Both sides came into this meeting at Red Bull Arena hoping to make it two wins in a week.
Head Coach Ronny Deila named an unchanged lineup from the one which began Monday night’s 1-0 victory over Columbus Crew SC.
This consistency was rewarded with a fluent start from the Boys in Blue as they began putting pressure on Connor Sparrow’s goal from the first whistle.
With NYCFC aiming to leapfrog Chicago in the standings with a win, Mitriță found Héber with a dangerous through ball on 2’. The Brazilian saw his shot saved and Keaton Parks was unlucky to have his effort on the rebound blocked by a covering defender.
That lively start continued and on 16’, NYCFC scored the opening goal.
Once again, Mitriță was involved, as the Romanian slipped through Parks who took on his shot first time, clipping a shot from the right side of the box across the goalkeeper into the far corner.
That was his second MLS goal for NYCFC and the lead was no less than the home team deserved.
On 29’ there was a strong penalty appeal when Jesus Medina was barged over in the box, but the referee opted not to award a spot kick, despite the Paraguayan’s protestations.
Johnson made a strong save in first half stoppage-time which looked like it would keep his side in front going in at the interval, but Pineda had other ideas, finishing from close range on 47’ after he was left unmarked six yards out off a set piece.
It was a disappointing concession which left it 1-1 at the break, but City were boosted by the return of Maxi Moralez who joined the match as a second half substitute in place of Mitriță.
The introduction of Moralez turned the game decisively in NYCFC’s favor as the Argentine magician took hold of the game, assisting the go-ahead goal on 53’.
Heineken Man of the Match Anton Tinnerholm was the benefactor, drilling home with confidence for his first goal of the season after Maxi found him on the right corner of the box.
2-1 became 3-1 on 75’ when Ring made it two goals at Red Bull Arena inside a week, with a brilliant improvised volley from Tinnerholm’s assist, sending the ball back where it came from to cap in an impressive showing from the Boys in Blue.
Next up, it’s New England on the road on Wednesday night as the Boys in Blue look to make it nine points out of nine.
Other news - Focus
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales
- 22:30 NYCFC in talks to sign Fortuna Dusseldorf midfielder Alfredo Morales
- 21:37 New York City FC, Thiago is coming from Bahia
- 14:00 NYCFC, Sergio Aguero is free: a difficult but not impossible business
- 18:06 New York City FC’s preseason friendly with Nashville SC has been cancelled
- 16:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "We are strong, we are training hard "
- 15:00 NYCFC, Tajouri-Shradi: "This season will be much better than last season"
- 14:00 Ian Paul Joy of YESNetwork assures: "It will be a positive season for NYCFC"
- 21:56 NYCFC announced the full MLS 2021 schedule
- 00:05 NYCFC, the dangers of playing the MLS and the Leagues Cup
- 23:20 Deila: "We can't wait to face the challenge in this year's League Cup"
- 22:48 New York City FC will participate in the 2021 Leagues Cup
- 23:00 Lee: "Gloster is young but he has already great experience"
- 22:15 Gloster: "It's a great honor to be part of NYCFC"
- 21:51 OFFICIAL - NYCFC sign US youth international Chris Gloster from PSV
- 22:28 NYCFC, Deila on transfer market: "We look at different players"
- 18:26 NYCFC, Ronny Deila admits: "We need more quality players"
- 01:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We know how we can improve from the last season"
- 00:05 NYCFC, Brad Sims: "We are optimistic that we'll be able to welcome ourfans back to Yankee Stadium on April 24th"
- 23:10 MLS - CF Montréal named Wilfried Nancy head coach
- 22:00 NYCFC, David Lee: "We are delighted to welcome Gedion back for another season"
- 21:23 New York City FC announced the Club’s preseason roster for the 2021 season
- 21:15 NYCFC, Juan Pablo Torres Loaned Out
- 21:13 NYCFC, Gedion Zelalem re-signed a new contract