Both sides came into this meeting at Red Bull Arena hoping to make it two wins in a week.
Head Coach Ronny Deila named an unchanged lineup from the one which began Monday night’s 1-0 victory over Columbus Crew SC.
This consistency was rewarded with a fluent start from the Boys in Blue as they began putting pressure on Connor Sparrow’s goal from the first whistle.
With NYCFC aiming to leapfrog Chicago in the standings with a win, Mitriță found Héber with a dangerous through ball on 2’. The Brazilian saw his shot saved and Keaton Parks was unlucky to have his effort on the rebound blocked by a covering defender.
That lively start continued and on 16’, NYCFC scored the opening goal.
Once again, Mitriță was involved, as the Romanian slipped through Parks who took on his shot first time, clipping a shot from the right side of the box across the goalkeeper into the far corner.
That was his second MLS goal for NYCFC and the lead was no less than the home team deserved.
On 29’ there was a strong penalty appeal when Jesus Medina was barged over in the box, but the referee opted not to award a spot kick, despite the Paraguayan’s protestations.
Johnson made a strong save in first half stoppage-time which looked like it would keep his side in front going in at the interval, but Pineda had other ideas, finishing from close range on 47’ after he was left unmarked six yards out off a set piece.
It was a disappointing concession which left it 1-1 at the break, but City were boosted by the return of Maxi Moralez who joined the match as a second half substitute in place of Mitriță.
The introduction of Moralez turned the game decisively in NYCFC’s favor as the Argentine magician took hold of the game, assisting the go-ahead goal on 53’.
Heineken Man of the Match Anton Tinnerholm was the benefactor, drilling home with confidence for his first goal of the season after Maxi found him on the right corner of the box.
2-1 became 3-1 on 75’ when Ring made it two goals at Red Bull Arena inside a week, with a brilliant improvised volley from Tinnerholm’s assist, sending the ball back where it came from to cap in an impressive showing from the Boys in Blue.
Next up, it’s New England on the road on Wednesday night as the Boys in Blue look to make it nine points out of nine.
Altre notizie - Focus
- 23:30 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Thórarinsson Preview
- 23:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 22:34 Injury Report - Maxi Moralez and two others are unavailable
- 23:00 Tinnerholm is decisive: he is the leader of New York
- 21:35 Ronny Deila expressed his satisfaction with the victory against FC Cincinnati
- 19:57 NYCFC, a growing concern for injured Maxi Moralez
- 18:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Mackay-Steven Reaction
- 16:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 14:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Ronny Reaction on the injuries of Matarrita and Maxi
- 12:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Highlights
- 10:26 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Match Recap
- 23:00 NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx during COVID-19
- 22:18 NYCFC vs. FC Cincinnati - Ronny Deila Preview
- 08:26 Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan
- 14:00 Seitz makes 4 saves, DC United ties NYCFC 0-0 without a shot
- 12:00 New York City FC little cynical and unlucky
- 10:00 DC United 0, New York City FC 0 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:10 D.C. United 0-0 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 18:00 James Sands at risk of disqualification
- 16:00 New York City FC - Only two absent against DC United
- 14:00 DC UNITED vs NYCFC: PROBABLE STARTING XI
- 23:30 Bruce Arena: NYCFC the best team we've played this year
- 22:39 Messi's arrival at New York City FC is postponed
- 23:30 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Joe Scally's Reaction
- 23:00 NE Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Héber Reaction
- 22:23 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 16:00 Fagundez: "We need to learn from" loss to New York City FC
- 14:00 Turner: "We were physically just dominated all night"
- 12:00 Arena: "On the night we were thoroughly outplayed"
- 10:00 New England Revolution 0, New York City FC 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:21 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 16:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Keaton Parks Preview
- 15:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 13:00 NYCFC, offer to Benfica for Cristian Lema
- 22:30 Tinnerholm: "We don't have to think we are the best"
- 21:19 Ronny Deila relies on Maxi Moralez for the third win in a row of NYCFC
- 18:43 Arena | "We're going to anticipate some changes on Wednesday" vs. NYCFC
- 19:00 New York City FC finds the best Anton Tinnerholm
- 17:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Maxi Moralez Reaction
- 15:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 21:48 Maxi Moralez is back and NYCFC is amazing
- 20:59 Breaking News: Messi's future first in Manchester then in New York
- 18:00 New York veterans make the Blues shine again
- 17:00 New York City FC vs. Chicago Fire FC - MLS Highlights
- 16:00 With Maxi Moralez back, NYCFC play best 45 minutes of season in 3-1 win over Chicago Fire FC
- 14:26 Messi does not show up for the Barça tests. NYCFC and MLS continue to pray
- 08:19 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire - Match Recap
- 21:30 A British reporter puts Messi away from NYCFC
- 21:00 NYCFC vs Chicago Fire: Here's how it went last time
- 20:36 Johnson: "We are always on the front line"