Ronny Deila made a couple of changes on the wings from the 3-1 win over Chicago last time out, bringing in Gary Mackay-Steven and Maxi Moralez for Jesus Medina and Alexandru Mitrița.
Looking to make it three wins from three ahead of Sunday’s trip to the nation’s capital, NYCFC made a spirited start to the match, putting their hosts under pressure throughout the first 45’ on a foggy Foxborough night.
Although the visitors were unable to regularly test Matt Turner in the New England goal in the first 45’, Deila’s side did manage to create dangerous openings on numerous occasions, but the first chance of the night came from a set-piece on 14’ when Maxime Chanot’s header was well saved.
Former Blue Tommy McNamara was a lively presence for New England, but NYCFC continued to edge the midfield battle and were unlucky not to take the lead when Mackay-Steven played Héber through on 35’.
The Brazilian’s movement was excellent as he found himself through on goal in behind the defense, but Turner raced out well to narrow the angle and blocked the shot to keep the two teams level going in at the break.
It didn’t stay that way for long. Despite New England’s change in shape and two substitutions at the interval, NYCFC deservedly took the lead on 59’ when more brilliant work from Anton Tinnerholm and a clever run from Héber forced an own goal and put City up one.
Sean Johnson got in on the action with a rare save on 70’ and it was a big one, a sprawling flying stop from Bou off a long range rip which looked destined for the top corner.
The importance of the save was underlined just a couple of minutes later when Héber scored his first MLS goal of 2020 with an emphatic header off a Ronald Matarrita corner to make it 2-0.
It was no less than City warranted off a dominant display and it could have got even better on 79’ when only another great save by Turner prevented Keaton Parks from heading in a third.
Joe Scally came in for his MLS debut late on to provide another highlight at the end of another very pleasing night’s work.
Other news - Focus
- 22:43 NYCFC, set pieces are the extra weapon against Orlando City
- 21:00 Dizzying offer for former NYCFC Jack Harrison
- 19:57 Orlando City trembles in front of the black beast of New York City FC
- 18:26 NYCFC vs Orlando City: here is the real danger for New York
- 15:00 We are looking for new collaborators! Work with us!
- 13:00 Messi's last season with PSG? The Argentine does not want the renewal and is thinking of the MLS
- 03:00 Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Man Utd: future in MLS or in Portugal
- 01:30 World Cup Qatar 2022: England in trouble: Southgate can leave
- 00:01 Qatar 2022 World Cup: civilians enlisted to maintain security
- 23:00 The balance of Callens, Chanot and Johnson after the matches with the national teams
- 22:00 NYCFC, the playoffs are to be conquered!
- 21:26 New York City FC loaded and rested towards the match against Orlando City
- 21:16 What a week for New York City FC: The Blues are back in the top 10 of the Power Rankings
- 18:25 Alex Callens is the new leader of New York City FC
- 17:57 NYCFC, Kevin O'Toole surprises all of us: bright future
- 17:30 THE RESURRECTION OF NEW YORK CITY FC
- 16:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "He's amazing, the best central defender in the MLS"
- 14:30 NYCFC, Cushing: "We play well but we also know how to fight"
- 13:00 NYCFC 2-0 RBNY, Cushing: "Total and perfect performance "
- 21:52 HIGHLIGHTS: New York City FC vs. New York Red Bulls 2-0
- 21:40 Alex Callens was named Man Of The Match of The Hudson River Derby
- 21:12 New York City is Blue!
- 18:00 NYCFC vs RBNY 2-0: New York City FC wins the Hudson River Derby
- 17:00 The last Hudson River Derby decided by Castellanos: let's review it together (VIDEO)
- 16:00 Hudson River Derby: Yankee Stadium factor could be decisive
- 15:00 NYCFC, the possible lineup to win Hudson River Derby
- 14:00 Hudson River Derby is never a trivial match
- 13:00 NYCFC vs Red Bulls: two players out and two questionable
- 19:40 NYCFC 2-0 ATLAS FC, Cushing: “This Team Is Special"
- 19:33 New York City FC wins the Campeones Cup
- 21:30 Sean Johnson Selected For The USMNT
- 21:00 NYCFC vs ATLAS FC, Chanot: “We Want To Achieve Great Things"
- 20:51 NYCFC vs ATLAS FC, Cushing: “We Have To Be The Best Version Of Ourselves"
- 14:01 New York City FC will play its season in the Campeones Cup final
- 13:00 New York City FC: the issue is mental, we just have to pray
- 12:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "It's a great advantage for us to have Keaton Parks back"
- 11:16 NYCFC without ideas and soul: a refoundation is needed
- 22:59 CharlotteFC 1-0 NYCFC, Cushing: “We have to continue to grind to get out of this"
- 18:40 Charlotte FC vs. New York City FC, 1-0: one more defeat for the Pigeons
- 13:00 Charlotte FC vs NYCFC, match between two teams looking to redeem themselves
- 12:00 MLS - Toronto FC, familiars problems for Insigne: he will be absent against Atlanta United
- 00:01 NYCFC, Keaton Parks on the road to recovery but will not play against Charlotte FC
- 23:28 NYCFC, Cushing: "Haak is back. We must be careful with Tinnerholm"
- 23:24 NYCFC, five players out against Charlotte
- 22:17 In good times or bad, New York City FC supporters are always there!
- 20:40 New York City FC never gives up
- 19:55 NYCFC, nightmare for Thiago Martins: an own goal that will remain in history (VIDEO)
- 17:06 NYCFC, Cushing: "It's a Step in the Right Direction"
- 18:33 NYCFC, Nick Cushing bets on team anger
- 01:00 NYCFC, Cushing: "We love to play in front of our fans, we need them"
- 00:22 NYCFC, Cushing also recovers Parks: "He did everything to recover first, he's hungry to play"
- 00:18 NYCFC, three players out against FC Cincinnati
- 00:15 MLS Power Rankings - NYCFC is a deeply broken team right now