right place when we play them.”
Altre notizie - The Opponent
- 18:22 Ineffective attack and soft defense: a lot of work for Ronny Deila to do
- 15:04 Mackay-Stevens: It's disappointing to lose in this way
- 08:46 Ronny Deila: We have improved, too bad we were eliminated
- 08:39 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers 1-3: Blues eliminated
- 23:30 New York City FC vs Portland Timbers: the probable Starting XI
- 23:00 NYCF vs Portland Timbers - Watch The Show!
- 22:30 Deila: "Maxi has a calf pain that we have to verify"
- 22:00 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 21:40 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers: Tajouri-Shradi and Gedion Zelalem unavailable
- 22:35 Former New York City FC Domenec Torrent will coach the Flamengo team
- 08:05 New York City FC Face Portland Timbers in MLS is Back Quarterfinals
- 14:00 Match Recap | Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC
- 13:00 It's finally Ronny Deila's New York City FC!
- 10:00 Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC - Press Conference Of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 WATCH: NYCFC 3 -TORONTO FC 1: the highlights
- 08:10 NYCFC vs TORONTO FC, Deila: The Boys Really Wanted To Win
- 08:09 NYCFC pass huge Toronto FC hurdle as Maxi Moralez shows his class
- 23:40 New York City in full force: there are no injured players
- 23:23 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 23:22 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Mackay-Steven Preview
- 23:16 NYCFC, emotion, luck and discipline to win
- 23:13 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Tinnerholm Preview
- 14:00 Tinnerholm on the team spirit: We Had a Great Speech And...
- 13:00 Toronto, Bradley launches challenge to NYCFC: "We Know Them Well"
- 12:03 Tinnerholm: We want revenge on Toronto
- 22:00 NYCFC picks up fits win, eliminates Inter Miami from tournament
- 21:00 Inter Miami 0-1 NYCFC - Tajouri-Shradi & Parks Reaction
- 20:56 Inter Miami CF 0, New York City FC 1 | MLS is Back Tournament Match Recap
- 11:00 New York City FC looking to put early-season doldrums behind them against Inter Miami CF
- 10:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Ring Preview
- 08:07 Injury Report | Maxi Rated as Doubtful for Miami
- 14:00 Maxi Moralez hopes to recover against Inter Miami
- 13:00 NYCFC, first game ever against the Inter Miami of Bean Sweat
- 00:01 NYCFC, a game that is worth the whole season
- 23:45 NYCFC, there is hope that Maxi could recover
- 23:27 Former New York City FC standout Jack Harrison, Leeds United earn promotion to English Premier League
- 16:00 NYCFC, a mountain to climb
- 15:00 Alexander Ring, 100 in NYCFC
- 14:00 New York City FC, Qualification Hopes
- 13:00 Finally good news for NYCFC: Maxi Moralez can return against Inter Miami
- 16:00 VIDEO - The perfect Half-Volley of Jesus Medina
- 15:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 14:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Medina Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City, Sean Johnson Reaction
- 08:00 Match Recap - NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City
- 15:00 Tinnerholm: The next game will be crucial for us
- 14:00 New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK
- 15:00 NYCFC, Luckless Concession
- 14:00 New York City FC, A Narrow Loss
- 13:00 New York City FC: All Change
- 01:00 Tinnerholm: Its frustrating to not score the goals
- 00:16 NYCFC face "must-win" game against Orlando City SC after loss to Philadelphia Union