When New York City FC resume their Concacaf Champions League campaign in the quarterfinals against Liga MX side Tigres UANL on Tuesday, they'll do so without starting goalkeeper Sean Johnson.
The Cityzens reported three positive COVID-19 results ahead of Tuesday's match, which caused them to adjust their travel plans before heading to Orlando, where the match is being played at a neutral site, and thinned their depth as they continue the tournament. Johnson wasn't among the positive tests, but was deemed a close contact to one of the players who was, rendering him ineligible for the match.
That means backup Luis Barraza is set to get the nod, while NYCFC also announced on Monday that they've acquired Mason Stajduhar on loan from Orlando City SC for the remainder of the season to shore up their depth at the position. Speaking with reporters on a Monday video call, head coach Ronny Deila said that he's confident that Barraza is up to the task amid the challenging circumstances.
"Sean has been a close contact, so he's not available for the game tomorrow. But Luis is ready, so he's going to play," Deila said.
"Luis has been fighting for now two years to be close to the team and I'm very happy now that he gets a chance. He's talented, young, he's been working really hard and now the time has come and we're looking forward to the game to see how Luis is going to do. I'm very confident he will have a good game."
Altre notizie - News
- 21:40 New York City FC, Taty Castellnos linekd to Palmeiras
- 21:25 RUMORS: Edin Dzeko will not leave AS Roma
- 19:54 New York City FC, Dzeko linked to Blues: here the truth
- 23:33 New York City FC selected Di Rosa and Latinovich
- 16:00 Former NYCFC Mix Diskerud joins the Denizlispor
- 15:00 New York City FC, Franco Cervi refuses transfer to the Blues
- 14:18 Injury to Sean Johnson forced to leave the USMNT training camp
- 23:14 New York City FC dismantled: it will be a tough season
- 22:57 City Football Group adds Bolivia's Club Bolivar as partner club
- 21:54 After Gomez even Ribery has been linked to NYCFC
- 16:31 NYCFC's Joe Scally makes move to Borussia Monchengladbach
- 22:02 Messi to MLS: bought a family apartment in Miami
- 20:00 Almeyda: "MLS wolud be the right league for Messi"
- 19:00 Papu Gomez linked to New York City FC
- 18:25 NYCFC, 2020 is a year of bitterness for fans
- 18:30 New York City FC, team weakened on the pitch and in the locker room
- 18:00 NYCFC's Alexandru Mitrita scores again in loan stint with Saudi Arabia's Al-Ahli
- 17:01 Austin FC sign former NYCFC goalkeeper Brad Stuver
- 22:48 Messi: "I always had the illusion of living in the US"
- 15:00 David Beckham tries to convince Messi to play for Inter Miami
- 14:00 New York City FC option for the future of Leo Messi
- 23:30 Keaton Parks Named NYCFC’s Young Player of the Year for 2020
- 23:00 Sean Johnson Named NYCFC’s Defensive Player of the Year for 2020
- 23:42 Austin FC, Reyna: "Ring will be a great addition to our club"
- 23:32 New York City FC, the Ring trade is a non sense choice
- 21:15 Sean Johnson out for Concacaf Champions League match against Tigres
- 21:07 Tigres UANL vs. NYCFC - Taty Castellanos Preview
- 21:05 Tigres UANL vs. NYCFC - Ronny Deila Preview
- 22:13 Orlando City Goalkeeper Mason Stajduhar Loaned to NYCFC
- 22:12 New York City FC Announces Travel Plans for the Resumption of 2020 Concacaf Champions League
- 23:00 Stuver's emotional message after leaving NYCFC
- 22:39 NYCFC, Surgery for Alex Ring
- 17:36 NYCFC, exercise options for 5 players. Brad Stuver leaves NY
- 22:15 Sean Johnson: "Thanks to all the supporters who stuck with us through this challenging year"
- 21:51 New York City FC, Tinnerholm expressed his feelings
- 23:47 New York City FC, need to grow mentally and be more concrete
- 23:38 NYCFC, former intern describes sexual harassment allegations against David Villa
- 18:00 Tinnerholm: "It is brutal to lose this way"
- 17:00 Parks: "We deserved the victory"
- 16:00 Ronny Deila: "I'm devasteted"
- 15:30 New York City FC defeated: team without personality
- 15:00 NEW POLL - Orlando City 6 - 5 New York City FC: is it the worst defeat in the history of the Blues?
- 14:00 Orlando City (6) 1-1 (5) NYCFC - Ronny Deila Reaction
- 00:01 What happened in the Orlando City vs. NYCFC penalty shootout? Here are the official explanations from PRO