New York City Interim Head Coach Nick Cushing says his team deserved more from Sunday’s last-gasp 2-1 defeat at Orlando City.
“I can’t fault their effort and togetherness, the way they’re committing themselves,” he reflected. “The attitude is excellent.
“Away from home, you’re always going to be put under pressure in the last 15. We have to continue to find a way.
“We set out the game to play our normal game, to win the game. We had a tough start, conceding a goal in the first 10 minutes, but the boys responded incredibly well – we started to dominate the ball and create chances.
“Talles [Magno], Thiago, and Gabriel [Pereira] were attacking the spaces and caused problems and then the weather started to affect the last 10, 15, 20 minutes of the half.
“It’s humid and hot and we’ve had a lot of games. It was a defensive game. We knew we’d be put under pressure because Orlando need the points – they want to push above the line and solidify their place [in the playoff positions].
“In the second half, we asked the boys to keep pushing. We knew we’d be able to move the ball and get into areas and attack the spaces – and the goal was a good example of that.
“Then Thiago has another look, which is a really close one, but he doesn’t get on the end of it and Gabriel has one…
“When you’re looking at a roster as short as ours, we made substitutions, and the boys put in an incredible effort. We just couldn’t get over the line. We just lost on the line with the last corner.
“It was only a matter of weeks ago – Montreal and Dallas – that we were defending positive results. We have to get back to those moments.
“When you get injuries and it’s starting to affect the squad, you’ve got to work with what you’ve got. We know this roster is capable of getting points and we should have got a point today.”
Other news - Focus
- 16:52 Three Keys of NYCFC 0-0 Red Bulls
- 16:23 NYCFC 0-0 Red Bulls, Cushing: "Incredible atmosphere at Yankee Stadium"
- 01:20 The Knicks can sacrifice Immanuel Quickley for a star
- 00:01 Maxi Moralez: "I can't wait to be reunited with the fans"
- 23:00 Maxi Moralez back to NYCFC: "I couldn’t be more excited"
- 22:03 David Lee: "Maxi will bring leadership and experience to our group"
- 22:00 OFFICIAL - Maxi Moralez Returns to New York City Football Club
- 13:00 David Lee: "We're excited to integrate Fernandez into the team"
- 07:20 NYCFC Signs Argentinian Forward Julián Fernández
- 15:30 Bernardeschi can leave Toronto: there is interest from an Italian club
- 14:30 Los Angeles Galaxy crazy offer to Hriving Lozano
- 13:42 CR7: "Saudi Pro League is much better than the MLS"
- 18:44 NYCFC, failing season. The trend needs to be reversed
- 17:27 Birk Risa: "I'm happy to be here, I can't wait to get started"
- 15:39 OFFICIAL - NYCFC Signs Norwegian Defender Birk Risa
- 13:44 Taty Castellanos moves to Lazio
- 13:40 Inter Miami, Alba también se sumará al proyecto
- 23:36 OFFICIAL - Inter Miami, Gerardo Martino named new coach
- 22:58 Timothy Weah has landed in Turin, he will be a Juventus player
- 22:56 OFFICIAL - Kai Havertz is a new Arsenal player
- 15:30 Bayern Munich on Kane, there is an agreement on the contract but not the one with Tottenham
- 14:30 West Ham reject Arsenal's third offer for Rice. Manchester City are considering withdrawing from the auction
- 13:24 Mbappé at Real, the striker's mother-agent is the key: she will be the one to deal with PSG
- 19:15 OFFICIAL - "Welcome to Finnesota". Center forward Pukki restarts from MLS
- 19:13 OFFICIAL - Mateo Kovacic leaves Chelsea and signs with Man City
- 18:30 AC Milan wants Pulisic. Berhalter advises the US midfielder
- 18:00 West Ham: 100 million not enough for Declan Rice, rejected offers from Arsenal and Man City
- 17:30 Timothy Weah moves to Italy
- 17:00 NYCFC may pursue former Vancouver Whitecaps player
- 16:30 Antoine Griezmann wants to play in MLS and rejects the offer from Saudi Arabia
- 15:59 Keaton Parks: "I'm happy to be able to do goal and assist"
- 15:32 Bayern Munich, formal offer for Harry Kane
- 15:23 Andrea Pirlo returns to Italy, signs with Sampdoria
- 13:28 Manchester City's Champions League win could impact NYCFC's future
- 12:00 James Sands Selected To Represent The USMNT At The 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup
- 08:30 Lionel Messi lands in the MLS: pros and cons
- 23:48 Real Salt Lake vs NYCFC: one player unavailable for Cushing
- 23:46 NYCFC, Cushing: “We’re Desperate For The First Road Win"
- 22:34 MLS statement on Lionel Messi and Inter Miami CF
- 21:54 OFFICIAL - Messi is a new player of Inter Miami FC
- 19:09 Messi's signing with Inter Miami FC
- 12:00 A new player could soon land in MLS
- 10:23 OFFICIAL - Inter Miami have parted ways with head coach Phil Neville