Before the MLS season was suspended, NYCFC head coach Ronny Deila hadn't had a break in 13 years.
Deila took his first coaching job immediately after his playing career ended and has been full-go ever since, with his stint at Celtic sandwiched in between stops in his native Norway at Stromgodset and Valerenga before he was brought into NYCFC ahead of the 2020 season.
While he would obviously rather be coaching a season, Deila said he's trying to use the respite from the game positively, telling Bleacher Report's Dean Jones in a story published on Thursday that the time off has allowed him to reset himself, as well as dive into film study that he normally wouldn't be able to get into as deeply.
"This time has been quite beneficial," Delia said. "I have had time to look at things that I never normally would. For example, I have seen almost the whole of last season — I'm on Game 27! That has been very interesting. I have been able to look at the team's weaknesses and strengths, and of course I also get to see the different opposition, which has been very useful. It is very rare you would get that chance.
"In the beginning, it was frustrating, but after that you think, how will I solve this challenge? Reflection has been good for me after coaching for 13 years non-stop."
Deila also said he's been using the time off to learn Spanish with the help of his girlfriend, who is from Colombia, something he says will help him when he gets back to coaching NYCFC, which has many Spanish-speakers on the roster.
"I have also been using this time to learn Spanish," he said. "I have a Colombian girlfriend and a three-year-old daughter, who also speaks Spanish, so it's important I get better. I'm not close to being fluent, but that's a goal in the future. I think it will also help me in football."
Altre notizie - News
- 14:00 MLS Players Association Approves Restart Plan
- 13:00 Plan set for MLS return to full team training with testing ahead of season restart
- 21:24 Sean Johnson on Hudson River Derby, players he most wants to beat
- 18:53 New York Governor Cuomo: "Encourage major sports to plan for reopening"
- 22:00 Why Jack Harrison saw NYCFC as his best bet to get back home to England
- 21:48 David Villa's MVP talent, everyman work ethic put NYCFC on the map
- 21:48 FC Cincinnati had contact with Dome Torrent for head coach, but no interview
- 15:00 Ronny Deila watching every 2019 match, learning Spanish during break
- 14:00 Ronald Matarrita: Costa Rica is the best team in Concacaf
- 19:00 NYCFC donates 100,000 meals to NY Common Pantry in coronavirus relief effort
- 18:27 NYCFC, An Update from Brad Sims
- 20:00 NYCFC helping with coronavirus impact close to home
- 19:39 NYCFC Meets with Ian Joy Powered by Cisco Webex | Ronny Deila
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York