Just over six months after New York City FC academy product Giovanni Reyna made the move to Borussia Dortmund, the 18-year-old has been promoted to pemanent first-team status at with the traditional Bundesliga power.
Reyna, whose father Claudio is an all-time US national team great and current Austin FC technical director, made the move from NYCFC's academy on July 1, and had already been named to Dortmund's 31-man UEFA Champions League roster. On the field, he has featured mainly for Dortmund's U-19 side, scoring eight goals in 16 appearances between all competitions.
(Claudio was NYCFC's technical director at the time Giovanni departed for Dortmund, leaving for the Austin post later last year.)
Giovanni was included in Dortmund's first-team camp during the Bundesliga winter break, and over the weekend he scored a goal and had an assist in a 4-2 friendly win against Eredivisie side Feynoord. His overall showing in the camp in Marbella, Spain, convinced club sporting director Michael Zorc into a promotion.
"He presented himself well in Marbella, that's why we want to put him on a much higher level at training," Zorc told the Bundesliga website. "We want to develop him to a full-fledged player of Borussia Dortmund."
Reyna — who also appeared in all three games for the USA in the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup — is expected to continue playing mainly for Dortmund's U-19s for now while he trains in a first-team setting. But his trajectory is reminiscent of USMNT and Chelsea star Christian Pulisic's early time at Dortmund.
Pulisic joined the Bundesliga academy set-up just ahead of his 17th birthday in 2015, and also used winter camp to earn a first-team promotion. By the following season, he was playing exclusively with the first team, making 29 Bundesliga appearances (15 starts) and getting 10 more games in the UEFA Champions League as Dortmund reached the quarterfinals.
Altre notizie - News
- 23:00 Tinnerholm is decisive: he is the leader of New York
- 21:35 Ronny Deila expressed his satisfaction with the victory against FC Cincinnati
- 19:57 NYCFC, a growing concern for injured Maxi Moralez
- 18:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Mackay-Steven Reaction
- 16:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 14:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Ronny Reaction on the injuries of Matarrita and Maxi
- 12:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Highlights
- 10:26 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Match Recap
- 23:00 NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx during COVID-19
- 22:18 NYCFC vs. FC Cincinnati - Ronny Deila Preview
- 08:26 Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan
- 14:00 Seitz makes 4 saves, DC United ties NYCFC 0-0 without a shot
- 12:00 New York City FC little cynical and unlucky
- 10:00 DC United 0, New York City FC 0 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:10 D.C. United 0-0 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 18:00 James Sands at risk of disqualification
- 16:00 New York City FC - Only two absent against DC United
- 14:00 DC UNITED vs NYCFC: PROBABLE STARTING XI
- 23:30 Bruce Arena: NYCFC the best team we've played this year
- 22:39 Messi's arrival at New York City FC is postponed
- 23:30 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Joe Scally's Reaction
- 23:00 NE Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Héber Reaction
- 22:23 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 16:00 Fagundez: "We need to learn from" loss to New York City FC
- 14:00 Turner: "We were physically just dominated all night"
- 12:00 Arena: "On the night we were thoroughly outplayed"
- 10:00 New England Revolution 0, New York City FC 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:21 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 16:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Keaton Parks Preview
- 15:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 13:00 NYCFC, offer to Benfica for Cristian Lema
- 22:30 Tinnerholm: "We don't have to think we are the best"
- 21:19 Ronny Deila relies on Maxi Moralez for the third win in a row of NYCFC
- 18:43 Arena | "We're going to anticipate some changes on Wednesday" vs. NYCFC
- 19:00 New York City FC finds the best Anton Tinnerholm
- 17:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Maxi Moralez Reaction
- 15:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 21:48 Maxi Moralez is back and NYCFC is amazing
- 20:59 Breaking News: Messi's future first in Manchester then in New York
- 18:00 New York veterans make the Blues shine again
- 17:00 New York City FC vs. Chicago Fire FC - MLS Highlights
- 16:00 With Maxi Moralez back, NYCFC play best 45 minutes of season in 3-1 win over Chicago Fire FC
- 14:26 Messi does not show up for the Barça tests. NYCFC and MLS continue to pray
- 08:19 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire - Match Recap
- 21:30 A British reporter puts Messi away from NYCFC
- 21:00 NYCFC vs Chicago Fire: Here's how it went last time
- 20:36 Johnson: "We are always on the front line"
- 15:00 Lionel Messi expected to break silence amid NYCFC rumors
- 13:00 Tajouri-Shradi and Maxi Moralez have recovered from their injuries
- 19:02 MLS Report: Lionel Messi move to NYCFC part of Manchester City contract offer
- 16:15 Sundas: “Messi wants join NYCFC”
- 15:17 Leo Messi can finish his career at NYCFC