Despite an improved second-half showing, Cushing was left ruing City’s generosity in gifting set-pieces, and shyness in front of goal.
“I don't think we carried enough of the ball to control the game,” he reflected. “There were far too many set-plays – we gave away far too many set-plays because we didn't carry the ball enough, which meant that they could throw the ball.
“We knew they were going to be a direct team, we knew they were going to run off the backline, and put a lot of players up against us – and the one way to control those moments happening is to have the ball.
“We didn't carry the ball enough, and if you give Nashville, who we know are a direct team and play off set-play, that amount of set-plays in the first half, they're going to score.
“For us, it's about controlling the game with the ball. It’s our identity – if the game goes up and down, the opposition are better than us. It’s a simple game.
“If we control the game with the ball like we did in the second half, then we carry enough of the ball, and we pin them back, and we keep them away from our goal, we stop a direct team being able to be direct.
“We’re really disappointed with the second goal because we had the game. We weren't creating clean chances but at 1-0, the game is there for us when we carry so much of the ball.
“We’re really disappointed with the counter-attack. Ultimately, we’ve come here and not played so well in the first half. We played more like ourselves in the second half, and lost the game to a set-play and a counter-attack, which is really disappointing.
“We had so much control in the second half that we just have to create the moment. When you have Gabriel Pereira, Talles Magno, Thiago Andrade on the pitch, all we need to do is carry the ball and we should create the moments, and we didn’t today.
“We need to be better at that – that when we have so much possession, so much control, that we create chances that really hurt the opposition.
“We’re disappointed but we'll go on the training pitch and we'll work at it.”
Other news - News
- 16:52 Three Keys of NYCFC 0-0 Red Bulls
- 16:23 NYCFC 0-0 Red Bulls, Cushing: "Incredible atmosphere at Yankee Stadium"
- 01:20 The Knicks can sacrifice Immanuel Quickley for a star
- 00:01 Maxi Moralez: "I can't wait to be reunited with the fans"
- 23:00 Maxi Moralez back to NYCFC: "I couldn’t be more excited"
- 22:03 David Lee: "Maxi will bring leadership and experience to our group"
- 22:00 OFFICIAL - Maxi Moralez Returns to New York City Football Club
- 13:00 David Lee: "We're excited to integrate Fernandez into the team"
- 07:20 NYCFC Signs Argentinian Forward Julián Fernández
- 15:30 Bernardeschi can leave Toronto: there is interest from an Italian club
- 14:30 Los Angeles Galaxy crazy offer to Hriving Lozano
- 13:42 CR7: "Saudi Pro League is much better than the MLS"
- 18:44 NYCFC, failing season. The trend needs to be reversed
- 17:27 Birk Risa: "I'm happy to be here, I can't wait to get started"
- 15:39 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Signs Norwegian Defender Birk Risa
- 13:44 Taty Castellanos moves to Lazio
- 13:40 Inter Miami, Alba también se sumará al proyecto
- 23:36 OFFICIAL - Inter Miami, Gerardo Martino named new coach
- 22:58 Timothy Weah has landed in Turin, he will be a Juventus player
- 22:56 OFFICIAL - Kai Havertz is a new Arsenal player
- 15:30 Bayern Munich on Kane, there is an agreement on the contract but not the one with Tottenham
- 14:30 West Ham reject Arsenal's third offer for Rice. Manchester City are considering withdrawing from the auction
- 13:24 Mbappé at Real, the striker's mother-agent is the key: she will be the one to deal with PSG
- 19:15 OFFICIAL - "Welcome to Finnesota". Center forward Pukki restarts from MLS
- 19:13 OFFICIAL - Mateo Kovacic leaves Chelsea and signs with Man City
- 18:30 AC Milan wants Pulisic. Berhalter advises the US midfielder
- 18:00 West Ham: 100 million not enough for Declan Rice, rejected offers from Arsenal and Man City
- 17:30 Timothy Weah moves to Italy
- 17:00 NYCFC may pursue former Vancouver Whitecaps player
- 16:30 Antoine Griezmann wants to play in MLS and rejects the offer from Saudi Arabia
- 15:59 Keaton Parks: "I'm happy to be able to do goal and assist"
- 15:32 Bayern Munich, formal offer for Harry Kane
- 15:23 Andrea Pirlo returns to Italy, signs with Sampdoria
- 13:28 Manchester City's Champions League win could impact NYCFC's future
- 12:00 James Sands Selected To Represent The USMNT At The 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup
- 08:30 Lionel Messi lands in the MLS: pros and cons
- 23:48 Real Salt Lake vs NYCFC: one player unavailable for Cushing
- 23:46 NYCFC, Cushing: “We’re Desperate For The First Road Win"
- 22:34 MLS statement on Lionel Messi and Inter Miami CF
- 21:54 OFFICIAL - Messi is a new player of Inter Miami FC
- 19:09 Messi's signing with Inter Miami FC
- 12:00 A new player could soon land in MLS
- 10:23 OFFICIAL - Inter Miami have parted ways with head coach Phil Neville