Thousands of people are currently struggling for food in the South Bronx. NYCFC is stepping up for its neighbors to put a dent in that figure.
The team is delivering 100,000 meals to residents in the area, not far from its Yankee Stadium home, a move that comes after it previously announced a $1.4 million fund alongside the Yankees for gameday staff.
The meal contribution, in conjunction with NY Common Pantry, is funded by a six-figure donation and addresses a glaring need for resources in the team’s backyard. NY Common Pantry, which had a pre-existing relationship with the club, bills itself as “the largest community-based food pantry in the City” and places a particular focus on the homeless population.
“New York Common Pantry is a lifesaving organization and we are proud to do anything we can to contribute to this important work and help our neighbors in the South Bronx stay connected, healthy and fed during this crisis,” NYCFC CEO Brad Sims said in a release. “This is a critical time for New York City, and we are committed to helping communities and individuals, who may need support.”
The club emphasized its desire to specifically help out the South Bronx, which both has an incredible need for food and is often lacking the resources it needs to combat that issue. According to NY Common Pantry Executive Director Stephen Grimaldi, 26 percent of the city’s food insecure (lacking access to food) population live in the Bronx, a figure that exceeds 375,000 people. His organization is hoping NYCFC’s donation will raise the public’s consciousness of this issue.
“As nonprofits, we spend so much time providing service that we just don’t [sometimes have] the ability to disseminate all this information in a way that would make more and more people aware of it,” Grimaldi said. “The power they have is to disseminate information, and to let people know we’re there.”
The club linked to NY Common Pantry’s website in a March 31 tweet to its 394,000 followers in an apparent tease of its just-announced donation.
The meals will be available for pickup and delivery (in accordance with social distancing rules) via NY Common Pantry’s Choice Pantry Bronx (CPBx) location at Freeman Street and Hoe Avenue, which has been starkly impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. Grimaldi said that new intake at the location has more than tripled since the first week of March, with previous patrons often returning for meals as well.
NYCFC also learned Tuesday night that three of its partners — Goya, Dumbo Moving and Storage and Xylem — would also be supporting NY Common Pantry. Another one of its partners, BodyArmor, made a donation of beverages last month.
The donation comes at an undoubtedly critical time, with the rising unemployment rate leaving many New Yorkers in need of food. NYCFC indicated its partnership with the charity would outlast the current health crisis.
“This is just the beginning,” Grimaldi said.
Altre notizie - News
- 18:22 Ineffective attack and soft defense: a lot of work for Ronny Deila to do
- 15:04 Mackay-Stevens: It's disappointing to lose in this way
- 08:46 Ronny Deila: We have improved, too bad we were eliminated
- 08:39 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers 1-3: Blues eliminated
- 23:30 New York City FC vs Portland Timbers: the probable Starting XI
- 23:00 NYCF vs Portland Timbers - Watch The Show!
- 22:30 Deila: "Maxi has a calf pain that we have to verify"
- 22:00 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 21:40 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers: Tajouri-Shradi and Gedion Zelalem unavailable
- 22:35 Former New York City FC Domenec Torrent will coach the Flamengo team
- 08:05 New York City FC Face Portland Timbers in MLS is Back Quarterfinals
- 14:00 Match Recap | Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC
- 13:00 It's finally Ronny Deila's New York City FC!
- 10:00 Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC - Press Conference Of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 WATCH: NYCFC 3 -TORONTO FC 1: the highlights
- 08:10 NYCFC vs TORONTO FC, Deila: The Boys Really Wanted To Win
- 08:09 NYCFC pass huge Toronto FC hurdle as Maxi Moralez shows his class
- 23:40 New York City in full force: there are no injured players
- 23:23 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 23:22 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Mackay-Steven Preview
- 23:16 NYCFC, emotion, luck and discipline to win
- 23:13 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Tinnerholm Preview
- 14:00 Tinnerholm on the team spirit: We Had a Great Speech And...
- 13:00 Toronto, Bradley launches challenge to NYCFC: "We Know Them Well"
- 12:03 Tinnerholm: We want revenge on Toronto
- 22:00 NYCFC picks up fits win, eliminates Inter Miami from tournament
- 21:00 Inter Miami 0-1 NYCFC - Tajouri-Shradi & Parks Reaction
- 20:56 Inter Miami CF 0, New York City FC 1 | MLS is Back Tournament Match Recap
- 11:00 New York City FC looking to put early-season doldrums behind them against Inter Miami CF
- 10:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Ring Preview
- 08:07 Injury Report | Maxi Rated as Doubtful for Miami
- 14:00 Maxi Moralez hopes to recover against Inter Miami
- 13:00 NYCFC, first game ever against the Inter Miami of Bean Sweat
- 00:01 NYCFC, a game that is worth the whole season
- 23:45 NYCFC, there is hope that Maxi could recover
- 23:27 Former New York City FC standout Jack Harrison, Leeds United earn promotion to English Premier League
- 16:00 NYCFC, a mountain to climb
- 15:00 Alexander Ring, 100 in NYCFC
- 14:00 New York City FC, Qualification Hopes
- 13:00 Finally good news for NYCFC: Maxi Moralez can return against Inter Miami
- 16:00 VIDEO - The perfect Half-Volley of Jesus Medina
- 15:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 14:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Medina Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City, Sean Johnson Reaction
- 08:00 Match Recap - NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City
- 15:00 Tinnerholm: The next game will be crucial for us
- 14:00 New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK
- 15:00 NYCFC, Luckless Concession
- 14:00 New York City FC, A Narrow Loss
- 13:00 New York City FC: All Change
- 01:00 Tinnerholm: Its frustrating to not score the goals
- 00:16 NYCFC face "must-win" game against Orlando City SC after loss to Philadelphia Union