New York City FC have been able to keep their four attacking stars at the club for at least another season, with Alexandru Mitrita, Heber, Valentin Castellanos and Maxi Moralez all playing in the Sky Blue colours in 2020.
To add to that, the club will also continue to have Ismael Tajouri-Shradi and Gary Mackay-Steven as other attacking options this season, while the likes of Alexander Ring will remain a key part of the club’s midfield.
The entirety of the sides best defence from the 2019 campaign will be together for the upcoming term, with Alexander Callens and Maxime Chanot continuing to marshal the centre of that backline.
Anton Tinnerholm and Ronald Matarrita, one of the five men to achieve a 7/10 average rating last season, will also remain with the club and will be expected to be the starting full-backs, while Sean Johnson will continue to be the No.1 in between the sticks for the 2020 term.
Transfers & SuperDraft Picks
Three of the side’s full-backs have left the side this offseason, with two of those chosen in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft by the two new sides.
Inter Miami CF chose left-back Ben Sweat, while Nashville SC selected right-back Eric Miller. The third full-back to depart from the Bronx was Abdi Mohamed, with the African left-back dropping down to USL League One side Greenville Triumph SC.
New York City FC also lost two of their key midfielders come to the conclusion of the 2019 campaign, with Ghanaian Ebenezer Ofori has gone back to his parent club VfB Stuttgart, after spending last season on loan with the Sky Blues.
Attacking midfielder Daniel Bedoya also left the club in the off-season, joining Atletico Pantoja in the Dominican Republic, with the Colombian signing on a free transfer.
NYCFC brought in some midfield cover during the off-season, including Sporting KC’s Gedion Zelalem. They also signed Gudmundur Thorarinsson from Allsvenskan side Norrköping, the pair both coming in on free transfer deals.
The club did make one big-money signing in the off-season, bringing in defensive midfielder Keaton Parks on a permanent deal from SL Benfica, having had the American on loan for the 2019 season.
NYCFC selected three players at the 2020 MLS SuperDraft, using the 22nd pick in each of the first three rounds of the draft. Their first pick was Chicago UI midfielder, Jesus Perez, before selecting Notre Dame defender Felicien Dumas in the second round. NYCFC then chose Ohio State goalkeeper Parker Siegfried with the 74th overall selection in the Draft.
Other news - News
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York
- 23:30 Deila: “Our supporters can make the difference”
- 22:30 NYCFC, Squad Goals
- 21:30 City Support
- 20:30 Animals on the Loose
- 19:42 Injury Report: All Clear for Leg One
- 19:40 NYCFC, New Level
- 23:00 Castellanos: "Our fans are great, they are coming out"
- 22:40 Deila: "Fans Can Make the Difference vs. Tigres"
- 22:20 David Lee: "We're excited to welcome Efraìn"
- 22:00 Deila on Juàrez: "He will bring experience and energy"
- 21:45 NYCFC vs. Tigres UANL - Press Conference of Deila and Castellanos
- 21:39 Ronny Deila Adds Efraín Juárez to Staff
- 02:00 Deila: "I'm looking forward at the game of Wednesday"
- 01:00 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Grudge Match
- 00:01 Ronny Deila: "We're much better in the second half"
- 23:32 New York City FC, No Panic
- 21:00 CCL sellout at Red Bull Arena
- 20:00 Heber struggles after first-game flurry
- 19:03 Toronto FC’s Richie Laryea torments New York City FC and Ronald Matarrita again
- 22:02 TORONTO FC vs NYCFC 1-0: 81’ Achara
- 18:00 Replacing Max
- 17:00 NYCFC, We Go Again
- 16:00 Deila's options to replace Chanot
- 15:00 NYCFC, Revenge Mission
- 10:58 Injury Report - One Remains Out Against Toronto FC