Ronny Deila made one change to the XI which began the 2-0 win in New England, bringing in Jesus Medina for Gary Mackay-Steven on the right wing, meaning Alex Ring kept his place on the left flank and Maxi Moralez was once again fit enough to start.
Héber led the line on his return to the stadium where he opened his NYCFC account in one of two road wins in the nation’s capital last term.
Chasing a fourth-successive victory against a D.C. team with one win in their last seven, City enjoyed 80% of possession in the opening 15’ as the hosts hunkered deep and put up a defensive gameplan.
It wasn’t easy to find a way through with two low blocks of five defenders and four midfielders making the final third of the pitch densely populated – however, NYCFC were able to fashion two clear chances inside one first half minute.
On 25’, Keaton Parks will have been disappointed not to finish off Ronald Matarrita’s cross on the volley with a lot of the goal to aim at, while on 26’ it was Medina who saw his sliding finish roll the wrong side of the post.
The D.C. goal was starting to look under increasing threat and the home side were a little fortunate to see a VAR call go their way on the stroke of halftime after former Blue Frederic Brillant appeared to handle in the box.
Somehow it remained goalless at the break, though NYC could at least look back on another half of dominant play from in-form NYCFC.
That pattern continued in the second period as Alex Ring forced Chris Seitz into a strong save with a shot on the turn on 49’ and on 58’ Héber saw a header cleared off the line by Brillant – still the goal wouldn’t come.
Gary Mackay-Steven and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi were introduced on 69’ and Taty Castellanos came in on 74’ as Deila looked for the combinations to try and find the breakthrough goal NYCFC’s play had warranted.
On 88’, Mackay-Steven did finally beat Seitz and had the ball in the back of the net, but Ted Unkel brought the play back for an alleged handball by Castellanos.
That was the final chance of the night, meaning the match somehow ended goalless.
Altre notizie - Focus
- 23:00 Tinnerholm is decisive: he is the leader of New York
- 21:35 Ronny Deila expressed his satisfaction with the victory against FC Cincinnati
- 19:57 NYCFC, a growing concern for injured Maxi Moralez
- 18:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Mackay-Steven Reaction
- 16:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 14:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Ronny Reaction on the injuries of Matarrita and Maxi
- 12:00 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Highlights
- 10:26 NYCFC 2-1 FC Cincinnati - Match Recap
- 23:00 NYCFC Announces Latest Support for South Bronx during COVID-19
- 22:18 NYCFC vs. FC Cincinnati - Ronny Deila Preview
- 08:26 Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan
- 14:00 Seitz makes 4 saves, DC United ties NYCFC 0-0 without a shot
- 12:00 New York City FC little cynical and unlucky
- 10:00 DC United 0, New York City FC 0 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:10 D.C. United 0-0 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 18:00 James Sands at risk of disqualification
- 16:00 New York City FC - Only two absent against DC United
- 14:00 DC UNITED vs NYCFC: PROBABLE STARTING XI
- 23:30 Bruce Arena: NYCFC the best team we've played this year
- 22:39 Messi's arrival at New York City FC is postponed
- 23:30 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Joe Scally's Reaction
- 23:00 NE Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Héber Reaction
- 22:23 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 16:00 Fagundez: "We need to learn from" loss to New York City FC
- 14:00 Turner: "We were physically just dominated all night"
- 12:00 Arena: "On the night we were thoroughly outplayed"
- 10:00 New England Revolution 0, New York City FC 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 08:21 New England Revolution 0-2 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 16:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Keaton Parks Preview
- 15:00 New England Revolution vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 13:00 NYCFC, offer to Benfica for Cristian Lema
- 22:30 Tinnerholm: "We don't have to think we are the best"
- 21:19 Ronny Deila relies on Maxi Moralez for the third win in a row of NYCFC
- 18:43 Arena | "We're going to anticipate some changes on Wednesday" vs. NYCFC
- 19:00 New York City FC finds the best Anton Tinnerholm
- 17:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Maxi Moralez Reaction
- 15:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire FC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 21:48 Maxi Moralez is back and NYCFC is amazing
- 20:59 Breaking News: Messi's future first in Manchester then in New York
- 18:00 New York veterans make the Blues shine again
- 17:00 New York City FC vs. Chicago Fire FC - MLS Highlights
- 16:00 With Maxi Moralez back, NYCFC play best 45 minutes of season in 3-1 win over Chicago Fire FC
- 14:26 Messi does not show up for the Barça tests. NYCFC and MLS continue to pray
- 08:19 NYCFC 3-1 Chicago Fire - Match Recap
- 21:30 A British reporter puts Messi away from NYCFC
- 21:00 NYCFC vs Chicago Fire: Here's how it went last time
- 20:36 Johnson: "We are always on the front line"
- 15:00 Lionel Messi expected to break silence amid NYCFC rumors
- 13:00 Tajouri-Shradi and Maxi Moralez have recovered from their injuries
- 19:02 MLS Report: Lionel Messi move to NYCFC part of Manchester City contract offer
- 16:15 Sundas: “Messi wants join NYCFC”
- 15:17 Leo Messi can finish his career at NYCFC