Head Coach Ronny Deila faced the media via virtual press conference on Thursday to discuss how NYCFC is preparing for their MLS is Back Tournament quarterfinal against the Portland Timbers on Saturday. “We are preparing good, we had two days that we’ve rested and restituted, and two exercises yesterday… we have Gedion and Isi out, but all the others are good and ready for the game” Deila said.
When asked about moving to the quarterfinals after their win against Toronto FC, and their hopes of moving to the last four of the tournament, Delia told the media: “We have to be stars, not fireflies, fireflies last for a day and stars last forever. You have to do the same things over and over again - then you’re going to be a top team.”
With questions on the condition of Maxi Moralez, following the news that Gedion Zelalem and Ismael “Isi” Tajouri-Shradi are out on injuries, Delia stated, “If Maxi is on the bench ready, he’s in the game, and I think he’ll be that. He’s a very important player for us, but nobody is good enough when they’re ninety percent, so we need to get Maxi at one hundred. He was one hundred percent when he came on and it made a big difference, and we want him for 90 minutes...” adding “It’s not about his fitness - his fitness is really good, but it’s about getting his injury right. That’s the problem he has, there’s some stiffness in his calf that’s coming and going a little bit, and that we have to sort out.”
Discussing the performance of Valentín “Taty” Castellanos, the media was curious to know what changes have been made to improve Taty and the team’s play overall, “We started to score on goal chances is one… we have been training hard for many months… and it’s about the team,” Deila reflected, “That everybody does their task and gets more familiar and safer in their roles and to understand what’s expected in the different roles, and of course, that we have good football players.
“Taty is a good presser, but the difference between what he did now, and what he did 3-4 games ago is he started to do his job. So, the discipline and conversation were really good, and the team's effort and desire were fantastic in the game. Of course, when you get more confidence as well you see lighter heads and quicker feet. There’s a lot of small things that are coming to our performance like that.”
With his vision focused on the upcoming match, Delia told reporters, “I see behind the results and I see good performances on the way as well, but we haven’t been effective enough. We need to improve things all the time and I think we have been improving. Everything is not perfect now either, we need to keep working, getting better. It’s easier to work when you’re winning of course, and we want to keep doing that in the next period.”
Altre notizie - Focus
- 22:15 Sean Johnson: "Thanks to all the supporters who stuck with us through this challenging year"
- 21:51 New York City FC, Tinnerholm expressed his feelings
- 23:47 New York City FC, need to grow mentally and be more concrete
- 23:38 NYCFC, former intern describes sexual harassment allegations against David Villa
- 18:00 Tinnerholm: "It is brutal to lose this way"
- 17:00 Parks: "We deserved the victory"
- 16:00 Ronny Deila: "I'm devasteted"
- 15:30 New York City FC defeated: team without personality
- 15:00 NEW POLL - Orlando City 6 - 5 New York City FC: is it the worst defeat in the history of the Blues?
- 14:00 Orlando City (6) 1-1 (5) NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 00:01 What happened in the Orlando City vs. NYCFC penalty shootout? Here are the official explanations from PRO
- 23:33 Match Recap | Orlando City 1-1 NYCFC
- 22:30 Orlando 6 - 5 NYCFC: Orlando advanced New York returns home
- 16:32 Orlando City - NYCFC 1-1: PENALTIES LIVE ON (6-5) NOW IT'S OVER
- 16:00 Deila: "Orlando is a good team but..."
- 15:18 NYCFC, three players out against Orlando City
- 19:30 Deila: “We are ready for what’s coming"
- 18:30 Tinnerholm: "The season starts for real on Saturday for us"
- 17:30 Orlando City SC vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview - VIDEO
- 23:30 The First Interview of Andres Jasson As Professional Player Of NYCFC - VIDEO
- 23:00 Orlando City SC vs. NYCFC - Taty Castellanos Preview - VIDEO
- 22:30 Andres Jasson: "I'm excited to join NYCFC"
- 22:05 New York City FC Signs Andres Jasson to Homegrown Contract
- 23:25 Ex-NYCFC Domenec Torrent sacked at Flamengo
- 23:22 Chicago Fire 3-4 NYCFC - Mackay-Steven Reaction
- 14:00 Chicago Fire 3-4 NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction - VIDEO
- 23:37 Chicago Fire FC 3, New York City FC 4 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
- 20:43 Chicago Fire vs NYCFC 3-4: Match ends, great win for the Blues
- 18:47 NYCFC vs Chicago Fire: Blues without 4 players
- 21:00 Brazilian club Gremio make offer for NYCFC's Jesus Medina
- 20:34 Chicago Fire FC vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 23:15 NYCFC, a performance of strength and personality
- 18:00 NYCFC 5-2 Red Bulls - Taty Castellanos Reaction - VIDEO
- 17:00 NYCFC 5-2 Red Bulls - Mackay-Steven Reaction - VIDEO
- 16:00 NYCFC 5-2 Red Bulls - Ronny Deila Reaction - VIDEO
- 15:00 Castellanos’ Majestic Performance Lifts NYCFC Over Red Bulls
- 14:00 NYCFC 5-2 Red Bulls - Match Recap
- 09:03 HIGHLIGHTS | NYCFC vs. Red Bulls 5-2 - VIDEO
- 08:51 New York is Blue!
- 23:10 Deila: "We want to finish in the top four and show that we are the best in NY"
- 23:01 NYCFC vs Red Bulls: five Blues players unavailable
- 23:30 Toronto FC 0-1 NYCFC - Tinnerholm Reaction
- 23:15 Toronto FC 0-1 NYCFC - Chanot Reaction
- 23:09 Toronto FC 0-1 NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 14:00 HIGHLIGHTS: Toronto FC vs. New York City FC - VIDEO
- 08:56 Toronto FC 0-1 NYCFC - Match Recap
- 00:04 Toronto FC vs NYCFC: Starting XI
- 23:00 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Jesus Medina Preview - VIDEO
- 22:06 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview - VIDEO
- 21:24 New York City FC, many players unavailable against Toronto FC
- 20:58 Tony Rocha symbol of a team made up of an amazing group
- 21:33 Maxi Moralez inserted into the MLS team of the week
- 17:14 Maxi Moralez the key of the las win of NYCFC