New York City FC closed out their Florida Cup spell with another 2-1 loss against a Brazilian Serie A club, this time versus Palmeiras on Saturday afternoon after failing to maintain a lead.
In their second preseason match under new head coach Ronny Deila, NYCFC went ahead 1-0 in first-half stoppage time via a pair of U-19 academy forwards. Andres Jasson, who played for the US at the FIFA U-17 World Cup last fall, whipped in a cross that found the head of Osaze De Rosario, son of MLS legend Dwayne De Rosario. He beat Felipe Melo to the penalty spot and nodded home.
A young NYCFC team was then punished in the second half, starting with a deflected equalizer from Palmeiras forward Lucas Lima in the 53rd minute that evaded reserve goalkeeper Luis Barraza. Palmeiras found their match-winner in the 73rd minute via veteran forward Willian, who capitalized on a turnover at the back from James Sands, an NYCFC Homegrown Player.
Of concern for NYCFC fans, Maxi Moralez was subbed off in the 6th minute for Jasson. But the performance was also a step forward after Wednesday’s 2-1 defeat against Corinthians, with far more first-team regulars featuring.
Deila started a first-choice defensive unit, including right back Anton Tinnerholm, left back Ronald Matarrita and Alexander Callens and Maxime Chanot centrally. Alexander Ring and Keaton Parks both started in midfield, as did Alexandru Mitrita up top. However, the attack isn’t yet at full strength with Heber, Valentin Castellanos and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi all absent.
Ahead of NYCFC's Concacaf Champions League debut Feb. 20 at Costa Rican side AD San Carlos, they’ll now head out to California. They’ll face LAFC in a closed-doors friendly Jan. 31, and then another against a to-be-named opponent.
Altre notizie - News
- 19:00 NYCFC donates 100,000 meals to NY Common Pantry in coronavirus relief effort
- 18:27 NYCFC, An Update from Brad Sims
- 20:00 NYCFC helping with coronavirus impact close to home
- 19:39 NYCFC Meets with Ian Joy Powered by Cisco Webex | Ronny Deila
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York
- 23:30 Deila: “Our supporters can make the difference”
- 22:30 NYCFC, Squad Goals
- 21:30 City Support
- 20:30 Animals on the Loose
- 19:42 Injury Report: All Clear for Leg One
- 19:40 NYCFC, New Level
- 23:00 Castellanos: "Our fans are great, they are coming out"
- 22:40 Deila: "Fans Can Make the Difference vs. Tigres"
- 22:20 David Lee: "We're excited to welcome Efraìn"
- 22:00 Deila on Juàrez: "He will bring experience and energy"
- 21:45 NYCFC vs. Tigres UANL - Press Conference of Deila and Castellanos
- 21:39 Ronny Deila Adds Efraín Juárez to Staff
- 02:00 Deila: "I'm looking forward at the game of Wednesday"
- 01:00 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Grudge Match
- 00:01 Ronny Deila: "We're much better in the second half"
- 23:32 New York City FC, No Panic
- 21:00 CCL sellout at Red Bull Arena
- 20:00 Heber struggles after first-game flurry
- 19:03 Toronto FC’s Richie Laryea torments New York City FC and Ronald Matarrita again