Part of the ice-breaking process for players joining new clubs often includes some sort of singing contest or talent show during preseason. The laughs help assimilate players into their new locker room through the intimate language of embarrassment.
Gudi Thorainsson, one of NYCFC's offseason recruits, is no stranger to this. And, unlike the musically-challenged players across the globe, he loves it. It doesn't hurt that he's a renowned singer in his spare time.
In fact, he enjoys flipping the tables on his new teammates.
“I just keep my mouth shut, I don’t say anything," Thorarinsson told MLSsoccer.com. "People expect me to be terrible and feel awkward. But I enjoy it because it’s awkward for them, not for me. So it’s like hey, in your face.”
This was no different when he joined NYCFC, though Anton Tinnerholm knew of his musical prowess from talking to former teammates in Sweden, one of the now five countries Thorarinsson has played.
“Only Anton knew I could sing, but he only told a few people, the rest were quite shocked," Thorarinsson said. "It was very funny.”
Thorarinsson, who wrote an inspirational song during the COVID-19 pandemic, will be a special guest on Thursday night's edition of MLS Idle. Given his history with music, it would have been unfair for him to compete.
He has been around music his whole life and it didn't take long to realize how good he was.
"I kind of found out quite early that I could hit the right tune," Thorarinsson said. "I started singing early, but I was focused on football.”
That focus started at the age of 12. He pursued becoming a professional over all else, including music. As he was going through his teenage years, one of his best friends was desperate for Thorarinsson to sing in his band. After much convincing, he finally acquiesced.
The young band, called Syrkus, was successful. Then 15 years old, they scored some fun gigs, including pubs and parties.
“It went really well even though we were so young," Thorarinsson said. "We were playing some gigs where our mothers had to approve we were allowed to go into some of these places, like at bars or parties where we were not old enough to be. It was really funny, you’re playing a show at a university or something and your mom has to sign a paper giving you permission.”
In recent years, Thorarinsson dove deeper into his love of singing, doing more in his spare time. He realizes he won't be a professional soccer player forever.
“It’s always been a part of me that I neglected in a sense, focusing on football, but now I’m realizing I want to experience music more in the future," Thorarinsson said. "Football obviously doesn’t last your whole life on a top level, so this is something I’d like to build up before the end of my career.”
Altre notizie - Focus
- 18:22 Ineffective attack and soft defense: a lot of work for Ronny Deila to do
- 15:04 Mackay-Stevens: It's disappointing to lose in this way
- 08:46 Ronny Deila: We have improved, too bad we were eliminated
- 08:39 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers 1-3: Blues eliminated
- 23:30 New York City FC vs Portland Timbers: the probable Starting XI
- 23:00 NYCF vs Portland Timbers - Watch The Show!
- 22:30 Deila: "Maxi has a calf pain that we have to verify"
- 22:00 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 21:40 NYCFC vs Portland Timbers: Tajouri-Shradi and Gedion Zelalem unavailable
- 22:35 Former New York City FC Domenec Torrent will coach the Flamengo team
- 08:05 New York City FC Face Portland Timbers in MLS is Back Quarterfinals
- 14:00 Match Recap | Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC
- 13:00 It's finally Ronny Deila's New York City FC!
- 10:00 Toronto FC 1-3 NYCFC - Press Conference Of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 WATCH: NYCFC 3 -TORONTO FC 1: the highlights
- 08:10 NYCFC vs TORONTO FC, Deila: The Boys Really Wanted To Win
- 08:09 NYCFC pass huge Toronto FC hurdle as Maxi Moralez shows his class
- 23:40 New York City in full force: there are no injured players
- 23:23 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 23:22 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Mackay-Steven Preview
- 23:16 NYCFC, emotion, luck and discipline to win
- 23:13 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Tinnerholm Preview
- 14:00 Tinnerholm on the team spirit: We Had a Great Speech And...
- 13:00 Toronto, Bradley launches challenge to NYCFC: "We Know Them Well"
- 12:03 Tinnerholm: We want revenge on Toronto
- 22:00 NYCFC picks up fits win, eliminates Inter Miami from tournament
- 21:00 Inter Miami 0-1 NYCFC - Tajouri-Shradi & Parks Reaction
- 20:56 Inter Miami CF 0, New York City FC 1 | MLS is Back Tournament Match Recap
- 11:00 New York City FC looking to put early-season doldrums behind them against Inter Miami CF
- 10:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 09:00 Inter Miami vs. NYCFC - Ring Preview
- 08:07 Injury Report | Maxi Rated as Doubtful for Miami
- 14:00 Maxi Moralez hopes to recover against Inter Miami
- 13:00 NYCFC, first game ever against the Inter Miami of Bean Sweat
- 00:01 NYCFC, a game that is worth the whole season
- 23:45 NYCFC, there is hope that Maxi could recover
- 23:27 Former New York City FC standout Jack Harrison, Leeds United earn promotion to English Premier League
- 16:00 NYCFC, a mountain to climb
- 15:00 Alexander Ring, 100 in NYCFC
- 14:00 New York City FC, Qualification Hopes
- 13:00 Finally good news for NYCFC: Maxi Moralez can return against Inter Miami
- 16:00 VIDEO - The perfect Half-Volley of Jesus Medina
- 15:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Press Conference of Ronny Deila
- 14:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City - Medina Reaction
- 13:00 NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City, Sean Johnson Reaction
- 08:00 Match Recap - NYCFC 1-3 Orlando City
- 15:00 Tinnerholm: The next game will be crucial for us
- 14:00 New York City FC Academy Director Liam Manning to Become Head Coach of Lommel SK
- 15:00 NYCFC, Luckless Concession
- 14:00 New York City FC, A Narrow Loss
- 13:00 New York City FC: All Change
- 01:00 Tinnerholm: Its frustrating to not score the goals
- 00:16 NYCFC face "must-win" game against Orlando City SC after loss to Philadelphia Union