Head Coach Ronny Deila made two changes from the lineup which took to the field at BMO Field on Saturday, with Keaton Parks and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi in for Maxi Moralez and Jesus Medina.
Taking on regular tournament finalists, NYCFC were slight underdogs in the eyes of many in the buildup, but they flew out of the blocks in the first leg creating chances from the jump.
A fired-up NYC created numerous clear chances to score in the first 45’, with the first arriving in the opening five minutes when Alex Callens almost scored in his third-successive Champions League match, instead firing just over the bar from a corner.
More opportunities fell for Alex Ring, Alexandru Mitriță and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi but they came up against a Tigres goalkeeper in Nahuel Guzman in excellent form.
Héber had another chance to work the Argentine stopper in the final minutes of the half and he was once again equal to the side footed shot after NYCFC’s no.9 found space to strike from Ring’s service.
Goalless at the break, Deila’s men picked up where they left off in the second half, forcing chances which they were unfortunately unable to take.
Héber went close again three minutes after the restart when Anton Tinnerholm found him with a cutback but the Brazilian’s shot from close range was blocked and he was replaced after a lively showing by Taty Castellanos on 64’.
Jesus Medina and Maxi Moralez followed their fellow South American forward into the game shortly after in place of Ismael Tajouri-Shradi and Keaton Parks as Deila shook up his attack in search of the go-ahead goal the team’s play had warranted.
Mitriță came close to providing a moment of inspiration on 77’ when he weaved into the area through a sea of defenders but his final touch just evaded the goal and the danger was cleared.
Sean Johnson had a quieter night than many expected but he stayed focused and came up big for his team once again on 86’, tipping over a deflected shot which was goalbound.
More late pressure ensued and it was Vargas who found the night’s only goal in stoppage-time, latching onto a loose ball in the box after Johnson had made another save.
The NYCFC defenders claimed offside but the goal stood, meaning City will have work to do in the second leg next Tuesday to overturn the deficit and the away goal.
Altre notizie - Focus
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York
- 23:30 Deila: “Our supporters can make the difference”
- 22:30 NYCFC, Squad Goals
- 21:30 City Support
- 20:30 Animals on the Loose
- 19:42 Injury Report: All Clear for Leg One
- 19:40 NYCFC, New Level
- 23:00 Castellanos: "Our fans are great, they are coming out"
- 22:40 Deila: "Fans Can Make the Difference vs. Tigres"
- 22:20 David Lee: "We're excited to welcome Efraìn"
- 22:00 Deila on Juàrez: "He will bring experience and energy"
- 21:45 NYCFC vs. Tigres UANL - Press Conference of Deila and Castellanos
- 21:39 Ronny Deila Adds Efraín Juárez to Staff
- 02:00 Deila: "I'm looking forward at the game of Wednesday"
- 01:00 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Grudge Match
- 00:01 Ronny Deila: "We're much better in the second half"
- 23:32 New York City FC, No Panic
- 21:00 CCL sellout at Red Bull Arena
- 20:00 Heber struggles after first-game flurry
- 19:03 Toronto FC’s Richie Laryea torments New York City FC and Ronald Matarrita again