New York City FC announced on Thursday that a member of the club's sporting department had tested positive for COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus. The individual is said by the club to be feeling well after exhibiting mild symptoms and is currently observing appropriate isolation protocols.
In a statement, the club added:
NYCFC has been working closely with local infectious disease specialists who have instructed players, team staff and those believed to have come in close contact to maintain self-isolation and immediately report any symptoms they may be experiencing to team medical personnel. No other cases within NYCFC have been identified at this time.
In addition to working with an infectious disease specialist, NYCFC is in close consultation with the CDC, New York State Department of Health, Major League Soccer (MLS), Concacaf and relevant First Team opponents regarding this situation. The health and safety of NYCFC players, coaches, staff and fans continues to be the Club’s top priority. The Club is committed to the health practices outlined by the CDC and encourages all NYCFC fans and New Yorkers to do the same. Follow the links for the CDC's and New York State government's advice.
Earlier on Thursday, Major League Soccer announcedthat it was extending its postponement of all games in accordance with recent guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to cancel all mass gatherings for eight weeks. The league's target return date is May 10.
NYCFC CEO Brad Sims said that the individual confirmed to have COVID-19 is currently recovering at home and "feeling better after only a short illness."
He added that no members of the public or the club's supporters are thought to be at risk.
‘’We will continue to be diligent and work closely with our team of medical experts to do our part to keep our community safe, healthy and informed," Sims said. "Though we do not believe any fans or members of the public have been put at risk, sharing information is vital at this time and we will continue to proactively update with any further details or confirmed cases. Soccer is a team sport, and one thing we can implement during this challenging period is how to work together. This is a time when we all need to ensure we’re doing what’s best for the wider community and greater good. I would like to take this opportunity to encourage all fans to take care of themselves and one another. We are New Yorkers, and we will get through this together.”
Altre notizie - Focus
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York
- 23:30 Deila: “Our supporters can make the difference”
- 22:30 NYCFC, Squad Goals
- 21:30 City Support
- 20:30 Animals on the Loose
- 19:42 Injury Report: All Clear for Leg One
- 19:40 NYCFC, New Level
- 23:00 Castellanos: "Our fans are great, they are coming out"
- 22:40 Deila: "Fans Can Make the Difference vs. Tigres"
- 22:20 David Lee: "We're excited to welcome Efraìn"
- 22:00 Deila on Juàrez: "He will bring experience and energy"
- 21:45 NYCFC vs. Tigres UANL - Press Conference of Deila and Castellanos
- 21:39 Ronny Deila Adds Efraín Juárez to Staff
- 02:00 Deila: "I'm looking forward at the game of Wednesday"
- 01:00 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Grudge Match
- 00:01 Ronny Deila: "We're much better in the second half"
- 23:32 New York City FC, No Panic
- 21:00 CCL sellout at Red Bull Arena
- 20:00 Heber struggles after first-game flurry
- 19:03 Toronto FC’s Richie Laryea torments New York City FC and Ronald Matarrita again