After a rough week-long road trip, coach Marc Dos Santos says his Vancouver Whitecaps are returning home to what feels like a bit of a rude dinner guest.
While the Whitecaps (6-13-9) dropped a 2-1 decision in Montreal Wednesday night and faced travel delays in their return to B.C., New York City FC (13-5-8) has been in town for days preparing for Saturday’s match up.
Dos Santos compared the situation to inviting someone you don’t know well over for dinner.
“You tell him ‘Hey, be there at 7.’ And when you arrive at 7, he’s already there, smoking a cigar on your couch. It’s the same thing. It doesn’t make sense,” the coach said.
“We’re going into a game where New York has more preparation, New York has more rest and where New York travelled better. And it’s going to take absolutely everything from us to get the result we want.”
This week marks the fourth time this season that the Whitecaps have been forced to play midweek and weekend games on opposite sides of the continent.
“It’s definitely been difficult for us, a lot of Wednesday games, travelling to the East Coast and back to the West. It’s been a grind. But it’s nice now to finally be home,” right back Jake Nerwinski said.
This road swing was made especially difficult after the team’s flight out of Montreal was abruptly cancelled on Thursday.
“I should have asked some of the [NYC] guys to water my plants or something because they were here all week,” Nerwinski said.
Dos Santos wants to see Major League Soccer make adjustments to the schedule that would allow both teams to prepare at an equal level. One possibility, he said, would be to have only teams that both played midweek games meet in weekend contests.
Other news - The Opponent
- 21:00 NYCFC, Sims: "The return of the fans this year has been an incredible boost for our team and for the entire Club"
- 20:19 NYCFC, unveiled the first three games of MLS 2022
- 20:03 Sean Johnson best player in the Hudson River Derby: a reason for pride but also for concern
- 19:23 NYCFC, Ronny Deila under accusation: an immediate change of direction is needed
- 15:55 Ronny Deila: "We have lost three points, we can do better than that"
- 11:18 NYCFC 0-1 Red Bulls: the Blues defeated in the Hudson River Derby
- 00:17 NYCFC, Deila: "We are one, we are a family"
- 14:54 NYCFC, Ronny Deila prepares tactical changes in the Hudson River Derby
- 13:09 NYCFC, two heavy absences for Deila in view of the Hudson River Derby
- 14:32 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Match Highlights
- 13:33 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Taty Castellanos is immediately decisive
- 15:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We need to simplify the way we play"
- 14:00 New York City FC is ready to embrace Taty Castellanos again
- 10:44 NYCFC, two players out against FC Cincinnati
- 23:22 Deila: "“There's a big chance that Heber is back in the squad for the game"
- 22:29 NYCFC, Castellanos unavailable against FC Dallas. Ronny Deila evaluates the alternatives
- 19:00 NYCFC's Injury Report - Heber and Telles Magno out against Toronto FC
- 18:30 Ibeagha: "I will truly miss NYCFC"
- 18:08 OFFICIAL - New York City FC trades Sebastien Ibeagha to Los Angeles FC
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila