New York City FC traveled to Mercedes-Benz Stadium kicking off their two-game road campaign against Atlanta United.
This Eastern Conference Showdown was the first meeting between the two teams since the 2018 MLS Playoffs which ended in heartache for the Boys in Blue against the eventual champions.
As Dome Torrent was on a mission to earn his first win against Atlanta United, he made four changes to his Starting XI.
Maxi Moralez made his return to the midfield after taking time to rest. He was accompanied by Ebenezer Ofori, Anton Tinnerholm, and Taty Castellanos, who all also came back into the lineup.
Castellanos earned his way into the striker role after putting on an explosive performance against the Houston Dynamo, with his sixth and seventh goals of the season making for an exciting finale in the BX.
As City took to Mercedes-Benz Stadium, one of the toughest stadiums to play in the MLS, they looked to put their best foot forward to draw another positive result on the road after slipping to defeat at RSL.
Atlanta United kicked off the match dominating on their home turf. They maintained possession and created back-to-back attempts early in the game for the 2018 MLS MVP Josef Martinez, but he was denied on multiple occasions by an in-form Sean Johnson.
However, the East’s top-scorer would not be denied.
Pity Martinez took a free-kick short to Julian Gressel, who found the cross for Josef Martinez to head past Sean Johnson. Atlanta were on the board for the opening goal of the night in the 43rd minute, putting the home team up 1-0 before halftime.
In the second half, City came out of the locker room looking to find the equalizer and the road team eventually started to create opportunities, with Castellanos nearly putting his side on the board after a nice run in from the goalline.
Shortly after, captain Alex Ring and Moralez connected meaningfully outside of Atlanta’s box, putting Brad Guzan on his toes, but unfortunately, City’s attempt was shot too far to the right.
Although they weren’t able to capitalize on the play, they were beginning to ask serious questions of the home side but De Boer’s side reversed the trend and doubled their lead on 63’.
The referee awarded the defending champions a penalty kick after a foul by Sands on Pity Martinez and his namesake Josef stepped up and beat Johnson from 12 yards.
As City was down by two, Torrent put Héber into the match in 66th minute in search of their first goal of the night.
Fifteen minutes later, Héber found it, scoring his tenth goal of the season, putting NYCFC back within striking distance after a nice assist from Castellanos.
As the clock ran down, City played to the final whistle in search for the equalizer but Atlanta held firm to take it 2-1.
Altre notizie - Focus
- 14:00 MLS Players Association Approves Restart Plan
- 13:00 Plan set for MLS return to full team training with testing ahead of season restart
- 21:24 Sean Johnson on Hudson River Derby, players he most wants to beat
- 18:53 New York Governor Cuomo: "Encourage major sports to plan for reopening"
- 22:00 Why Jack Harrison saw NYCFC as his best bet to get back home to England
- 21:48 David Villa's MVP talent, everyman work ethic put NYCFC on the map
- 21:48 FC Cincinnati had contact with Dome Torrent for head coach, but no interview
- 15:00 Ronny Deila watching every 2019 match, learning Spanish during break
- 14:00 Ronald Matarrita: Costa Rica is the best team in Concacaf
- 19:00 NYCFC donates 100,000 meals to NY Common Pantry in coronavirus relief effort
- 18:27 NYCFC, An Update from Brad Sims
- 20:00 NYCFC helping with coronavirus impact close to home
- 19:39 NYCFC Meets with Ian Joy Powered by Cisco Webex | Ronny Deila
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York