He becomes the first player to graduate NYCFC’s Academy and be sold to a major European club. The transfer is an unprecedented move for a player who has yet to make his Major League Soccer debut.
The initial transfer fee is the highest paid for a 16-year-old MLS player in league history. With potential bonuses, the seven-figure transfer fee could rise significantly to become one of the highest transfer fees received for a MLS player being transferred to a European club.
NYCFC will also receive a sell-on percentage if Scally is sold in the future.
NYCFC Sporting Director Claudio Reyna said: “It’s very exciting for Joe to move to the Bundesliga with Borussia Mönchengladbach and play in one of the best leagues in the world.
“He’ll remain with us for the 2020 season, but during that time he’ll be able to go over to Germany and begin adapting to those surroundings, so when he goes in January 2021, he is able to hit the ground running.
“He’s still 16 years old, so he has a lot of growth and development still to come. He works extremely hard, is very competitive, strives to get better and is a winner.
“This move is a culmination of work from our Academy staff and the Club to build him up from when he arrived as a 13-year-old to where he is today. I personally want to recognize the entire Academy for the work they’ve done in developing Joe. It’s extremely exciting for the Club and we’re very happy for him.”
Scally signed a Homegrown Contract with NYCFC in March 2018 becoming the Club’s second Academy Product. At the time of the signing, he was the second-youngest player to ever sign a professional contract in MLS behind Freddy Adu.
He made his professional debut coming on as a substitute for David Villa in the 57th minute in the 2018 U.S. Open Cup 4th Round match against the New York Red Bulls.
The defender helped the NYCFC Academy win multiple trophies during his time in the youth ranks. Scally won the 2017 Generation adidas Cup and the 2018 U.S. Soccer Development Academy National Championship with NYCFC’s Academy and was part of the U-19s impressive showing at the 2019 Dallas Cup.
The U.S. Youth International was a key part of the United States’ U-17 qualification for the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil. He started all three matches for the United States and assisted on Gianluca Busio’s 3rd minute goal in the opening match against Senegal.
Scally is one of three Academy Products currently in the NYCFC first team. James Sands signed with the Club in 2017 and appeared in 19 league matches this season. Justin Haak, who signed most recently this past January, played in three.
“As a young player at NYCFC, you know you’re going to get an opportunity. You know it’s a place where you’ll feel welcome and will excel in the game,” Scally said about his time in the Academy.
“All the time you put into training, some days you can’t hang out with your friends, but just know one day it will pay off. You know you’re at the right place when you join the Academy.”
All three NYCFC Homegrowns were part of the Club’s 2017 Generation adidas Cup and 2018 U.S. Soccer Development Academy National Championship title winning teams.
“The first year in the NYCFC Academy, all the coaches and staff who brought us in made us feel welcome. You knew it was a place you were going to develop your game and get better,” said Scally. “Everyone was so close, from the coaches to the players. All of us are like brothers. We all stuck together and accomplished great things as a team.”
The Club’s Academy is still very young and is in its fourth season with a full set of teams—U-12s through U-19s.
Reyna said: “Joe is one of our own. I think this move inspires the future players coming through the Academy that they can become a professional here and be just like Joe, James or Justin.”
Other news - Transfermarkt
- 20:03 Sean Johnson best player in the Hudson River Derby: a reason for pride but also for concern
- 19:23 NYCFC, Ronny Deila under accusation: an immediate change of direction is needed
- 15:55 Ronny Deila: "We have lost three points, we can do better than that"
- 11:18 NYCFC 0-1 Red Bulls: the Blues defeated in the Hudson River Derby
- 00:17 NYCFC, Deila: "We are one, we are a family"
- 14:54 NYCFC, Ronny Deila prepares tactical changes in the Hudson River Derby
- 13:09 NYCFC, two heavy absences for Deila in view of the Hudson River Derby
- 14:32 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Match Highlights
- 13:33 FC Cincinnati 1-2 NYCFC: Taty Castellanos is immediately decisive
- 15:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila: "We need to simplify the way we play"
- 14:00 New York City FC is ready to embrace Taty Castellanos again
- 10:44 NYCFC, two players out against FC Cincinnati
- 23:22 Deila: "“There's a big chance that Heber is back in the squad for the game"
- 22:29 NYCFC, Castellanos unavailable against FC Dallas. Ronny Deila evaluates the alternatives
- 19:00 NYCFC's Injury Report - Heber and Telles Magno out against Toronto FC
- 18:30 Ibeagha: "I will truly miss NYCFC"
- 18:08 OFFICIAL - New York City FC trades Sebastien Ibeagha to Los Angeles FC
- 22:44 Three NYCFC's players in the Team Of The Week
- 21:00 NYCFC, Ronny Deila finds a shining Taty Castellanos
- 20:00 Unforgettable day for Malte Amundsen: assist and first goal with NYCFC
- 19:12 NYCFC, interrupted the negative series against Orlando City
- 09:12 NYCFC 5-0 Orlando City SC: winning return of the Blues to the Bronx
- 23:05 NYCFC vs Orlando City: starting XI
- 21:01 NYCFC vs Orlando City: possibile starting XI
- 15:00 NYCFC vs Orlando City: no drops in concentration against Nani
- 14:19 NYCFC, four players out against Orlando City
- 22:30 NYCFC, Deila: "Cincinnati is a good soccer team"
- 21:53 NYCFC, Deila: "I don't want to see the team I saw last Saturday "
- 21:49 NYCFC Injury Report: Four absent for the home opener
- 19:51 NYCFC, Deila: "We are much stronger now than last year"
- 17:33 NYCFC injury report: six are the unavailable of Ronny Deila
- 20:00 NYCFC, Deila on Thiago Andrade: "He's a young talented"
- 19:00 NYCFC, Thiago Andrade: "I feel so happy to sign with a big club"
- 17:51 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Thiago Andrade
- 23:00 NYCFC, Deila: "Morales will help us improve"
- 22:00 Morales: "I'm really excited to play for New York City FC"
- 21:42 OFFICIAL - New York City FC signed Alfredo Morales