New York City FC’s best performances of the 2020 MLS season, the convincing win over Toronto FC in the MLS is Back Tournament Round of 16 and the second half of Saturday night’s 3-1 victory over Chicago Fire FC, had a common denominator — Maxi Moralez pulling the strings.
The Argentine playmaker’s insertion at halftime changed the game Saturday night and helped lift NYCFC to a second consecutive win at Red Bull Arena.
It was Moralez’s first minutes since a substitute performance in an MLS is Back quarterfinals defeat to the Portland Timbers August 1.
“I don’t think I’ve seen Maxi so fresh and you see that he has no pain and then you also see how good he is, how vital he is for the team,” coach Ronny Deila said after the match. “He created a lot of chances, we played a really good second half. I’m eager to see the future. We just want to play games now.”
Moralez said he felt really good when he arrived in Orlando, but then he quickly picked up a calf injury in the club’s tournament-opening defeat to the Philadelphia Union July 9 and it has been nagging him ever since.
“My leg is a lot better and I actually recovered quicker than I had hoped,” Moralez said through a translator. “I’m 100 percent and ready for Wednesday’s game.”
Moralez picked up his seventh assist in seven all-time performances against Chicago just eight minutes after stepping on the field on what proved to be Anton Tinnerholm’s winner.
“Attacking-wise, he’s the most important player for the team and he makes teammates better. That’s his strength and that’s what I really like about him,” Tinnerholm said of Moralez. “He’s not the guy dribbling five players and scoring. He finds his spaces, today to me and even some balls to Taty [Castellanos] where he can score.”
With Moralez back, NYCFC appear to be humming again. They’ve won consecutive games, moving up from last place in the East to just below the playoff line. But they’re doing so with humility. Now is not the time for swagger. It’s just about on to the next one, which comes Wednesday (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, on DAZN in Canada) against the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium.
“We can’t be pleased just with this, we have another game on [Wednesday] and we’ve gotta win this one,” Tinnerholm said. “It’s important we go from here and don’t feel lie we’re the best team in the league and everything is going to be fine. We have to keep on going and we have to show it on the pitch.”
Altre notizie - News
- 23:30 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Thórarinsson Preview
- 23:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 22:34 Injury Report - Maxi Moralez and two others are unavailable
- 23:00 Tinnerholm is decisive: he is the leader of New York
- 21:35 Ronny Deila expressed his satisfaction with the victory against FC Cincinnati
- 19:57 NYCFC, a growing concern for injured Maxi Moralez
- 18:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Mackay-Steven Reaction
- 16:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 14:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Ronny Reaction on the injuries of Matarrita and Maxi
- 12:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Highlights
- 10:26 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Match Recap
- 23:00 NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx during COVID-19
- 22:18 NYCFC vs. FC Cincinnati - Ronny Deila Preview
- 08:26 Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan
- 14:00 Seitz makes 4 saves, DC United ties NYCFC 0-0 without a shot
- 12:00 New York City FC little cynical and unlucky
- 10:00 DC United 0, New York City FC 0 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:10 D.C. United 0-0 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 18:00 James Sands at risk of disqualification
- 16:00 New York City FC - Only two absent against DC United
- 14:00 DC UNITED vs NYCFC: PROBABLE STARTING XI
- 23:30 Bruce Arena: NYCFC the best team we've played this year
- 22:39 Messi's arrival at New York City FC is postponed
- 23:30 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Joe Scally's Reaction
- 23:00 NE Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Héber Reaction
- 22:23 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 16:00 Fagundez: "We need to learn from" loss to New York City FC
- 14:00 Turner: "We were physically just dominated all night"
- 12:00 Arena: "On the night we were thoroughly outplayed"
- 10:00 New England Revolution 0, New York City FC 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:21 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 16:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Keaton Parks Preview
- 15:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 13:00 NYCFC, offer to Benfica for Cristian Lema
- 22:30 Tinnerholm: "We don't have to think we are the best"
- 21:19 Ronny Deila relies on Maxi Moralez for the third win in a row of NYCFC
- 18:43 Arena | "We're going to anticipate some changes on Wednesday" vs. NYCFC
- 19:00 New York City FC finds the best Anton Tinnerholm
- 17:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Maxi Moralez Reaction
- 15:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 21:48 Maxi Moralez is back and NYCFC is amazing
- 20:59 Breaking News: Messi's future first in Manchester then in New York
- 18:00 New York veterans make the Blues shine again
- 17:00 New York City FC vs. Chicago Fire FC - MLS Highlights
- 16:00 With Maxi Moralez back, NYCFC play best 45 minutes of season in 3-1 win over Chicago Fire FC
- 14:26 Messi does not show up for the Barça tests. NYCFC and MLS continue to pray
- 08:19 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire - Match Recap
- 21:30 A British reporter puts Messi away from NYCFC
- 21:00 NYCFC vs Chicago Fire: Here's how it went last time
- 20:36 Johnson: "We are always on the front line"