Prior to Saturday’s match against the New England Revolution, Jesus Medina had appeared once in eight matches and accumulated playing time equivalent to two full matches in the last 20 games.
The limited play was evidence that Medina had failed to earn the trust of New York City FC head coach Dome Torrent.
But an uptick in his training performances, plus an injury to the team’s leading scorer, Héber, led to Torrent selecting Medina off the bench when he needed an attacking element in the Revolution match with 30 minutes left to play and NYCFC trailing 1-0.
Medina — who had scored two goals since Aug. 4, 2018 — recorded a brace and New York City defeated the Revolution 2-1 at Yankee Stadium
“I feel really happy because I feel vindicated,” Medina told Pro Soccer USA through a translator. “I personally always have the confidence to play.”
Medina scored the equalizer in the 70th minute when Anton Tinnerholm whipped in a cross from the right flank that the Paraguayan cleverly flicked over the helpless keeper, Matt Turner.
“He showed some quality,” said Tinnerholm, who celebrated a new contract with his career best 7th assist. ”Many players today hit the goalkeeper, and he found a little bit of a chip instead.”
Nevertheless, it was the game-winner during stoppage time that may prove to be the defining moment in Medina’s NYCFC existence.
Alexandru Mitriță was taken down in the area, giving New York City a penalty. A conversion assured City a place at the top of the table with six games remaining.
Maxi Moralez – who had taken all of City’s penalty kicks this season and converted four of seven – handed that chore to the enigmatic 22-year-old Medina.
“It was a decision in the moment,” Medina said. “Maxi asked me if I wanted to take the penalty and I said yes, and I’m happy that Maxi thought of me and trusted me and it gave me the confidence in that moment to score the goal and win.”
Torrent recalled that Lionel Messi did the same thing at times, “saying to Luis Suarez and others, ‘you take the kick.'”
“I say to Maxi, ‘If you decide you’re not sure to shoot the penalty, then Taty’s ready, Mitri’s ready, Jesus is ready, Keaton is ready,” Torrent said, rattling off various NYCFC players.
So Moralez chose Medina, who caught Turner guessing the wrong way and finished a comfortable left-footed strike to move New York City a step closer to their first Eastern Conference championship.
“I’m very happy, especially for Jesus,” Torrent said. “In the training session, he convinced me. I don’t choose the players because this is a blonde player or this is a funny player – it’s about the performance in the facility.”
With Moralez suspended for Wednesday’s home match versus Toronto FC due to yellow card accumulation, Torrent hinted that Medina would make his fifth start in 15 games against the Reds.
“I already said to him before this game to be ready for Toronto,” Torrent said.
Altre notizie - News
- 18:22 Ineffective attack and soft defense: a lot of work for Ronny Deila to do
- 15:04 Mackay-Stevens: It's disappointing to lose in this way
- 08:46 Ronny Deila: We have improved, too bad we were eliminated
- 08:39 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers 1-3: Blues eliminated
- 23:30 New York City FC vs Portland Timbers: the probable Starting XI
- 23:00 NYCF vs Portland Timbers - Watch The Show!
- 22:30 Deila: "Maxi has a calf pain that we have to verify"
- 22:00 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 21:40 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers: Tajouri-Shradi and Gedion Zelalem unavailable
- 22:35 Former New York City FC Domenec Torrent will coach the Flamengo team
- 08:05 New York City FC Face Portland Timbers in MLS is Back Quarterfinals
- 14:00 Match Recap | Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC
- 13:00 It's finally Ronny Deila's New York City FC!
- 10:00 Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC - Press Conference Of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 WATCH: NYCFC 3 -TORONTO FC 1: the highlights
- 08:10 NYCFC vs TORONTO FC, Deila: The Boys Really Wanted To Win
- 08:09 NYCFC pass huge Toronto FC hurdle as Maxi Moralez shows his class
- 23:40 New York City in full force: there are no injured players
- 23:23 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 23:22 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Mackay-Steven Preview
- 23:16 NYCFC, emotion, luck and discipline to win
- 23:13 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Tinnerholm Preview
- 14:00 Tinnerholm on the team spirit: We Had a Great Speech And...
- 13:00 Toronto, Bradley launches challenge to NYCFC: "We Know Them Well"
- 12:03 Tinnerholm: We want revenge on Toronto
- 22:00 NYCFC picks up fits win, eliminates Inter Miami from tournament
- 21:00 Inter Miami 0-1 NYCFC - Tajouri-Shradi & Parks Reaction
- 20:56 Inter Miami CF 0, New York City FC 1 | MLS is Back Tournament Match Recap
- 11:00 New York City FC looking to put early-season doldrums behind them against Inter Miami CF
- 10:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Ring Preview
- 08:07 Injury Report | Maxi Rated as Doubtful for Miami
- 14:00 Maxi Moralez hopes to recover against Inter Miami
- 13:00 NYCFC, first game ever against the Inter Miami of Bean Sweat
- 00:01 NYCFC, a game that is worth the whole season
- 23:45 NYCFC, there is hope that Maxi could recover
- 23:27 Former New York City FC standout Jack Harrison, Leeds United earn promotion to English Premier League
- 16:00 NYCFC, a mountain to climb
- 15:00 Alexander Ring, 100 in NYCFC
- 14:00 New York City FC, Qualification Hopes
- 13:00 Finally good news for NYCFC: Maxi Moralez can return against Inter Miami
- 16:00 VIDEO - The perfect Half-Volley of Jesus Medina
- 15:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 14:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Medina Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City, Sean Johnson Reaction
- 08:00 Match Recap - NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City
- 15:00 Tinnerholm: The next game will be crucial for us
- 14:00 New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK