New York City FC’s best performances of the 2020 MLS season, the convincing win over Toronto FC in the MLS is Back Tournament Round of 16 and the second half of Saturday night’s 3-1 victory over Chicago Fire FC, had a common denominator — Maxi Moralez pulling the strings.
The Argentine playmaker’s insertion at halftime changed the game Saturday night and helped lift NYCFC to a second consecutive win at Red Bull Arena.
It was Moralez’s first minutes since a substitute performance in an MLS is Back quarterfinals defeat to the Portland Timbers August 1.
“I don’t think I’ve seen Maxi so fresh and you see that he has no pain and then you also see how good he is, how vital he is for the team,” coach Ronny Deila said after the match. “He created a lot of chances, we played a really good second half. I’m eager to see the future. We just want to play games now.”
Moralez said he felt really good when he arrived in Orlando, but then he quickly picked up a calf injury in the club’s tournament-opening defeat to the Philadelphia Union July 9 and it has been nagging him ever since.
“My leg is a lot better and I actually recovered quicker than I had hoped,” Moralez said through a translator. “I’m 100 percent and ready for Wednesday’s game.”
Moralez picked up his seventh assist in seven all-time performances against Chicago just eight minutes after stepping on the field on what proved to be Anton Tinnerholm’s winner.
“Attacking-wise, he’s the most important player for the team and he makes teammates better. That’s his strength and that’s what I really like about him,” Tinnerholm said of Moralez. “He’s not the guy dribbling five players and scoring. He finds his spaces, today to me and even some balls to Taty [Castellanos] where he can score.”
With Moralez back, NYCFC appear to be humming again. They’ve won consecutive games, moving up from last place in the East to just below the playoff line. But they’re doing so with humility. Now is not the time for swagger. It’s just about on to the next one, which comes Wednesday (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, on DAZN in Canada) against the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium.
“We can’t be pleased just with this, we have another game on [Wednesday] and we’ve gotta win this one,” Tinnerholm said. “It’s important we go from here and don’t feel lie we’re the best team in the league and everything is going to be fine. We have to keep on going and we have to show it on the pitch.”
Other news - News
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales
- 22:30 NYCFC in talks to sign Fortuna Dusseldorf midfielder Alfredo Morales
- 21:37 New York City FC, Thiago is coming from Bahia
- 14:00 NYCFC, Sergio Aguero is free: a difficult but not impossible business
- 18:06 New York City FC’s preseason friendly with Nashville SC has been cancelled
- 16:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "We are strong, we are training hard "
- 15:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "This season will be much better than last season"
- 14:00 Ian Paul Joy of YESNetwork assures: "It will be a positive season for NYCFC"
- 21:56 NYCFC announced the full MLS 2021 schedule
- 00:05 NYCFC, the dangers of playing the MLS and the Leagues Cup
- 23:20 Deila: "We can't wait to face the challenge in this year's League Cup"
- 22:48 New York City FC will participate in the 2021 Leagues Cup
- 23:00 Lee: "Gloster is young but he has already great experience"
- 22:15 Gloster: "It's a great honor to be part of NYCFC"
- 21:51 OFFICIAL - NYCFC sign US youth international Chris Gloster from PSV
- 22:28 NYCFC, Deila on transfer market: "We look at different players"
- 18:26 NYCFC, Ronny Deila admits: "We need more quality players"
- 01:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We know how we can improve from the last season"
- 00:05 NYCFC, Brad Sims: "We are optimistic that we'll be able to welcome ourfans back to Yankee Stadium on April 24th"
- 23:10 MLS - CF Montréal named Wilfried Nancy head coach
- 22:00 NYCFC, David Lee: "We are delighted to welcome Gedion back for another season"
- 21:23 New York City FC announced the Club’s preseason roster for the 2021 season
- 21:15 NYCFC, Juan Pablo Torres Loaned Out
- 21:13 NYCFC, Gedion Zelalem re-signed a new contract