New York City FC conceded two unanswered goals to lose to the New York Red Bulls 2-1 on Sunday evening at Red Bull Arena.
When it came to assessing blame for their second consecutive league defeat, NYCFC coach Dome Torrent and his players were unanimous.
“We played a great game. It was our sixth game in two weeks and its a shame to lose the points because the ref had a horrible day today,” NYCFC captain Alex Ring said. “That’s what I think.”
Ring blasted referee Alan Kelly, not for overturning assistant referee Corey Rockwell’s decision to award the Red Bulls a corner kick on the play that led up to Danny Royer’s winning goal in the 60th minute, but for not having “the decency to let everyone know.”
“I think it’s a game-deciding situation,” Ring said. “He has to look in the mirror and be brutally honest because he cost us the points today.”
On the controversial play in question, NYCFC players turned away after Rockwell pointed to the corner flag to prepare for a corner kick. Alex Muyl received the ball and quickly threw it into play. Eventually, Royer headed past Sean Johnson for his second goal of the game.
Johnson was incredulous when the goal was given. He told reporters in the locker room all Kelly said to him on the field was “it was a very difficult decision.” There was no follow-up after the final whistle or when Johnson asked again in the hallway that leads to both the visiting team and officials’ locker room.
In response to questions from a pool reporter, the officials said Kelly overturned the call “because the referee was in a better position to judge that the ball went out for a throw-in.”
There were no hand motions indicating the game would restart via a throw-in, rather it was “indicated verbally.”
Ring said he actually agreed it was a throw-in “because I saw it the same way as him.” But he debated that his team was told the call was changed.
“He doesn’t say anything,” Ring said. “He just let play continue as if he would be part of the Red Bulls team.’”
According to Torrent, Rockwell, who he said “wasn’t brave,” told defender Alex Callens it was a corner kick, even after pointing to the corner.
“He decided the game,” Torrent said of Kelly. “I said to him, you decide the game and you know that. You are not brave. You decide the game.”
Altre notizie - News
- 21:24 Sean Johnson on Hudson River Derby, players he most wants to beat
- 18:53 New York Governor Cuomo: "Encourage major sports to plan for reopening"
- 22:00 Why Jack Harrison saw NYCFC as his best bet to get back home to England
- 21:48 David Villa's MVP talent, everyman work ethic put NYCFC on the map
- 21:48 FC Cincinnati had contact with Dome Torrent for head coach, but no interview
- 15:00 Ronny Deila watching every 2019 match, learning Spanish during break
- 14:00 Ronald Matarrita: Costa Rica is the best team in Concacaf
- 19:00 NYCFC donates 100,000 meals to NY Common Pantry in coronavirus relief effort
- 18:27 NYCFC, An Update from Brad Sims
- 20:00 NYCFC helping with coronavirus impact close to home
- 19:39 NYCFC Meets with Ian Joy Powered by Cisco Webex | Ronny Deila
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York