With New York City long at the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic, both globally and in the United States, NYCFC CEO Brad Sims said the club’s recent attention shifted toward community-focused initiatives.
One byproduct was the ongoing search for a soccer-specific stadium went on pause. The club currently plays at MLB venue Yankee Stadium, though this past winter confirmed discussions with Bronx developers to build a privately-financed 25,000-seat stadium nearby.
“In New York, especially with how hard we got hit early on, it was all about people and safety,” Sims said Monday in a conference call. “There hadn’t really been a lot of specific dialogue and focus since then because it just wasn’t anyone’s top priority and it’s not really appropriate to focus on that during the times we were in.”
As New York state has slowly reopened, Sims said there’s been a shifting mindset to resume projects and talks. He added that it’s a community-driven process, and he’s unsure how COVID-19 has impacted overall timing.
“I think it’s too early to figure out if that’s been impacted, and we continue to do work on our end to control the things that we can control,” Sims said. “But ultimately it’s going to be very driven, the process, on a going forward basis, by community leaders and local elected officials, community boards, et cetera. We’re looking forward to that process, hopefully, starting in the very near future.”
Sims also discussed where NYCFC could play after the MLS is Back Tournament concludes with the Aug. 11 final. The league intends to play matches in-market, and Sims said the impending MLB season makes it “very, very unlikely” that Yankee Stadium will be available.
In a separate call, Sims said that Red Bull Arena, home of Hudson River Derby rival New York Red Bulls, is one possibility. The club played there March 11 during a Concacaf Champions League match against Tigres UANL, and last year’s Audi MLS Playoff match was hosted at Citi Field (home of the MLB's New York Mets).
Sims said he’s become well-acquainted with finding alternate venues and that search will become clearer in the coming weeks. Proximity and an ability to play head coach Ronny Deila's preferred style also factor in, Sims said.
“We’re working through that,” Sims said. “A lot of moving parts about will we be able to have fans or won’t we. If we are, what percent capacity would be allowed? That’s really a situation that’s determined by local government authorities. So, a lot of moving parts but we’re through the process and vetting out numerous venue options."
Altre notizie - News
- 18:22 Ineffective attack and soft defense: a lot of work for Ronny Deila to do
- 15:04 Mackay-Stevens: It's disappointing to lose in this way
- 08:46 Ronny Deila: We have improved, too bad we were eliminated
- 08:39 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers 1-3: Blues eliminated
- 23:30 New York City FC vs Portland Timbers: the probable Starting XI
- 23:00 NYCF vs Portland Timbers - Watch The Show!
- 22:30 Deila: "Maxi has a calf pain that we have to verify"
- 22:00 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 21:40 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers: Tajouri-Shradi and Gedion Zelalem unavailable
- 22:35 Former New York City FC Domenec Torrent will coach the Flamengo team
- 08:05 New York City FC Face Portland Timbers in MLS is Back Quarterfinals
- 14:00 Match Recap | Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC
- 13:00 It's finally Ronny Deila's New York City FC!
- 10:00 Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC - Press Conference Of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 WATCH: NYCFC 3 -TORONTO FC 1: the highlights
- 08:10 NYCFC vs TORONTO FC, Deila: The Boys Really Wanted To Win
- 08:09 NYCFC pass huge Toronto FC hurdle as Maxi Moralez shows his class
- 23:40 New York City in full force: there are no injured players
- 23:23 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 23:22 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Mackay-Steven Preview
- 23:16 NYCFC, emotion, luck and discipline to win
- 23:13 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Tinnerholm Preview
- 14:00 Tinnerholm on the team spirit: We Had a Great Speech And...
- 13:00 Toronto, Bradley launches challenge to NYCFC: "We Know Them Well"
- 12:03 Tinnerholm: We want revenge on Toronto
- 22:00 NYCFC picks up fits win, eliminates Inter Miami from tournament
- 21:00 Inter Miami 0-1 NYCFC - Tajouri-Shradi & Parks Reaction
- 20:56 Inter Miami CF 0, New York City FC 1 | MLS is Back Tournament Match Recap
- 11:00 New York City FC looking to put early-season doldrums behind them against Inter Miami CF
- 10:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Ring Preview
- 08:07 Injury Report | Maxi Rated as Doubtful for Miami
- 14:00 Maxi Moralez hopes to recover against Inter Miami
- 13:00 NYCFC, first game ever against the Inter Miami of Bean Sweat
- 00:01 NYCFC, a game that is worth the whole season
- 23:45 NYCFC, there is hope that Maxi could recover
- 23:27 Former New York City FC standout Jack Harrison, Leeds United earn promotion to English Premier League
- 16:00 NYCFC, a mountain to climb
- 15:00 Alexander Ring, 100 in NYCFC
- 14:00 New York City FC, Qualification Hopes
- 13:00 Finally good news for NYCFC: Maxi Moralez can return against Inter Miami
- 16:00 VIDEO - The perfect Half-Volley of Jesus Medina
- 15:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 14:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Medina Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City, Sean Johnson Reaction
- 08:00 Match Recap - NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City
- 15:00 Tinnerholm: The next game will be crucial for us
- 14:00 New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK