New York City FC will face Costa Rican club AD San Carlos across two legs in the Round of 16 of the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League following a draw conducted by the federation earlier tonight in Mexico City.
NYCFC qualified for the tournament for the first time in Club history after finishing the regular season on top of the Eastern Conference in 2019. NYCFC will open against AD San Carlos in Quesada, Costa Rica with the second leg in New York the following week.
Dates and times for the matches will be released in the coming days.
AD San Carlos qualified for the competition as the best-ranked quarterfinalist in the 2019 Concacaf League. They won the Costa Rican Primera Division Clausura title for the first time in the 2018-2019 season.
Like NYCFC, it will be AD San Carlos’ first appearance in the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League.
NYCFC will look to become the first American team to win the competition since the format changed in 2008.
NYCFC Sporting Director David Lee said: “Qualifying for the Concacaf Champions League for the first time in Club history is an incredible milestone for New York City FC. The competition is an excellent opportunity to face the best teams from across our region and will provide us with invaluable experience in an international competition.
“We look forward to opening our 2020 season against AD San Carlos who we know will be a difficult opponent. Costa Rica is one of best countries in our region so we know they’re going to have quality players and it’s going to be a tough game.
“The tournament is also another opportunity for our fans to see a football competition outside of Major League Soccer. Everyone at the Club knows our supporters will provide us with a tremendous advantage in the home leg.”
If NYCFC advance to the Quarterfinals, they will face the winner of the Tigres UANL (Mexico) and Alianza FC (El Salvador) Round of 16 matchup. The full 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League draw is featured below.
Atlanta United FC (United States) vs FC Motagua (Honduras)
Club America (Mexico) vs Comunicaciones FC (Guatemala)
Cruz Azul (Mexico) vs Portmore United FC (Jamaica)
Los Angeles FC (United States) vs Club Leon (Mexico)
Tigres UANL (Mexico) vs Alianza FC (El Salvador)
New York City FC (United States) vs AD San Carlos (Costa Rica)
Seattle Sounders FC (United States) vs CD Olimpia (Honduras)
Montreal Impact (Canada) vs Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica)
Altre notizie - Focus
- 16:00 NYCFC, a mountain to climb
- 15:00 Alexander Ring, 100 in NYCFC
- 14:00 New York City FC, Qualification Hopes
- 13:00 Finally good news for NYCFC: Maxi Moralez can return against Inter Miami
- 16:00 VIDEO - The perfect Half-Volley of Jesus Medina
- 15:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 14:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Medina Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City, Sean Johnson Reaction
- 08:00 Match Recap - NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City
- 15:00 Tinnerholm: The next game will be crucial for us
- 14:00 New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK
- 15:00 NYCFC, Luckless Concession
- 14:00 New York City FC, A Narrow Loss
- 13:00 New York City FC: All Change
- 01:00 Tinnerholm: Its frustrating to not score the goals
- 00:16 NYCFC face "must-win" game against Orlando City SC after loss to Philadelphia Union
- 13:00 Ibeagha and Rocha are questionable for the game against Philadelphia
- 12:00 NYCFC stadium search slowed by COVID-19: "It just wasn’t anyone’s top priority"
- 22:10 Full Team Training | Gary Mackay-Steven
- 21:59 Sean Johnson on NYCFC's MLS is Back Tournament group draw: We're not looking for excuses
- 15:00 Keaton Parks: "We're excited to get back and play again"
- 14:00 Deila Reaction to Group Stage Draw
- 22:46 Ronny Deila: It will be hard for NYCFC to keep James Sands from European offers
- 14:00 MLS is Back - The thoughts of Ronny Deila
- 07:56 MLS is Back Tournament - Maxi Moralez shares his thoughts
- 22:30 MLS is Back!
- 15:00 NYCFC is working on the second start of the MLS
- 14:00 The meteors passed in New York: Eloi Amagat
- 14:00 MLS Players Association Approves Restart Plan
- 13:00 Plan set for MLS return to full team training with testing ahead of season restart
- 21:24 Sean Johnson on Hudson River Derby, players he most wants to beat
- 18:53 New York Governor Cuomo: "Encourage major sports to plan for reopening"
- 22:00 Why Jack Harrison saw NYCFC as his best bet to get back home to England
- 21:48 David Villa's MVP talent, everyman work ethic put NYCFC on the map