NYCFC coach Ronny Deila is well aware of the repercussions of losing the first game in any group stage.
It puts immense pressure on the second game and that’s just where NYCFC are following a 1-0 defeat to the Philadelphia Union Thursday morning in the MLS is Back Tournament.
“If we want to have it in our hands, we need to win the next game,” Deila said. “If we draw, then it’s not in our own hands, but it’s still a possibility. We of course are going into it wanting to win and going for three points in the next game.”
Deila was encouraged by his team’s discipline and ability to create more opportunities than the Union and said there is plenty NYCFC can build upon heading into their next match against Orlando City SC July 14 (10:30 pm ET | TUDN, Twitter, TSN).
He felt the rare 9 am ET start time affected the game, but for both teams.
“It goes slower, of course, so you have to be more disciplined and you have to try to keep yourself together and compact,” Deila said. “If you get stretched and just go from side to side, it’s going to be a bad football game. Maybe fun to watch, but bad to look at as a coach. I think it was a tight game, two teams that are good teams. You can see not so many chances. When it was so hot, I think both teams were quite compact and handled the heat good.”
Deila said Alexandru Mitrita picked up a knock in the team's last training session before the match and was unavailable against the Union. But he doesn’t anticipate the injury to be severe enough to keep him out of his selection against Orlando.
And Maxi Moralez was subbed off in the 76th minute after feeling discomfort in his quad.
“Hopefully that’s not too big, but he needed to go off,” Deila said.
Altre notizie - Focus
- 23:14 New York City FC dismantled: it will be a tough season
- 22:57 City Football Group adds Bolivia's Club Bolivar as partner club
- 21:54 After Gomez even Ribery has been linked to NYCFC
- 16:31 NYCFC's Joe Scally makes move to Borussia Monchengladbach
- 22:02 Messi to MLS: bought a family apartment in Miami
- 20:00 Almeyda: "MLS wolud be the right league for Messi"
- 19:00 Papu Gomez linked to New York City FC
- 18:25 NYCFC, 2020 is a year of bitterness for fans
- 18:30 New York City FC, team weakened on the pitch and in the locker room
- 18:00 NYCFC's Alexandru Mitrita scores again in loan stint with Saudi Arabia's Al-Ahli
- 17:01 Austin FC sign former NYCFC goalkeeper Brad Stuver
- 22:48 Messi: "I always had the illusion of living in the US"
- 15:00 David Beckham tries to convince Messi to play for Inter Miami
- 14:00 New York City FC option for the future of Leo Messi
- 23:30 Keaton Parks Named NYCFC’s Young Player of the Year for 2020
- 23:00 Sean Johnson Named NYCFC’s Defensive Player of the Year for 2020
- 23:42 Austin FC, Reyna: "Ring will be a great addition to our club"
- 23:32 New York City FC, the Ring trade is a non sense choice
- 21:15 Sean Johnson out for Concacaf Champions League match against Tigres
- 21:07 Tigres UANL vs. NYCFC - Taty Castellanos Preview
- 21:05 Tigres UANL vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 22:13 Orlando City Goalkeeper Mason Stajduhar Loaned to NYCFC
- 22:12 New York City FC Announces Travel Plans for the Resumption of 2020 Concacaf Champions League
- 23:00 Stuver's emotional message after leaving NYCFC
- 22:39 NYCFC, Surgery for Alex Ring
- 17:36 NYCFC, exercise options for 5 players. Brad Stuver leaves NY
- 22:15 Sean Johnson: "Thanks to all the supporters who stuck with us through this challenging year"
- 21:51 New York City FC, Tinnerholm expressed his feelings
- 23:47 New York City FC, need to grow mentally and be more concrete
- 23:38 NYCFC, former intern describes sexual harassment allegations against David Villa
- 18:00 Tinnerholm: "It is brutal to lose this way"
- 17:00 Parks: "We deserved the victory"
- 16:00 Ronny Deila: "I'm devasteted"
- 15:30 New York City FC defeated: team without personality
- 15:00 NEW POLL - Orlando City 6 - 5 New York City FC: is it the worst defeat in the history of the Blues?
- 14:00 Orlando City (6) 1-1 (5) NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 00:01 What happened in the Orlando City vs. NYCFC penalty shootout? Here are the official explanations from PRO
- 23:33 Match Recap | Orlando City 1-1 NYCFC
- 22:30 Orlando 6 - 5 NYCFC: Orlando advanced New York returns home
- 16:32 Orlando City - NYCFC 1-1: PENALTIES LIVE ON (6-5) NOW IT'S OVER
- 16:00 Deila: "Orlando is a good team but..."
- 15:18 NYCFC, three players out against Orlando City
- 19:30 Deila: “We are ready for what’s coming"
- 18:30 Tinnerholm: "The season starts for real on Saturday for us"
- 17:30 Orlando City SC vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview - VIDEO