The warning signs were there for New York City FC coach Ronny Deila long before Eduardo Vargas snuck in a rebound in second-half stoppage time to lift Tigres UANL to a 1-0 win in the first leg of the Concacaf Champions League quarterfinal Wednesday night at Red Bull Arena.
There were the multitude of chances in the first half, but perhaps more puzzling for the first-year coach was how NYCFC changed in the second half.
“The second half, as I said, why we stopped playing the way we do on the ball?” Deila said. “We’re still fighting and working together as a team, but we need to take more chances on the ball, so they have to get troubled, so they have to run after us. And that didn’t happen in the second half. It was too little on the ball.”
That allowed Tigres to get more into the game, and eventually, come away with a critical away goal at the death.
So what happened after halftime?
“I think a little bit is too much transition,” midfielder James Sands said. “Every time we did win it, we were just going, going, going. Sometimes we just have to put our foot on [the ball] and slow it down a little bit. That will give us the ball more and we’re not defending for so long.”
As for the opening 45 minutes, it played out exactly how Deila would have hoped and almost the same way it did against AD San Carlos.
On Wednesday night, though, those chances weren’t converted into goals.
“We get the ball in central, get it wide, put up the wingers one-v-one, get chances,” he said. “The way we played was fantastic. That’s something we have to continue.”
The difference, Deila said, was NYCFC were too rushed in the attacking third when those chances came against Tigres.
“I think we have to be more calm. In this situation, we have more time than we think we have. … I think we are a little bit stressed in these situations,” Deila said. “I think that’s the main part. The worse is if the chances [don’t come].”
Other news - News
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York
- 23:30 Deila: “Our supporters can make the difference”
- 22:30 NYCFC, Squad Goals
- 21:30 City Support
- 20:30 Animals on the Loose
- 19:42 Injury Report: All Clear for Leg One
- 19:40 NYCFC, New Level
- 23:00 Castellanos: "Our fans are great, they are coming out"
- 22:40 Deila: "Fans Can Make the Difference vs. Tigres"
- 22:20 David Lee: "We're excited to welcome Efraìn"
- 22:00 Deila on Juàrez: "He will bring experience and energy"
- 21:45 NYCFC vs. Tigres UANL - Press Conference of Deila and Castellanos
- 21:39 Ronny Deila Adds Efraín Juárez to Staff
- 02:00 Deila: "I'm looking forward at the game of Wednesday"
- 01:00 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Grudge Match
- 00:01 Ronny Deila: "We're much better in the second half"
- 23:32 New York City FC, No Panic
- 21:00 CCL sellout at Red Bull Arena
- 20:00 Heber struggles after first-game flurry
- 19:03 Toronto FC’s Richie Laryea torments New York City FC and Ronald Matarrita again
- 22:02 TORONTO FC vs NYCFC 1-0: 81’ Achara
- 18:00 Replacing Max
- 17:00 NYCFC, We Go Again
- 16:00 Deila's options to replace Chanot
- 15:00 NYCFC, Revenge Mission
- 10:58 Injury Report - One Remains Out Against Toronto FC