New York City Interim Head Coach Nick Cushing says his team deserved more from Sunday’s last-gasp 2-1 defeat at Orlando City.
“I can’t fault their effort and togetherness, the way they’re committing themselves,” he reflected. “The attitude is excellent.
“Away from home, you’re always going to be put under pressure in the last 15. We have to continue to find a way.
“We set out the game to play our normal game, to win the game. We had a tough start, conceding a goal in the first 10 minutes, but the boys responded incredibly well – we started to dominate the ball and create chances.
“Talles [Magno], Thiago, and Gabriel [Pereira] were attacking the spaces and caused problems and then the weather started to affect the last 10, 15, 20 minutes of the half.
“It’s humid and hot and we’ve had a lot of games. It was a defensive game. We knew we’d be put under pressure because Orlando need the points – they want to push above the line and solidify their place [in the playoff positions].
“In the second half, we asked the boys to keep pushing. We knew we’d be able to move the ball and get into areas and attack the spaces – and the goal was a good example of that.
“Then Thiago has another look, which is a really close one, but he doesn’t get on the end of it and Gabriel has one…
“When you’re looking at a roster as short as ours, we made substitutions, and the boys put in an incredible effort. We just couldn’t get over the line. We just lost on the line with the last corner.
“It was only a matter of weeks ago – Montreal and Dallas – that we were defending positive results. We have to get back to those moments.
“When you get injuries and it’s starting to affect the squad, you’ve got to work with what you’ve got. We know this roster is capable of getting points and we should have got a point today.”
Other news - Focus
- 21:00 Dizzying offer for former NYCFC Jack Harrison
- 19:57 Orlando City trembles in front of the black beast of New York City FC
- 18:26 NYCFC vs Orlando City: here is the real danger for New York
- 15:00 We are looking for new collaborators! Work with us!
- 13:00 Messi's last season with PSG? The Argentine does not want the renewal and is thinking of the MLS
- 03:00 Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Man Utd: future in MLS or in Portugal
- 01:30 World Cup Qatar 2022: England in trouble: Southgate can leave
- 00:01 Qatar 2022 World Cup: civilians enlisted to maintain security
- 23:00 The balance of Callens, Chanot and Johnson after the matches with the national teams
- 22:00 NYCFC, the playoffs are to be conquered!
- 21:26 New York City FC loaded and rested towards the match against Orlando City
- 21:16 What a week for New York City FC: The Blues are back in the top 10 of the Power Rankings
- 18:25 Alex Callens is the new leader of New York City FC
- 17:57 NYCFC, Kevin O'Toole surprises all of us: bright future
- 17:30 THE RESURRECTION OF NEW YORK CITY FC
- 16:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "He's amazing, the best central defender in the MLS"
- 14:30 NYCFC, Cushing: "We play well but we also know how to fight"
- 13:00 NYCFC 2-0 RBNY, Cushing: "Total and perfect performance "
- 21:52 HIGHLIGHTS: New York City FC vs. New York Red Bulls 2-0
- 21:40 Alex Callens was named Man Of The Match of The Hudson River Derby
- 21:12 New York City is Blue!
- 18:00 NYCFC vs RBNY 2-0: New York City FC wins the Hudson River Derby
- 17:00 The last Hudson River Derby decided by Castellanos: let's review it together (VIDEO)
- 16:00 Hudson River Derby: Yankee Stadium factor could be decisive
- 15:00 NYCFC, the possible lineup to win Hudson River Derby
- 14:00 Hudson River Derby is never a trivial match
- 13:00 NYCFC vs Red Bulls: two players out and two questionable
- 19:40 NYCFC 2-0 ATLAS FC, Cushing: “This Team Is Special"
- 19:33 New York City FC wins the Campeones Cup
- 21:30 Sean Johnson Selected For The USMNT
- 21:00 NYCFC vs ATLAS FC, Chanot: “We Want To Achieve Great Things"
- 20:51 NYCFC vs ATLAS FC, Cushing: “We Have To Be The Best Version Of Ourselves"
- 14:01 New York City FC will play its season in the Campeones Cup final
- 13:00 New York City FC: the issue is mental, we just have to pray
- 12:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "It's a great advantage for us to have Keaton Parks back"
- 11:16 NYCFC without ideas and soul: a refoundation is needed
- 22:59 CharlotteFC 1-0 NYCFC, Cushing: “We have to continue to grind to get out of this"
- 18:40 Charlotte FC vs. New York City FC, 1-0: one more defeat for the Pigeons
- 13:00 Charlotte FC vs NYCFC, match between two teams looking to redeem themselves
- 12:00 MLS - Toronto FC, familiars problems for Insigne: he will be absent against Atlanta United
- 00:01 NYCFC, Keaton Parks on the road to recovery but will not play against Charlotte FC
- 23:28 NYCFC, Cushing: "Haak is back. We must be careful with Tinnerholm"
- 23:24 NYCFC, five players out against Charlotte
- 22:17 In good times or bad, New York City FC supporters are always there!
- 20:40 New York City FC never gives up
- 19:55 NYCFC, nightmare for Thiago Martins: an own goal that will remain in history (VIDEO)
- 17:06 NYCFC, Cushing: "It's a Step in the Right Direction"
- 18:33 NYCFC, Nick Cushing bets on team anger
- 01:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "We love to play in front of our fans, we need them"
- 00:22 NYCFC, Cushing also recovers Parks: "He did everything to recover first, he's hungry to play"
- 00:18 NYCFC, three players out against FC Cincinnati
- 00:15 MLS Power Rankings - NYCFC is a deeply broken team right now