Major League Soccer announced on Thursday that it was extending the suspension of all matches, with a target return date of May 10. The extension was made in accordance with Sunday's guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to cancel all mass gatherings of 50 or more people for the next eight weeks. The league said it remains intent on completing the full 2020 season schedule.
Below is the full statement from MLS:
In accordance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidance to postpone events involving more than 50 people over the next eight weeks, Major League Soccer has extended the postponement of its matches during this period of time. MLS remains focused on playing the entire 2020 season and is evaluating all options, including pushing back the end of the season and playing MLS Cup in December, as the league did prior to the 2019 season. The league is also identifying other available dates. Throughout this process, MLS will continue to prioritize the safety of our fans, players, employees and partners and to coordinate with federal and local public health authorities as well as other sporting organizations.
MLS announced a week ago that it was suspending play for 30 days in order to assess the impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus) with its medical task force and public health officials.
There have been more than 7,000 confirmed cases across all 50 U.S. states, Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico and 97 deaths, according to the CDC's latest reporting from noon Wednesday. In Canada, there have been 690 confirmed cases of the virus, according to Public Health Canada.
Altre notizie - Focus
- 21:20 Major League Soccer Unveils 'MLS Unites'
- 20:56 Andrea Pirlo: "FC Barcelona is waiting for me"
- 10:05 Maxi Moralez: "We'll return to Bergamo"
- 18:17 NYCFC's Maxi Moralez, Valentin Castellanos and Jesus Medina follow stay-at-home orders together — literally
- 17:22 COVID-19: New Restrictions in NYC
- 16:36 Maxi trains with the family and also with Medina and Castellanos
- 23:36 NYCFC confirm first case of COVID-19 in club's sporting department
- 16:12 MLS extends season suspension in accordance with CDC guidance on COVID-19
- 14:16 Maxi Moralez is training with the family
- 22:00 Stop the MLS: let's try to explain the COVID-19
- 21:30 Johnson: "We had to make a result"
- 21:25 Concacaf suspends Champions League due to coronavirus
- 21:03 Deila: NYCFC abandon style against Tigres UANL in second half of CCL loss
- 19:47 Club Statement
- 16:55 MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days in wake of coronavirus pandemic
- 13:00 New York City FC defeated by soccer law
- 12:00 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Ronny Deila Press Conference
- 11:07 NYCFC 0-1 Tigres UANL - Match Recap
- 00:30 Efrain Juarez joins Deila and Mackay-Steven at New York City FC
- 00:01 Hoops hat-trick in New York
- 23:30 Deila: “Our supporters can make the difference”
- 22:30 NYCFC, Squad Goals
- 21:30 City Support
- 20:30 Animals on the Loose
- 19:42 Injury Report: All Clear for Leg One
- 19:40 NYCFC, New Level
- 23:00 Castellanos: "Our fans are great, they are coming out"
- 22:40 Deila: "Fans Can Make the Difference vs. Tigres"
- 22:20 David Lee: "We're excited to welcome Efraìn"
- 22:00 Deila on Juàrez: "He will bring experience and energy"
- 21:45 NYCFC vs. Tigres UANL - Press Conference of Deila and Castellanos
- 21:39 Ronny Deila Adds Efraín Juárez to Staff
- 02:00 Deila: "I'm looking forward at the game of Wednesday"
- 01:00 Toronto FC vs. NYCFC - Grudge Match
- 00:01 Ronny Deila: "We're much better in the second half"
- 23:32 New York City FC, No Panic
- 21:00 CCL sellout at Red Bull Arena
- 20:00 Heber struggles after first-game flurry
- 19:03 Toronto FC’s Richie Laryea torments New York City FC and Ronald Matarrita again